May 06, 2024, 02:42:59 PM

News:

CB antenna length

Started by Ryder, March 12, 2009, 07:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryder

My CB antenna got broken and my neighbor had an old antenna left over after changing to shorties. It is maybe 6 to 8 inches longer than what the old CB antenna use to be. I did not use the CB but would like to get the proper length before I install it. Is there a standard length to cut it to. I know it has to be checked with a SWR meter if I want to transmit. That is why I would like to get it close to the right length.

Thanks

specialx1

think ya hook it up and check meter and then snip it as you go till you get proper reading ,but im sure more informed will answer ya
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

codyshop

Quote from: specialx1 on March 12, 2009, 07:28:01 PM
think ya hook it up and check meter and then snip it as you go till you get proper reading ,but im sure more informed will answer ya
Specialx1

That is exactly how you do it.  Try and get as close to 1:1 as you can.  Ray

Blockhead80

if you have a swr meter check
http://www.wearecb.com/support/setcbantenna.htm
for the information that you need

x52gnr

Quote from: specialx1 on March 12, 2009, 07:28:01 PM
Specialx1
agreed...makes quite a bit of difference when tuned in right
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

Panzer

Without a SWR meter kinda tough.
Another way........if you have a signal meter on the radio you can use that.
Turn radio on to the middle of all the channels, key the mic first to get a reading.
Then snip, snip, snip a little at a time to get the highest reading when keyed.
Maybe a trip to Radio Shack, they could lend their SWR meter to you while you snip.

Again, just saying
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.