May 04, 2024, 08:25:49 PM

News:

Umbrella valve position in rocker boxes

Started by RPG59, March 13, 2009, 05:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPG59

I have a friend who is putting the rocker boxes back on his 99 Sportster.
On the front head do the umbrella valves go closer to the exhaust or manifold port in the head?
On the rear head do they closer to exhaust or manifold port?

I looked in the manual for my 99 Evo and I couldn't find an answer for him.

jsachs1

Closer to the intakes on both heads. :up:
John

RPG59

John Thanks for the reply. 

Another question has come up. He has four small o rings that he is not sure if they go in the rocker boxes.

My manual does not show any o rings in the rocker boxes.

He had pulled the cylinder head and cylinder to have them painted and  buffed out.

My manual does show two inserts and o rings that go between the cylinder and cylinder head.

I am wondering if that may be where they need to go.

BKACHE

Their are 4 orings that go around the cyl to head alignment spacers. Earl coming down from the rockers will make a mess on the outside of the heads if you forget 'em. 
Dan

codyshop

Are they brown?  Most gasket makers (James, Cometic, Athena) have brown cylinder stud o-rings.  Ray

RPG59

March 13, 2009, 09:38:23 AM #5 Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 09:50:14 AM by RPG59
Ray,

He said they are brown. Are there two of these per cylinder? He started this project last winter and now is trying to put them back together. I told him last year he needed to get it back together while it was fresh in his mind but he kept wanted to add this and that  so now over a year latter he is trying to put it back together.

Are there any o rings in the rocker boxes?

wrongpaw

How big are they?  Could be they go on top of the pushrod tube where it fits into
the rockerbox.

Wrongpaw

codyshop

If they barely fit over the tip of your pinky, they are the cylinder stud o-rings.  The next size up would be the upper pushrod o-rings, but they are much thicker in cross section.  There are no other top end o-rings on the '99 XLH unless he has some kind of aftermarket breather assembly.  Ray

RPG59

My buddy pulled the cylinder heads last night and the o-rings were for the cylinder studs. Ray when you mentioned the brown color of the o-rings that sure pointed us in the right direction, thanks. He also had the umbrella valve in the wrong position on the front head. In the manual for my Fatboy and the Sportster manual diagram show it in that position but doesn't say if it is the front or rear cylinder so he thought it went in the front on both.

Anyway thanks to all that responded. Sure would have been a bummer to find these problems after he had the bike back together and started it up for the first ride after working on it for 2 years.