May 09, 2024, 05:00:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2012 883 killin battery

Started by oldskool, August 05, 2014, 05:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskool

Ok so this sporty is killing the battery. checked Regulator and stator. they check good. checked battery load test said battery was junk. replaced battery. installed new H.D gel cell. checked battery volts good started ran at 3000 rpm battery volts ran up to 14.9 volts . Manual says that charging system is charging by that check. Rode it and bike stalled and battery dead. any ideas as to what may be killing battery and what test I can do ?

Panzer

Old,
Even though you say the bike is charging, you have a bleed out faster then the stater can throw in a charge.
Time to purchase a volt meter and start tracing wires.
Like so many say on here, make sure all grounds are clean and tight, start from the battery, both + & -, not hard to over look....recheck it.
If you had a wiring short, I would think you would see some smoke from the wiring, but who knows?
I keep thinking ...... BATTERY !
If battery connection is lost, bike will die as you said it did.
Waiting for your reply.
Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Panzer

Ok Andy, jump in here.
                       I'd like your opinion from down under.  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

jbee

It might be worth checking if your regulator isn't one of the ones covered under HD's recall.
14.9 volts is quite close to the maximum charging voltage.
I've seen a few newer Sportsters developing problems from the way the alternator wires are routed down through the trans/gearbox area and rubs through the wiring over time. Might give you your 14+ volts but bugger all amperage.
Although I've not seen it on newer battery positive cables...it might be worth giving it a reasonable pull to see if it's corroded under the sheathing.
Does the battery lose voltage if left over night or does it maintain it's static state?

Good luck