May 06, 2024, 06:30:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Premium oil cooler fitment

Started by Tom, March 13, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I have a HD 26155-07 premium oil cool kit that I bought for an '08 FLHX that I never used (went with a Jagg instead).
My coworker wants to buy it for his '02 Road King.

According to the HD catalog fitment is as follows:
Fits '07-'08 Touring models. Stock on '07-'08 FLHTCUSE2/3. Does not fit with Chrome Display Stand P/N 99002-97A, Definitive5â,,¢ Filtration System Kit P/N 63800-07, 63801-07 or 63802-07, or models equipped with a sidecar.

Whats different on '07 up? frames are unchanged? is the oil filter adapter different on the 96" engines maybe?

IBARider

I've put one on my '02 and '08 and if memory serves me right... let's see, what was I sayin'  Oh yeah

both mount up around/under the regulator.  On the '02, the cooler bracket bolted under the regulator mounting bolts.  On my '08, there was an adaptor plate that bolted under the regulator, then the cooler bolted to the plate.  Not sure, but I think the newer one allowed usage of the chrome cover.

sorry I'm not much help.  Take it out of box and see what lines up on his '02 
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

IBARider

Quote from: IBARider on March 13, 2009, 08:23:22 AM
I've put one on my '02 and '08 and if memory serves me right... let's see, what was I sayin'  Oh yeah

both mount up around/under the regulator.  On the '02, the cooler bracket bolted under the regulator mounting bolts.  On my '08, there was an adaptor plate that bolted under the regulator, then the cooler bolted to the plate.  Not sure, but I think the newer one allowed usage of the chrome cover.

sorry I'm not much help.  Take it out of box and see what lines up on his '02 

Another difference, on the '02, you run hoses tied directly into oil return from engine then to tank.  I think they did away with the hoses in '06 or something and you need the adaptor that fits under filter for the '07.  So I'm guessin' the '02 can use your kit with or without the adaptor.  If he uses the adaptor, the oil is cooled before engine.  Without it and tieing into return then it is cooled after engine and before tank.  You still get a good temp drop, but if he has an oil temp gauge off the oil pan then the readings on it will be different depending where in the system the cooler is.   Get my drift.  If oil is cooled just before the pan, then gauge will be lower.  If oil is cooled before engine, it is heated up again before pan.  Am I confusing myself yet?  does this make sense?  overall, you'll still get a temp drop... 
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

mark61

I put one on my Y2K  roadking. Only problem I run in to is I now have to pull the flywheel sensor to get the filter on or off. Can't use the K&N  either cause of getting that sensor in or out. Sure makes it look cleaner and less of a worry bout those long hoses it got rid of.

mark61