May 08, 2024, 10:17:58 PM

News:

K&P engineering oil filter

Started by kgjl, August 08, 2014, 10:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgjl

Anybody using these? Good ? Bad?  They impressed me at Sturgis. It looks like a better mousetrap. What say you?

http://oilfiltersites.com/

evostroker

same type of filter we use on our top alcohol dragster...you can tell very quickly by the filter, the health of your motor

Jaycee1964

I love mine.  Never running out for a filter.  Easy cleanup and tells the story or not.  40,000 miles using mine so far.
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

RXBOB

Just started using one soon will pull out for a look

03NhHarley

Well this is good info to hear. I picked on up at Laconia, Cycle solutions has a larger one marketed by them claiming a decent reduction in oil temps.

No Cents

what do you use to clean the filter media with?

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

splitting_lanes

Quote from: No Cents on August 09, 2014, 03:57:43 AM
what do you use to clean the filter media with?

Ray

A couple ounces of gasoline.  Then wash it in hot soapy water.

I run mine through the dish washer when the OL isn't looking...   :teeth:

Tsani

ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Templer

Have one on the Dyna: PROS-flows more oil volume then OEM .It made the noise from the top end more quiet!! Looks nice and gets rid or a little heat. Do not have to buy more then one time as it is serviceable and installs easy. Clean up is as easy as carb cleaner or gasoline (SAFETY FIRST!!). When it is clean ya can see thru the filter element. Nice magnet so you can see metal that comes INTO unit. If you clean the element and strain thru a cheese cloth ( I use old soft cloth) Ya can see whatever the element catches. (ya do not make a mess cutting open a OEM filter). Makes a fraction more HP due to less HP use to flow thru filter. HAS a built in bypass just in case you get lazy and it clogs up!! Comes with extra quad ring and wrench !!!CONS: you have to use a o ring pick or similar tool to remove small pieces of ? that get into corners of element. YOU MUST use there removal tool or you will muck up the outside. Standard filter wrench will not fit!!! Universal finger type tears up nice finish. The micron measurement of the element is larger then OEM.  I give it :up: :up:

No Cents

:up:
thanks guys!
I'll have to look into maybe getting on of these.
I go thru 5- 6 K&N oil filters a season...so two or 3 seasons...it would pay for itself.

Ray

Templer

Love the "running it thru dish washer" You MUST not be married OR you wouldn't be for long!!!!! Shake it like a dog, Air compressor and evap to air. Ya must like the smell of gasoline when ya eat AND drink.

Deye76

"YOU MUST use there removal tool or you will muck up the outside. Standard filter wrench will not fit!!! "

Because it's very tight in the area (frame etc.) where the filter wrench is attached, be better if they had a hex nut like K&N.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

No Cents

you must of been reading my mind John   :hyst:
I plan on getting the brushed aluminum one and having a nut tigged to the end of it like a K&N filter uses.
It's super tight in my oil filter area with the oil cooler lines and my Mini Jaz to snake around.
I've got the K&N oil filter removal down to a science.

Ray

Templer

Dynas have room BUT IMO IF i had a way to attach a nut to the end (K&N) WITHOUT marking up the finish I WOULD!!!

JohnCA58

August 09, 2014, 09:12:24 AM #14 Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 11:31:16 PM by JohnCA58
Ray,  might as well get the Flo filter,  has the same micron rating, and has a hex to the end for removal.  :up:   I have installed a few of them,  on my bike I run the K&P and it does everything I need except I don't believe in the heat reduction claim LOL it could be very minute reduction. 

Templer,  OEM might have a better rating on the micron, but how about efficiency......  I know  the K&P  and FLO filter are absolute efficiency and the OEM is not.  which mean bigger crap flow thru it.

Get the FLO from CA Phil,  or the K&P

I clean mine with Kerosene and then simple green. 
YOLO

FXDBI

Had a K&P chrome filter for 6 years now, awesome filter I use a cut up 2l pop bottle with a 3/8 extension thru the end on the wrench to remove it . Wash it with varsol in a 4 liter ice cream bucket and use break clean sprayed from the inside out ( opposite of the flow) the blow with air the same way. Still on the first quad seal turned it once. Couldn't be happier with the product! Real nice breaking in a new engine you see everything it catches and you can do just the filter to decide if you need to drop the oil has well yet. The rare earth magnet works awesome and I find very little on the drain plug magnet the one on the filter gets the most of it. Want to buy one for my truck has well has this works so well on the bike.  Bob

mrmike

August 09, 2014, 10:18:45 AM #16 Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 10:24:16 AM by mrmike
I went with the Pure Power unit, it has a slightly better filtration rating.

I also liked the construction better.

Cleaning should be real simple, hot water and simple green in a small bucket do the stainless air filter first then the oil filter.

https://shop.gopurepower.com/oil-filters/spin-on-direct-oem-replacement/pure-power-harley-davidson-lifetime-motorcycle-oil-filter-213.html

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

Templer

Yo JohnCA58: the name ends Er not Ar. I have marks on my a** from the TemplArs in my area. No Badge on my chest. Still better IMO then the  HD units.

No Cents

August 09, 2014, 10:58:29 AM #18 Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 11:24:53 AM by No Cents
Quote from: JohnCA58 on August 09, 2014, 09:12:24 AM
Ray,  might as well get the Flo filter,  has the same micron rating, and has a hex to the end for removal.  :up:   I have installed a few of them,  on my bike I run the K&P and it does everything I need except I don't believe in the heat reduction claim LOL it could be very minute reduction. 

Templar,  OEM might have a better rating on the micron, but how about efficiency......  I know  the K&P  and FLO filter are absolute efficiency and the OEM is not.  which mean bigger crap flow thru it.

Get the FLO from CA Phil,  or the K&P

I clean mine with Kerosene and then simple green.
:up:
thanks for the tip John!
I just ordered the FLO filter.
Price wise it was a little cheaper than the K&P oil filter...and it looks identical in the spec's.
After watching their video for the FLO filter and seeing the nut on the end for easier removal for me...it sold me on the filter.
I found the costs was only $119.95 plus $6.95 to ship thru PC Racing.

Ray

added later:
If anyone is interested in the FLO oil filter...I found it on Amazon.com for $90.04 with free shipping...part# PCS4C.
I should have looked around before buying mine so fast   :doh:  oh well.

turboprop

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

No Cents

I acted a little too quick Ed.  :doh:  I thought that was a good deal after seeing the pricing on the K&P oil filters.
I called PC Racing and left them a voice mail to cancel my order if they didn't want to price match the price I found on Amazon.
I'll see what they do.

Ray

JohnCA58

Templer  sorry about the name mistake.    iPhone autocorrect .  On my way to Alice's Restaurant on the coast's  beautiful day for ride. 
YOLO

No Cents

I looked a little harder and found it for this price...this one is tough to beat and a great deal.

Ray

[attach=0]

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

jam65

I'd call that Powersport place to make sure of the price and if the part is in stock. I've had some issues with those people.

gordonr

The only down side I've found is cleaning these stainless media type filters properly. Doing it requires an ultra sonic cleaner like something from harbor freight. 30 to 40 bucks.
"If was easy everyone would do it"