May 05, 2024, 01:11:18 AM

News:

stock HD touring shocks

Started by willymax4, March 13, 2009, 09:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willymax4

i pump up my shocks to the desired pressure per the owner's manual with the HD hand pump and a couple days later i check the pressure and they're down to almost nothing.
are the stock shocks known to lose pressure?
the bike is an 08 FLHTCU.
RIDE LIKE HELL AND YOU'LL PROBABLY WIND UP THERE

tireater

Try some soapy water around the connections and the place you fill it....I bet it is not the shock itself...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Princess Butt

I've two different bikes with the air shocks: a 1997 Road King, and a 2006 Ultra.

The Road King I can inflate the suspension to 10 pounds, and it will stay there for a year.

The Ultra, I can inflate the suspension to 10 pounds, and it will lose air over the course of a couple months. When I picked the bike up new at the dealer, they told me I should check the air in the suspension every week.

As always, your results may vary. I would check for leaks if it goes down in a few days. Usually, the culprits are the fill valves, or where the plastic tubing goes into the shocks. Also, check the lines for chafing.

Don't overinflate them looking for a leak, or you will blow out the shocks. Don't ask me how I know. :emsad:

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

mark61

Mine have not leaked in 8 years now. Lose a little over time I suspect is from heating and cooling but never a major amount.

mark61

willymax4

i'm off to the garage with a spray bottle of soapy water to check the fittings.
hopefully it's something simple like a fitting or chafed line. i've never put more than ten pounds in them and the bike only has 4500 miles on it.

drgn*95

The shocks on my 06 SG have always leaked down. To be honest I can't tell alot of difference when down to 0 psi. I just fill them back up when I check my tire pressures.

willymax4

UPDATE
found a leaky fitting with suds, tightened it up a little and pumped them up to 15 psi. i'll check them again in a few days, hopefully that fixed the problem.
thanks to every one who replied.

willymax4

after looking close at those fittings, i'm thinking what a cheap looking affair. all they do is snap together to make a seal. i wonder if there isn't something better out there to replace them with.

PoorUB

Quote from: willymax4 on March 13, 2009, 12:13:23 PM
after looking close at those fittings, I'm thinking what a cheap looking affair. all they do is snap together to make a seal. i wonder if there isn't something better out there to replace them with.

I would not bother. Those quick disconnect fitting HD uses on their shocks are actually pretty good fittings. I worked at a CNC machine shop years ago and we had machines costing a $250,000 using the same fittings on air lines, never a problem with the fittings. Real neat fitting as you can just push in the plastic ring, and pull out the air line. As long as the air line is in good shape, and the o-ring in the fitting is good, they will not leak. If they leak, I would replace them with the same fitting if you can not get them to stop.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ken R

Quote from: willymax4 on March 13, 2009, 12:02:59 PM
UPDATE
found a leaky fitting with suds, tightened it up a little and pumped them up to 15 psi. i'll check them again in a few days, hopefully that fixed the problem.
thanks to every one who replied.

Please let us know.  I'm considering going back to stock shocks instead of the 440's that I now have.  I'm thinking that mine leaked at the fittings, also. 

RoadGlide0611

Why would you be going back to stock?  I thought the 440's were suppose to be far Superior.
2009 Road Glide, 107 with S&S 551 cams, Dresser Duals, Rev Performance EMS

Ken R

Quote from: HarleyTenFour on March 13, 2009, 05:26:08 PM
Why would you be going back to stock?  I thought the 440's were suppose to be far Superior.

I bought and installed them because everyone said that they were so superior.  Quite honestly, I couldn't tell the difference.   They have downsides in my opinion:
#1:  They need to be manually adjusted when going on a ride 2-up   (she's  not as light as she used to be) :cry:
#2:  Several reports of leakers have been published (under warranty, but leaks occur nonetheless).  Mine leak.
#3:  We've bottomed out several times riding 2-up, even when the pre-load was at max.  (see #1, above)

So when I take 'em off to send  to Progressive for warranty service, I'll have them install the HD springs as well.  I'm glad I kept the stock shocks.  I'll put 'em back on in the interim.  If I like 'em o.k., I'll  keep 'em on and sell the Progressives.  They'll be like new. 

willymax4

thought i'd better check back in about those shocks. still holding 15 psi as of this evening. i'm gonna keep a better eye on those fittings. found one that was not snapped closed and it looks like that was the problem. thanks for all the replies.

PoorUB

The stock shocks on my '05 Ultra don't leak. I checked them today and still had 20 PSI in 'em from last summer.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

redrokit8

HARLEY TEN FOUR

I also had put 440's on an Ultra and was never as comfortable as I was with the stock "air" shocks. I had bought into all of the hype that the 440's will transform the ride quality etc etc. They worked but to my mind not better.
I now have an FLTR and I wouldn't switch from the factory units. The bike handles and rides great as is and I have no illusions that here is something out there drastically different.
I have never really experienced any real shock leak down. They seem to hold for the season just fine.
Vietnam Vet 66-67, 4th & 25th Inf Divisions CIB
LZ Hope
'09 FLTR  Roseland NJ

Ken R

Quote from: willymax4 on March 15, 2009, 05:33:05 PM
thought i'd better check back in about those shocks. still holding 15 psi as of this evening. i'm gonna keep a better eye on those fittings. found one that was not snapped closed and it looks like that was the problem. thanks for all the replies.

My guess is that the leaks will ALWAYS be in the air tubes, shrader valves, or connections.  If elsewhere, you'd have an oily mess. 

Ken