April 27, 2024, 02:11:15 AM

News:

Lost Power

Started by 04rkryder, August 11, 2014, 06:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

04rkryder

95 Heritage Softtail, Mikuni, HSR42 Crane HI-4 Ignition. Bike was running fine and then lost power. Needed  WOT to get through intersection and sounded like a old model T. Made it home and checked that both cylinders are firing. Bike sat for several weeks while I was on roadtrip. Got back home and drained tank thinking maybe bad gas, filled with fresh gas and started right up and ran fine for 3 miles till it warmed up and back to lost power. Seems like it isn't getting fuel but don't know why it only happens after bike is warmed up. Don't know Mikuni carbs, always had S&S so before I pull carb apart and mess it up, any other things to check first. Could it be the Ignition module?

Rugby_fxdwg

Is it a HI-4E? Or a nose cone HI-4? If its a nose cone, it could be, how is the coil? Do you have a cover on the coil?
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

04rkryder

It's a nose cone HI-4 and yes there is a cover on the coil. I was going to try it with the nose cone cover off, maybe I'll pull the coil cover also.

Hossamania

A friends Fatboy had the coil cover vibrate and move enough to short out the coil. Removed cover, problem solved.
Check gas tank venting, gas cap vent as well. Try opening a gas cap when it acts up to see if that solves the problem, may hear a "whoosh" when you open the cap. Indicates lack of venting.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

04rkryder

Thanks, I'll try opening the gas cap next time I take it out. It's a project bike so I don't use it much. My luck it's something more expensive and money is a little tight right now.

04rkryder

Original statement "Made it home and checked that both cylinders are firing" was in error. I assumed that because I could feel exhaust pulses from both pipes that both cylinders were firing. Further investigating today revealed that the pipes have a equalizer(power chamber) between pipes. Found rear cylinder not firing after warmup. Coil tests show same readings front and rear cylinder. Guess it's time for a new ignition module. Ordered Dyna2000i today.

04rkryder

Installed new Dyna2000i, bike is running fine again.

Hossamania

Thanks for posting follow-up results.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Oclaf

Quote from: 04rkryder on August 13, 2014, 03:25:29 PM
Original statement "Made it home and checked that both cylinders are firing" was in error. I assumed that because I could feel exhaust pulses from both pipes that both cylinders were firing. Further investigating today revealed that the pipes have a equalizer(power chamber) between pipes. Found rear cylinder not firing after warmup. Coil tests show same readings front and rear cylinder. Guess it's time for a new ignition module. Ordered Dyna2000i today.

sell it... :smiled: