May 04, 2024, 01:04:25 PM

News:

Welding real old cast iron, locally

Started by ricochet, March 13, 2009, 10:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricochet

I know I've asked a long time ago but is there anyone in the Southern NH to Lawrence Ma. area that can weld up a broken rocker box mounting tab on an old knucklehead head.  I've had it at the local crank shop forever waiting and they apparently can't do it.  Figured they could handle it being cast and they supposedly do blocks all the time.  Tab is the center one of the 3 and cleanly broken and still with the head.  Fits back perfectly.

ricochet

TN

Quote from: ricochet on March 13, 2009, 10:13:51 AM
I know I've asked a long time ago but is there anyone in the Southern NH to Lawrence Ma. area that can weld up a broken rocker box mounting tab on an old knucklehead head.  I've had it at the local crank shop forever waiting and they apparently can't do it.  Figured they could handle it being cast and they supposedly do blocks all the time.  Tab is the center one of the 3 and cleanly broken and still with the head.  Fits back perfectly.

ricochet

i think brazing it would be an option. tig welding with inconel filler maybe. why can't they do it?

TN
Just Ride..........

the Grump

They make Arc Welding rods for Cast Iron now. Although, you need to have a DC welder. I friend of mine in Pa has done numerous engine block with them. He said they work great.

apendejo

Back in the days when I was repairing machinery I would tackle a problem like that by drilling and pinning the broken part then prepping the crack area with a v groove, then tig it using Everdure (silicon bronze) as a filler.
Worked very well on food and candy making machines and they saw a lot more stress than that knucklehead.
Sorry I can't help you with a local recommendation.
AP

ricochet

I think they're just chicken.  Was worried about intorducing problems because of it's age.  To look at it you'd think it could just be superglued on the break is that clean.  I was considering drilling, tapping as in the pinning comment mentioned and either leave it at that or brazing.  Still think someone couldput it in a vice or clamp it and go at it.  Really doesn't see that much tension when assembled correctly and shimmed if necessary.

ricochet

razar

Call Ron Pryor in Stratham, NH.  I don't have his number, but he is a master welder.
Razar
USMC (69-74) 0311
03 RK Luxury Blue    02 Ford F150 HD Supercharged

truck

Aged cast iron is a good thing, it is stable.
Scarcity of the part is probably what is making them shy about welding it.
If the tab can't be welded back on, just build up the casting in that area then grind or machine as needed to get the tab back.
I'm not a welder by any stretch, but I was a machinist that made some mistakes and the welders were always able to build up the mistakes with 'nirod'? then some more machining and all is good again.
Sometimes the welding took days due to the size of the part but it was always salvageable.
Example of size:

While that shaft is steel, sometimes they needed welding too, your repair can be done, no question about it.

Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

FXDBI

Been a ticket B pressure welder for over 20yrs, welded lots of cast. Contrary to popular belief IT CAN NOT ALWAYS BE WELDED. depends on the cast iron and the silica content and how even the casting is for grain structure. It is quite possible they declined because they don't want the responsibility if it breaks after or the mess it up trying to weld it. The best way is to gas weld it using cast rods and lots of flux,lotsa heat and a slow slow cooling even then it can crack right beside the weld. Be glad they declined instead of wrecking it and your out the part. Better off finding someone who feels confident to do it.  Look for a cast iron welding shop that does heads and see what they say.....Bob

northbrun

there is a company in the area. just over the NH line that I did some work with in the past. some of the welding they do is out of this world high teck. if i remember there name is Donavan welding. sorry brain fart at the moment, but if you want more info e-mailme and i'll rack my brain some.

Pass another  :beer: please.

mark61

Check with Bill's ustom Cycle in Bloomsburg, Pa. I have seen them weld old knuckle heads for similar repairs.

mark61