May 04, 2024, 04:33:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

UPS got the contract

Started by road-dawgs1, March 13, 2009, 01:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

road-dawgs1

In January HD had announced that they were getting rid of their fleet and contracting bike shipments.  They announced yesterday that UPS Freight Truckload was chosen for its "total program value, which focuses on cost, quality, delivery timing, asset management and existing logistics networks."
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

truck

Overnite Express is a UPS contractor, so next time you see a gray truck there could be Harleys in it.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

HroadhogD1

I hope they take better care of the bikes, than some of the packages I have got.

Sonny S.

Not good for HD truck drivers.   :down:
Gonna miss seing the Harley Davidson rigs on the road....always a pretty sight.

rkrdr2

Overnite..aka..Ups freight....another under paying..no overtime paying sh-t outfit....they spent millions of dollars over the years to stay out of the union..to only get bought by the largest union carrier..those Harley Davidson driving jobs were great jobs..guys making a good upper middle class wages.....another kick in the ass for the middle class working man.........

aquaman

I wonder if they will apply the "3 foot drop" rule to the bikes that they are gonna carry?  Might see a lot of good deals on salvage bikes in the next couple of years until HD squeals. :up:
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock.
Will Rogers

Dennis The Menace

Maybe they wont forklift every other container, like DHL does.  You wouldnt believe what they (DHL) have done to some of our shipments...they suck.  UPS any day.

menace

Princess Butt

UPS isn't all that bad. Unfortunate about the loss of the HD fleet. I always thought the trucks were great advertisment.

UPS and FedEx will beat the snot out of DHL. I've never received a package via DHL that WASN'T damaged.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

Anthony

I was talking to one of the drivers the other day. UPS is taking over the H-D trucks so we will still see them on the road. Also UPS is supposed to hire 50 of the 75 H-D drivers. So I am told. Anthony

bigtoe

after reading this post I had to comment. I would like to start by saying it sucks that Harley got rid of some of their drivers. I love seeing those rigs going down the road. I'm a (feeder) driver for UPS,the package side of the business.
I just wanted to clear a few things up. Ups freight drivers are not contractors for Ups but, Ups employees.
 They are union employees with good pay and benefits.I know it doesn't matter to the guys who have lost their jobs at HD but, after reading the post just thought I would let you guys know.

apendejo

As long as H-D does not mark the containers "FRAGILE" and "HANDLE WITH CARE" I think the shipments will arrive ok. :hyst:
AP

Shadowdog

Hi Guys,

You do know that UPS has automated machinery that actually throws packages. BTW, I was under the impression that DHL was shutting down US operations?

Best,

Shadowdog
:beer: :potstir:
Best to all,

Shadowdog  Smoke um till the wheels fall off!