May 06, 2024, 02:42:48 AM

News:

OT: Need some Colorado info

Started by RainDodger, March 13, 2009, 02:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RainDodger

I need some help from some Colorado folks. I've got about a week or 10 days in the summer. If I were to spend that time in Colorado in one location, what area would you suggest I stay that would have interesting day trips for riding? I'd be returning to the same place each night or maybe staying out for a 2 day ride. I'm working a time-share deal and will likely be able to stay somewhere like Aspen, Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs, Estes Park, Pagosa Springs and a few other places. I'll drive straight thru from home to CO, trailering the bike. While I'm there, I'll have the bike and if the wife doesn't want to ride with me, she'll have the 4-wheeler. :)

Any Colorado guys got some good advice?

Thanks.

Roger

OFBagger

I would stay around the Gunnison area, Aspen, Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs, Estes Park = $$$$ , but I am just a cheap OFOPOS.

There's not much to see east of the divide, lot of nice rides within a day of Gunnison, even close to Canyon Lands and Arches National Parks in Utah

OFB

stro1965

Wife and I have spent many vacations in the Aspen area, specifically Glenwood Springs.  One of our favorite places on this earth.  Pretty no matter which direction you go (OK, not so much to the west).  Last time we vacationed in Colorado though, we were in the Durango area and really liked that too.  We drove through a park with a long canyon (Black Canyon maybe?) that was breathtaking.  We were in a car for that one but I want to go back on the bike.

texaskatfish

Dodger no CO native here but I did live in Denver from '93 - '03 and traveled all directions (still didnt get to see HALF of all the fantastic roads)

Pagosa Sprgs would be a good spot for several directional runs - 2 or 3 directions from there towards the north (South Park & Kenosha Pass) / north northwest ( Monarch Pass Independence Pass) / northwest (Grand Mesa) - West to Durango / South into northern NM (Eagle's Nest / Raton / Red River Taos / Rio Grande gorge n such)

Canyon City has the Royal Gorge as well (deeper than the Rio Grande version - but for my 2 cents the Rio Grande one is purtier)

Pack every dang thing you own on the bike and pray you only need half of it - no surprise at all to experience rain / sleet / hail / snow / sunshine all in one single afternoon (sometimes ALL of those in an hour!)

Havva BLAST, ride safe, and take LOTSA pics!
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

takwolf

I live in Loveland. Estes Park would be good for Rocky Mtn. Nat. Park, -Peak-to-Peak Hiway to Nederland, down to Boulder, back North to Hwy. 34, and back to Estes Park. A nice ride. -You can make Colo. Springs and up Pike's Peak in a day. -Up Hwy. 287 through Ft. Collins to Wyoming. You can buy me dinner-LOL. Lots of stuff to do.
Yes, DO pack everything ya got, weather can change into anything in the mountains.
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

Rokinrider

We always stay in the Buena Vista area. Nice town and you can do some awesome day trips. B.V. has some great restraunts and cantinas!!!

Rokin :beer:
Mclintock! swell party were the whiskey?

Pzokes

We were in southern CO last year and there were a lot of "boomers" there working for the oil drilling crews.  We had trouble getting a motel room and ended up continuing over the Rockies to get a room. 
There's miles to go before I sleep.

sfarson

RainDodger... I would echo the Gunnison suggestion.  Have ridden just about every paved road in the Colorado Rockies.  Gunnison would be on the short list for a good ground zero, great destinations and back, 360 degrees of riding.  A downside to Gunnison would be limited night life/shopping for your honey bunch.  Many of the locations noted above offer good riding for several days, but there's only so many roads/rides... but the towns are more "tourist friendly".  A consideration is can you find a timeshare in Gunnison (There's plenty of reasonable lodging), and if not, you could head north 20 minutes from Gunnison to Crested Butte where there would certainly be time shares. 

Looking over your list again, I would put Estes Park on the short list as well.  When you decide, PM me and I'll respond with some siggestions.

82fxrstroker

Raindodger,
   Glenwood Springs is a good hub city for what you want to do.  You can go to Aspen and up Independence Pass to Leadville and down Tennessee Pass to I-70 and back, Steamboat Springs is an easy day ride take I-70 to Wolcott to Steamboat,  Grand Junction has Co. National monument 100mi.west from Glenwood and my favorite is 133 Mclure Pass to the Black Canyon hwy.92 and down to Durango and loop back up thru Telluride over to  Ridgeway.  I would recommend taking two days for the Durango loop as it is amazing scenery.  We like to stay in Oruay when we go down that way good food there, especially The Outlaw restaurant.  There is also a HD dealer here in GS if you need.  Gunnison would also be good but it's hard to beat the GS hot springs pool after a days ride, Steamboat and Ouray also have hot springs.     

MtnRider2

I live 40 miles west of Steamboat and do the Glenwood loop about ever month. from May till October. Thats only a 300 miler if ya cut accross one the 20 Mile Road at Oak Creek. But then you miss Steamboat. I you do choose Steamboat don't miss the Hot Springs at Straberry Park. Personaly I think the best bang for the buck are all the loops south of I-70 except for Trail Ridge and the road between Estase Park and Blackhawk. Oil and gas workers are all leaving, at least the north west area. So hotels are opening up and hopefully the prices are comming down. Seen tonight the price of Deisel was down to 2.19 and regular was 1.91. Haven't really spent a night any were in Colorado that I did have fun some were. Seems like all the old mining towns have neet hotels. my favorite are in Ouray and Glenwood.

MtnRider2

Actualy no one here was B.S. n ya about the towns and pass's... way to many places to go and not EVEN enough time to visit them all even for us locals. Oh ya... the state Hog Ralley is in Monrose this year and that has all kinds of possabilities of loops.

82fxrstroker

Mtnrider2,
    Friend and I did Meeker over Ripple Creek Pass to Oak Creek last year, interesting ride on a HD to say the least.  Will bring the moto-x bike next time.  Great scenery around Trappers Lake and the Flat Tops!

Steppinout

Another vote for Gunnison.  If there, the ABC Motel is an excellent place to stay. CLEAN rooms at a reasonable rate.  Biker friendly.  If you chat up the owner, he will take you fishing, or throw some pike on the grill for you. From there you are walking distance from places to eat, drinks, and downtown. Plenty of day rides 360.  Whitewater rafting any level you want. But regardless of where you end up, you really can't go wrong in Colorado! 

Go for it!

Steppinout!

Upswept

I'd stay in Montrose.  Have a good time wherever you stay, but remember, you must be partial to rain.  Every morning when you get up, the skies will be clear and blue as far as the eye can see.  By 11:00, the skies will be mostly cloudy.  By 1:00, the clouds will be black.  By 1:30, you will be soaked.  By 4:00, the skies will be clear and blue again.  It happens almost every day in the Colorado mountains.

sandrooney

I live in Colorado, and can,t remember getting wet once last year. Yes it can happen depending on the time of year, and Montrose going up to Silverton and Durango can be prone to it. The afternooner boomers only last about half hour most of the time. To see that area is worth every drop. I have lived here fo 15 years and some years are worse than others for the boomers, just stop for a little break and they will go away. Like I said last year was good.
Just my experience,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

texaskatfish

Quote from: 82fxrstroker on March 14, 2009, 10:57:42 PM
Mtnrider2,
    Friend and I did Meeker over Ripple Creek Pass to Oak Creek last year, interesting ride on a HD to say the least.  Will bring the moto-x bike next time.  Great scenery around Trappers Lake and the Flat Tops!

82fxrs - Ah yes the "you can't get there from HERE country!" (aka The Flattops Wilderness)

We met a cowboy guide in the summer of '97 up above Buford to guide us on horseback and carry my Pop's ashes up to his all time favorite hunting / fishing spot at Upper Marvine Lake.

It was an all day ride up and back - we saw 4 or 5 different colors of Columbine flowers and Aspens so old they were some 2 - 3 feet thick at the base / over 100 feet tall and had initials carved in the bark from the 20's & 30's. It was the most gorgeous scenery I've ever witnessed A N Y W H E R E - bar NONE.....................
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

Pzokes

The ride up to Silverton is nice.  The ride down to Durango is great too.  Durango has has a lot of motel rooms at reasonable prices.  We've found that lots of bikers stay in Durango for the night.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

Tow-Truck

Quote from: takwolf on March 13, 2009, 07:04:00 PM
Yes, DO pack everything ya got, weather can change into anything in the mountains.

Ain't that the truth!
In mid August last year as I headed West, Nebraska was in the nineties but I-25 was blocked with snow, and me with no coat!

Memnar

Born and raised in Colorado. Been all over the state. Gunnison would be my choice.
Albuquerque, NM.

fxrp

OK, here's another vot for Gunnison.

You're within a days drive of Cripple Creek, Royal Gorge, Leadville, Vail, Telluride, lots of neat rides/places.

I have a route from Gunnison to Durango and back that I take my flatlander friends on when they come out to visit.

Nine miles west of Gunnison turn south on Hwy 149.
On 149 you will go over Slumgullion Pass 11,361 ft and Sprin Creek Pass 10,901 ft.
Turn West on U.S. 160 toward Durango; you'll go over Wolf Creek Pass 10,550 ft
Stay over in Durango
Leave Durango North on U.S. 550
You'll go over Coal Bank Pass, 10,640 ft, Molas Divide 10, 910 ft, and Red Mountain Pass 11,018 ft.
Stop in Ouray for lunch, I recommend a place called Papillon's. Gourmet bakery and fantastic sandwiches.
Continue North on 550 to Montrose and turn East on U.S. 50 toward Gunnison.
On the way back you'll ride through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

It could be done in one day but you wouldn't get to spend much time off the bike. By the time you return to Gunnison you'll have ridden over 2 11k + passes and 4 10k + passes.

Paul

rayfeldt

March 15, 2009, 09:48:47 AM #20 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:49:59 AM by rayfeldt
Eat breakfast at Buena Vista Co, at the truck stop.  The big Ed is killer....

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Memnar

RainDodger - since you are staying at a time share - what one is it? RCI? or the other one?

-Erik
Albuquerque, NM.

02roadcling

Geez man, how much did big ed eat before he puked?

:hyst:
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

MtnRider2

If ya want a ride to remmber try the Ripple Creek Pass road in mid June just after a dozer made the first pass through to upen it up for summer traffic. Did that in the mid 80's on an 1100 yahama. There was so much mud on the tires that I had to keep stopping to dig it and or it would stall out the bike. That road is crap even when it dries out, if it isn't the dust its the 2 inch minus river gravel they cap it with. Used to spend every spring on the White River. Before the fishing got all jacked up with wirling desease. Still have several friends that live in Buford. Including the ranch manager for Marvine Ranch.

GoFast.....

One thing flatlanders need to remember is the altitude change. Some times it is better to not stay at such a high altitude. if you live at sealevel and you go stasy at 8000 ft. You will feel. For so people it Altitude Sickness. A central place is good becuase there is great riding every where. up in the mountians Dillion is a good place. It is in the center of a lot of great places to ride to
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber