May 09, 2024, 01:06:50 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Which Clutch Basket...Evo Ind. or Barnett

Started by No Cents, August 16, 2014, 10:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

Quote from: strokerjlk on August 18, 2014, 05:05:09 PM
Quote from: qtrracer on August 18, 2014, 04:14:05 PM
No, I was only told, but that ain't answering your question is it?LOL
No ...but getting it to hold 302 hp to even make a graph is good . :up:

Might find it here.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hiro-Koiso-Racing/287713362641

strokerjlk

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

04 SE Deuce

The only thing I would consider based on the material used for the basket is wear from the clutch plate tabs on the basket fingers.  More of a concern on dry clutches or friction plates that are steel.  Barnett's basket for dry Ducati clutches uses a stainless steel piece the wraps around the inside and edges of the aluminum basket fingers...instead of replacing the basket you replace the stainless pieces.    Rick

clawdog60

No Cents

I'll pass along the info I learned today.
I talked to Barnett, Evo Ind., and AIM today on the phone trying to get to the bottom of this clutch basket delima and find out the truth of who actually makes what.
Now...let me see if I can get all this straight from what I was told today.
Evo Ind. makes the clutch baskets for both Barnett and AIM.
Barnett makes the clutches for both Bandit, and AIM.
Evo Ind. did give me a phone number to a guy that they have been working with on testing clutch set ups for the drag strip for them. He said they will have a drag strip lock up clutch set up out later this fall for the serious racers on the drag strips.
The gentleman at Barnett did fess up and said their clutch basket for the 07- up T/C was also a two piece unit and it is made for them by Evo Ind. from 6061 aluminum and not 7075 like their web site stated. He said their 6061 aluminum clutch baskets have been tested and they will hold over 200 hp...and they have never had one...or heard of one shattering.
Barnett also said their newest designed Scorpion low profile lock up clutch will hold way in excess of 200 hp...and it will not slip.
I told him I was looking for a clutch that would let me launch my bike off the line and not have it stand straight up and down. He said if I was wanting it to be able to slip the clutch some coming off the line at the drag strip before it going into full lock up...it could be done with using their different springs in the clutch, and by changing the weights on the lock up. He said it would be up to me to find the combo that works the best for me...but this low profile lock up was designed for this kind of race track adjustability in mind. He also said this new low profile lock up was designed to work behind the factory primary cover and once it was dialed in for the intended use...you won't find a better/stronger clutch set up on the market.
So...I told him I had talked to Bandit about possibly having a 2 stage clutch made using a MTC lock up that would let me come up to the line and stage...and be able to go to WOT and then drop the clutch without it doing wheelies, and have it able to put the power to the ground while improving the 60' times.
He said their newly designed low profile lock up clutch will do exactly what I'm looking for and it will have the same adjustability and do the same thing as the Bandit with the MTC. The good thing he said was I could accomplish this using my stock primary cover...without having to use the extra wide primary cover (that only Barnett sells) for the wider Bandit/MTC type clutch set up.
My brain was hurting after getting off the phone with these three companies...but I learned a lot   :hyst:

Ray

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

04 SE Deuce

August 19, 2014, 05:34:00 PM #30 Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:51:39 PM by 04 SE DEUCE
That's why we pay you the big $ Ray...and your threads go and go cause inquiring minds want to know.   Rick

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

joe_lyons

I was under the assumption that energy one made the clutch plates for bandit as their steels look just like the ones that bandit uses and I hear the new bandit fibers are green.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: ThumperDeuce on August 19, 2014, 08:23:25 PM
This will still look cooler:

Looks too wide for the way I ride...even with a skid'em up pad I'd have the rear tire leveraged off the ground.   Rick

No Cents

Quote from: joe_lyons on August 19, 2014, 08:40:49 PM
I was under the assumption that energy one made the clutch plates for bandit as their steels look just like the ones that bandit uses and I hear the new bandit fibers are green.
Joe...I honestly don't know who makes what...I just reported what I was told from the three companies I talked to on the phone yesterday.   :nix: 
It was interesting talking to them.

Ray

strokerjlk

Quote from: joe_lyons on August 19, 2014, 08:40:49 PM
They do . As well as Aim, Rivera
Ray
You can't  believe everything your told .
Don't get side tracked with double talk .

I also have a line on a guy that puts a spacer in stock primary covers , for a reasonable price .
About 1/5 th the price of a new Barnett primary outer cover .

No Cents

I don't believe everything I'm told Jim.
I was only reporting what I was told which I thought was interesting.
I guess with what you and Joe are saying...I was mis-informed and apparently lied to.
It's a shame a company would tell you something false...for no reason.

Ray

strokerjlk

Quote from: No Cents on August 20, 2014, 03:58:13 AM
I don't believe everything I'm told Jim.
I was only reporting what I was told which I thought was interesting.
I guess with what you and Joe are saying...I was mis-informed and apparently lied to.
It's a shame a company would tell you something false...for no reason.

Ray
Call energy one today . And talk to Kent Foltz

strokerjlk

2 nd thought .. He might be at bonniville .

joe_lyons

Barnett may provide some clutch plates to bandit?
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

qtrracer

Alto might make a plate or 2......................

Burch753

bandit might be testing some red fibers.....  :soda:

good info on the baskets, none the less.

Templer

Check the physical WEIGHT between the two! Liter piece means quicker rpm response (spool up time). Think the Evo unit is liter then Bennet. IMO Room for that EXTRA beer without the weight!!

Burch753

Quote from: Templer on August 20, 2014, 02:40:50 PM
Check the physical WEIGHT between the two! Liter piece means quicker rpm response (spool up time). Think the Evo unit is liter then Bennet. IMO Room for that EXTRA beer without the weight!!

Just a thought here. If this is a drag racing intent. Dont you want more rotational mass in the basket as the pistons are moving you want the basket to mantain momentum when clutch is 'dropped' thus less drop in rpm based on clutch engaugement...?

Bandit drag clutch baskets are heavy for a reason.