April 27, 2024, 03:41:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

5 in 4, Thunderheader

Started by bob_e95482, November 08, 2008, 03:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob_e95482

Mark, this is mainly directed to you. My '73 84 incher is coming apart this winter(again). I know I asked you previously about the swing-out kicker. I have purchased a Thunderheader and a 5 in 4 w/kicker. You said you don't use the kicker. I need to know if it clears the pipe. I also will need to buy a rear sprocket, I currently run a 48, I see you do too. How well do you get going from a stop? With my gearing and a RevTech 4 speed FX geared tranny, it's a little tricky.

76shuvlinoff

bob
yep that swingout kicker clears the T-header easily and I have no problem at all coming off the line loaded down (or smoking the tire) with a 48T sprocket.  I'm talking with bags on, I do not ride two-up and I weigh in about 185.  I did have to space my right floorboard and master cyl out about 7/8"
If I had a do-over I might have ordered the 5/4 trans with the lower flh 1st gear where I am now running the fx 1st gear (CRS I can't recall the ratios, sorry)  My ONLY reason for that is I would like to try an even smaller rear sprocket for extended 80 + mph crusing (poor man's overdrive)  but realistically in lower Michigan that isn't going to happen very often anyhow.

good luck!
   Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Trouble

When using the Thunderheader, I tried the swing-away kicker arm and didn't like it. Bought an extended kicker stud from JIMS and now use the stock kicker arm, which clears the pipe.
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

76shuvlinoff

a pic of the right floorboard with home grown boot guard

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Dennman

November 08, 2008, 05:06:01 PM #4 Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 05:07:51 PM by Dennman
  :idea:Thanks for the reminder .I need ta fab somethin for my rightside floorboard.Last ridin season I melted a large groove in my bootheal.After many hours of ridin these old legs tend ta slide back.My usual guage that my day of ridin's done is when I can't keep my legs a gainst the tanks.
Don't let the bastards get you down!

arkbubba2

Does Jim's make one long enough to clear a TH plus a 1/2'' offset in trans.?

Thanks,
Lyn

76shuvlinoff

Dennman
FYI  I am thnking I'm going to extend my "boot guard" a little more off the rear of the board,  it kinda traps my heel like it is. It's been there long enough now that I don't think about it anymore when I need the rear brakes. I just have to swing my toe out, can't slide the heel back.  It does keep my foot off the pipe and on the board though. 
5/16" stainless blacksmithed with a mapp gas torch then buffed.

Mark
 - Ernest Hemingway