April 25, 2024, 06:14:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

'72 Ironhead

Started by Pilgrim, August 24, 2014, 12:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pilgrim

:chop:
A project just fell into my lap. It's not a basket case 'cause there's no basket of small parts; just what you see in the photo plus a couple of period-correct aftermarket wheels and a girder front end.

The original owner died overseas in 1978 while the bike was being rebuilt. Several of his "friends" cannibalized the rebuild project after his death, leaving this to the widow, whom I married a few years later on. Since then the pieces have kicked around various family garages and now it has come to me. She thinks it would keep me out of the bingo parlors if I undertook to rebuild it.

When did the MoCo start putting serial nos on Sporty frames? We have no idea where the original frame is. Any suggestions on titling it? The original title was in Colorado.

Does anyone recognize that frame? Looks like it's got a pretty good rake to it. I'll post a link to pics of the front end and wheels below. I'd appreciate any help in IDing them.

Does anyone have an appropriate service manual he'd part with?

Who's the Ironhead guru here? I've never been around 'em.

Pilgrim

Wheel photo
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zfAaJUUmqUk/U_onMUxDFMI/AAAAAAAAGh4/fVDPwT9j97c/s1024-no/imagejpeg_3.jpg

Girder photo
http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HFSzF72NKJs/U_omxrgdPBI/AAAAAAAAGhw/HN6fZNH6PKU/s1024-no/imagejpeg_2.jpg

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Your bike is $2,000 away from being dead, solid perfect.  And it always will be.

garyajaz

wow.  looks like a parts "bike"
I would not do anything till titled.
maybe bonded title?
way too much work for me.

Pilgrim

August 24, 2014, 02:10:03 PM #2 Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:12:20 PM by Pilgrim
Yeah, Gary,it'll be a job but I'm retired and no deadline on the project. And since the bike is sorta technically my wife's and she's the one that wants it up and running, she'll do most of the required buying.

Good point on titling first; I hadn't thought of that.

Pilgrim
Your bike is $2,000 away from being dead, solid perfect.  And it always will be.

gasshawg

Not real sure about this, looks like frame is a paughco, look for some numbers in the front motor mount area and also around the center post,take the numbers off the motor and have them run, you might be able to track down the last known title to it.
Just depends on what state you are in now and how they handle custom built bikes, if you have to bring it back up that way.
The front wheel is a old Invader, can't really tell about the frontend. If you really want to make a whole bike out of it, it will take time and a lot of patience.

Maddog

that's a Paughco frame  like mine   No numbers on frame,,, Invader spool front wheel,, aka no brake,   That's a square tube springer front end might be an old AEE??    :chop:  Looks like from the late70s early 80s   (that's when I built mine an still have it to this day) Run the engine numbers an see if they are clean,,  Trust me get a HD shop manual for it it will help you out some,,(e bay cheaper)  Keep an open mind  If you need some help shout

Maddog

that's a CH  or XLCH,, That was when the factory changed over to 1000 cc on the sportys,  mines an early 73 so some parts are hard to find,, 72s had a weak spot under the drive sprocket due to the speedo drive there, they blow the case out of them or cracked, 73 is when they went to the speedo drive off the front wheel,, I will remember more give me a bit :scratch:

Pilgrim

Thanks so far, y'all.

The thing is sitting in Denver waiting to be shipped to me when I get to Washington in November. Or maybe to me here in Arizona sooner. Anybody got any thoughts on which of the three states it might be easiest to pursue a title in? Last title was in Colorado the name of my wife's (very) late husband. She doesn't know what happened to it; he died without a will and this thing was never part of the estate.

Pilgrim

Racepres

Gonna be interesting...since you don't have or know where the original frame is...That is where the title is/belongs also!
Gonna have to get a titled frame [like the owner of the original may [hopefully] have done.
I would run the numbers anonymously at the DMV.
BTW 3A is an XLH and 4A is an XLCH the number behind the H is the year H2 for what you appear to have.

gasshawg

I don't know for sure if this will work, If you can have someone in Colo. run a search for vehicles titled in his name and see if the bike shows up, might be a chance that if it does you might be able to get a dupe title thru her as her late husband, and a death certificate. Just a thought.

Racepres

Quote from: gasshawg on August 26, 2014, 01:59:54 PM
I don't know for sure if this will work, If you can have someone in Colo. run a search for vehicles titled in his name and see if the bike shows up, might be a chance that if it does you might be able to get a dupe title thru her as her late husband, and a death certificate. Just a thought.

What about the guy [if there is one] with the original frame....and [maybe] the Title that BELONGS with it. :oops:

gasshawg

I do think that it will show if that has happened, I would do it to find out. If thats the case you will have to go thru a builders title. As I have a 82 motor that was a take out and replaced with a evo. first thing I did was run numbers to make sure they were clean and now have a Builders title on a roller I bought that I can put this motor in.
At the very least you will have a title number that will show IF it has ever been retitled or sold to someone else. Just saying!

Racepres

Quote from: gasshawg on August 27, 2014, 09:24:54 AM
I do think that it will show if that has happened, I would do it to find out. If thats the case you will have to go thru a builders title. As I have a 82 motor that was a take out and replaced with a evo. first thing I did was run numbers to make sure they were clean and now have a Builders title on a roller I bought that I can put this motor in.
At the very least you will have a title number that will show IF it has ever been retitled or sold to someone else. Just saying!

Have You ever had a Motorcycle Stolen from You????

gasshawg

Yes I have , I know in my mind who did it ,one day they WILL answer for it, also have had GUNS  stolen for me ,all by so called friends.  I DON"T FORGET. 
HAVE YOU!

Racepres

Quote from: gasshawg on August 28, 2014, 11:37:50 AM
HAVE YOU!

Yes...yes I have...And I didn't like it...Would Not like it if someone Titled My Bike Either!!!

gasshawg

Racepres. Same here, all i'm trying to point out is that if this has been retitled it will show up. Ihave found in the past it is better to be up front with the powers that be when trying to bring back up older bikes like this that don't have the factory frame and title. Colo. and KS are in my opinion are two of the easy states to deal with. Calif., Nev.,Arizona not so good.
Did not mean to rub you the wrong way. 
Pilgrim  I will have a swingarm frame with a good title I will part with after October,and would take yours in trade against it if things don't work out. PM me if you want more info.