April 27, 2024, 05:13:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bendix Carb

Started by 53Pan66shovel, November 08, 2008, 05:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

53Pan66shovel

anyone reccomed a bendix carb?

Erichill

GAs guzzler in my opinion.  Fouled plugs waaay to easily. But, I did not try to adjust the acc. pump, which may have helped. I took the easy way, and put on late model Cv carb. Easy starts, hadn't changed plugs for 2500 miles since puting it on.

Eric

Tow-Truck

I run one on my 61, no problems. Seems quite good on gas, about 50 to the gallon, but I am a bit of a plodder (50mph).

Trip

VERY good carb...next to a CV ....

53Pan66shovel

guess my next ? would be a size i see 38mm or 40mm

Mule

Good, simple to tune ,dependable carburetor, If you are buying new go with the 40mm adjustable main...Mule...

Pzokes

If you remove the choke plate and add the aftermarket bell mouth on the end of the carb they flow pretty good.  A few squirts from the accelerator pump  works as good as a choke. I don't like the price of new Bendix jets, or the way that you have to change jets.  The quality of rebuild kits has gone down hill too.  I've never been a fan of adjustable main jets, but some people like them.  Some people run the spring on the float, some people think that it makes the float hang up.  Check to make sure that the holes on the carb body line up with the holes on the jet.  If not, slot them a little to get full fuel flow.

If I had a choice, I would buy a used CV.

There's miles to go before I sleep.

53Pan66shovel

ok thanks for the advice guys guess im gonna have some reading to do on this one

Trip

You can score a good newer CV for 50$ if ya keep your eyes open...you,ll wanna jet it WAY down tho....S&S kicks azz on Pans  also....

Mule

Heads up, there is a guy over at Hawg Ryders fourm selling an advertised GOOD bendix carb...Might want to email him  and work out a deal...Mule...

99flsts

My 57 had a bendix on it when I got it... WAY too rich - fouled plugs like crazy.  In all fairness, I never really tried to tune it - I just replaced it with a Keihin butterfly-style carb, which was better, but then I replaced that with a CV - WAY better (after I got it tuned properly).  The CV has a very smooth throttle response and easy kick starting.

I really don't know why anyone would want to mess with a bendix.  If you're not going to run stock Linkert then why not go with something more modern like a CV, S&S or Mikuni?  Rebuild parts are easier to get and there's more information available on how to set them up and tune them.

JMHO
Dave,
57 Panhead (for sale), 99 Heritage Springer

stroker800

I never took to the bendix carbs.....I have seen enuff of them on snowmobiles we had as a kid...Kinda like a sore spot with me...I'm a fan of the constant velocity carb,,,I do perfer the SU over Kienhin???..Only because I understand how too tun it.
Dave

ModelABob

Back about 1976 or so one of the scooter mags back then, "Big Bike" or "Street Chopper" I think.  Ran an article on what carburator gave the best mileage on a stone stock Superglide.  They used an SU, S&S, Mikunie and maybe a Lake Injector or some other odd ball carb. of the day, plus the stock Bendix.  Well, the Bendix gave the best mileage.  I
don't remember what it was, but I beleive it was around 50 or better. :smile:  Me, I'm an old "DC" Linkert & S&S "L"
series man.  The CV carb. is probably the best one to use unless your into....'Old School'...I hate that saying! :angry:

AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper