May 03, 2024, 10:33:21 PM

News:

Oil Lines?????

Started by RoadGlideRob, March 14, 2009, 09:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadGlideRob

I'm trying to figure out what oil lines I really need to run.  I've converted from a primary chain to a belt drive so I dont need lines going to the primary.

Question:
1. Can i just plug the line going to the primary or will that cause problems?
2. Do you really need the rear chain oiler line?  can i just plug it or will it cause problems?
3. Crank Case Breather,,  i assume i can just dump this out on the ground?  how much oil comes out of there?

:soda:

baldoldfxr

you can plug the redundant lines, you get an oil mist from the breather  a little filter on the end of it stops anything getting sucked back up the pipe.

76shuvlinoff

Yep you can plug off the lines to and from the primary and run it with 6 - 8 oz oil in it. Keep a good eye on it if it leaks. You can plug off the rear chain oiler too but you need to keep that case breather line open.  If you get excessive oil out of it there are other issues.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

who444444

here's a couple pic from hawg ryder showing what to plug

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

who444444

one more

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Old Crow

5 speed or 4 speed?  You can't isolate the primary on a 5 speed the same way as a 4 speed, or it'll blow the oil cap off and about 1/2 quart of oil all over the bike and the floor.  :embarrassed:
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

RoadGlideRob

Its a 4 speed.  Looks like who ever had it before me did some of this already and I just wanted to make sure its good.

thanks

flhtcu2007

where's the best place to buy the cv joint style clamps that you need cv joint style pliers for?  I'm talking about running these style clamps on the oil lines rather than clunky looking hose clamps. What size?

RoadGlideRob

Ace hardware has a large a large selection of hose clamps that give it that old school look some folks like

ramcr913

jireh PNs:

97-104- hose clamp pliers
66-204 through 66-209- hose sizes 11/32 ID through 13/16 ID
Catalog says qty prices for 25 or 50, call and see.

flhtcu2007

Simons_shovel

Why cant you isolate the primary on a 5 speed?  I did mine a few years ago (using the Hawg Rider drawings for reference) and it all seems to be working OK.  Have I missed something?

Old Crow

Have you got a link for the method you used to isolate the 5 speed primary?  I tried a few years back and couldn't find anything except for the 4 speed.
I tried hooking it up according to those instructions and blew oil out of the filler neck all over the bike.  Ended up just putting it back like it was.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Simons_shovel

I havent got the link anymore but I am sure the pictures I used are the ones in this post.  I will have a look when I get home, if I can find the origionals I will scan them and post them up.  If not I will look at mine and see how different it is from the drawings in this post.

fxrrider

I sealed off my 5 speed the same as shown with no problems. If you blew oil out, you must have hooked something up wrong. I would believe it would be the breather line or the breather line was restricted.

greybeard_541

I found the carpenter nail nippers I have in my nail bags to work just great for the "squeeze" typ hose clamps. In a tight spot a pair of sidecutters (wire cutters) work pretty good too.

Hope it helps.
Greybeard

ramcr913

Greybeard
I thought about using the nail nippers, now I guess I'll buy just the clamps and try it.
Good tip- thanks.

Hey RoadGlideBob- hope we didn't hijack the thread on you- is your question answered?

When I belted my 1980 shovel, I replaced the oil pump cover with one of those billet ones. However, in regards to your original questions, here is what I did:

"1. Can i just plug the line going to the primary or will that cause problems?" Yes, you can. The billet cover I used eliminated this line. There is a pipe nipple of some type going into your primary. Plug it with a pipe plug to or nut-n-bolt to keep crud out. No problems.
"2. Do you really need the rear chain oiler line?  can i just plug it or will it cause problems?" No problems, plug it.
"3. Crank Case Breather,,  i assume i can just dump this out on the ground?  how much oil comes out of there?" Yep you can dump it, or clamp it to one of them fancy breather filters. I never had much oil come out, mostly its a mist that collects into a few drops. I suppose you could route it to drip on your rear chain, if you have one.

Hope this helps.

RoadGlideRob

No problem.  Defininately answered now.

Thanks to all. :smiled: