May 07, 2024, 08:52:07 PM

News:

Tire Repair on the road

Started by vtwinjim, August 30, 2014, 01:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtwinjim

Been lucky so far but anyone carry tire patch kits them, ever use them?

Looking at Stop and Go brand seems pretty good.

Rags722

I just carry some glue, the reamer the insertion tool and some of the rope plugs.  Figure I can get air at a gas station if I can limp it there, and depending on the location and size of the damage would trust a plug for 100 to 10,000 miles.

04 SE Deuce

Add inflater/adapter with about 3 CO2 cartridges and you can get to air much easier.  Don't know which brand is best,  I think they all work fine as long as the puncture is in the repairable part of the tread,  plug is large enough for the puncture size and you plug them correctly.  I've ran a handful of tires that I plugged to the end off their service/tread life with no issues.  I believe it's best to give the glue a little dry time prior to operating at higher speeds.  Rick

frito1

Another vote for the reamer and rope plugs.  I've  never used them on my bike, but I've loaned it so many times I had to restock twice.  I also carry a small bicycle pump, it's about an inch in diameter and fits in the grove in the bottom of the saddle bag perfectly.
"frito"  '11 FLHTP
www.eddiekieger.com

hogpipes1

Quote from: Rags722 on August 30, 2014, 01:31:55 PM
I just carry some glue, the reamer the insertion tool and some of the rope plugs.  Figure I can get air at a gas station if I can limp it there, and depending on the location and size of the damage would trust a plug for 100 to 10,000 miles.

Rags if you can find the hole , get the kit out ream the hole get the plug glued up and plug it, and still have enough air to ride the bike , your 1 fast dude on fixen tires. Get a can of tire jak along with the other item it might get you to a station that has a air pump.

Breeze

Like Frito1, I've never used on my bike, but had to restock a few times from helping others. I always tell them "this is only temporary, replace your tire asap.
I had a guy come up to me about 6 months after I plugged his tire on the side of the road and tell me that it was still holding air real good.   :emoGroan:
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

bxbutch

I carry rope plugs with install kit & compressor made by SLIME plugs into battery tender plug or alligator clamps to batt. Used on my bike & others Butch

FSG

QuoteLooking at Stop and Go brand seems pretty good.

:up:  it's what I use, my kit is similar to the below pic, I've plugged and then worn out quite a few tyres on my fatty, still have plugs in two of my cage tyres and helped get others on their way after finding them stopped on the side of the road.

A dedicated compressor or one that's had the covers removed as in the pic is a better option than the CO2 cartridges IMO.

mrmike

I carry the Stop n Go kit as well as a small Slime compressor, never had to use them though, the one time I got a flat I wasn't carrying anything so I hoofed it 2 miles to a Walmart and bought the rope plugs and a foot pump. :embarrassed:

I'm not a fan of the CO2 cartridges.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

Durwood

Safety Seal is also a good brand, used them a lot back in the day at the service station I worked at as a teenager.
Their installer works really slick, it keeps you from pulling the plug out while removing the tool from the tire.   

This thread reminded me of them, so I searched, they are still available after all these years and amazon has the tool kit and plugs.

NETacomaFatboy

Plug kit and Slime air compressor.  Used once on a friend's bike and it got him to the Dealer for a new tire....   The Slime compressor is not that cost prohibitive and worth it IMHO.

sammiew

Just wondering about the Slime stuff? Does it cause problems when installing another new tire with having all that stuff around the rim on the inside. I always heard that fix a flat would almost ruin your rim making a big mess. Any comments from somebody that has used the Slime before on this issue?

Jswerve

Anyone use ride on? My weights keep falling off and i was thinking of using it.

guido4198

Quote from: bxbutch on August 30, 2014, 02:54:55 PM
I carry rope plugs with install kit & compressor made by SLIME plugs into battery tender plug or alligator clamps to batt. Used on my bike & others Butch

That pretty much sums up my choice also.
Used it once to get home on a tire that was ready to be replaced anyhow, so I can't comment on running for any length of time on the "rope plugs".

easyricer

I run Ride On in my tires and carry a plug kit. I have a hand pump that stays in the saddle bag as well.
I have sat on the side of the road repairing an innertube before, not something to look forward to doing but it got me home.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

clawdog60

Slime makes a nice compact compressor, plug kit in a sturdy small case. I carry it always on the bagger.

runamuck

I carry one of those slime kits with mini compressor in my ultra and a hand pump and plug kit on my wide glide. I have not need either but have been on group rides where someone in the group has successfully used the slime kit a cpl. times. I also keep one in my truck and trunk of the wife's car

Inda Win

I seem to recall, from experience, that if you plug the slime compressor into the battery tender connector, it will eventually blow the in line fuse in the battery tender connector.  Without looking I can't remember the size of the fuse, but it might be a small as five amps.  Curious, has anyone else had this problem?

klammer76

Quote from: FSG on August 30, 2014, 03:08:21 PM

:up:  it's what I use, my kit is similar to the below pic, I've plugged and then worn out quite a few tyres on my fatty, still have plugs in two of my cage tyres and helped get others on their way after finding them stopped on the side of the road.

A dedicated compressor or one that's had the covers removed as in the pic is a better option than the CO2 cartridges IMO.

Exactly the same set up that I carry. Wrap the mini compressor in an old sock and all rides well in the saddle bag  :up:

chopper

August 31, 2014, 09:45:34 AM #19 Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:46:33 AM by chopper

Thats the same compressor I use. But I have the older "auto" type plug installer. Looks like a pistol grip, but uses the same type of arrow plugs.
  FWIW, I just used it to plug a tractor tire at school the other day.
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

88b

I'm with FSG done my Buell twice now.

clawdog60

Don't put slime in any wheel if you can keep from it. Becomes corrosive with moisture.

Jswerve

Quote from: clawdog60 on August 31, 2014, 12:35:25 PM
Don't put slime in any wheel if you can keep from it. Becomes corrosive with moisture.

Are you referring to Ride On?  :nix:

FLHRI_2004

I too use the Stop-N-Go plug kit and carry a small compressor in the saddlebag.  I've used one of the plugs on my car tire and it's still there years later (tire is about worn out now).
My Ride: Road King

clawdog60

The green slime, have seen results for running an extended period of time,not good.