People say "Handlebar Start buttons are problematic"...but

Started by 1982fxr, September 01, 2014, 08:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1982fxr

I've heard this a lot.  Were they problems (1980's-90's) out of the factory or did they become problematic after people starting "fixing" things and adding various aftermarket electrical components as years progressed?

thanks

Dan89flstc

The start button on my bike has been working fine for almost 26 years.

When it comes to starter circuit problems, most seem to guess their way through, starting with the most expensive part...
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

guido4198

FWIW: It's been my EXPERIENCE....(not opinion, or conjecture) that the "problems" with the handlebar start button on The Moonraker ('85 FXRS...with NO aftermarket electrical components) are due to the flimsy wires that run from the button itself along a lengthy path, bundled tightly with a bunch of other wires, that moves/torques every time you turn the front wheel. Wire failure has occurred a couple of times over the years right in the "bend" that is built in, and runs along the neck of the frame.

mr. pitts

:hyst:
Quote from: Dan89flstc on September 02, 2014, 02:49:12 AM
The start button on my bike has been working fine for almost 26 years.

When it comes to starter circuit problems, most seem to guess their way through, starting with the most expensive part...
:hyst: :koolaid:

JC 92FXRS

My start-button has been fine for 22 years...horn-button?....well that's another issue...  :emsad: All others, never a problem.
Cheer, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

moscooter

:pop:
Whatever your (starting) problem is,  likely it is NOT the starter button. :argue:

rageglide

My starter button problem was a crappy molex pin problem...

Racepres

The Starter button on my '74-74" is still working just fine...Thank You.
If I replace anything...It won't be the Button, and If I need a Button it will Not be a ~ replacement....BTDT [different H-D] ...OEM Only in this Application!

1982fxr

Quote from: moscooter on September 02, 2014, 11:47:42 AM
:pop:
Whatever your (starting) problem is,  likely it is NOT the starter button. :argue:

I don't have a problem, just asking in regards to the origin of others making that claim...kind of...like the...first post said :teeth:

mp

180,000 miles is a lot of starts...  Mine has never failed.

tomfiii

Like anything it is a crap shoot as for working almost forever or it stops or automatically triggers starter while riding.

Racepres

Quote from: tomfiii on September 04, 2014, 09:48:58 AM
Like anything it is a crap shoot as for working almost forever or it stops or automatically triggers starter while riding.

I respectfully Disagree...Never witnessed a O.E. handlebar [starter] switch malfunction.
Replacements....Well, I won't use ~ Crap Switches...So, No Problem again.

Wait...I take that back...the '70's switch, that tiny one, will fail ..If you wire it direct to the starter solenoid instead of to the Relay...Witnessed that alot in the "early" days of those type switches...

dynamagic

All my 92 FXDC blocks work perfectly. :nix:
When people with early evo's have starting issues is nearly always at or near the starter.
That's why they put push button starter soleniodes in.

Dan89flstc

Has anyone besides the OP heard that handlebar switches are problematic?
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

ramcr913

Only problem I have seen wasn't the buttons. It was the wiring getting pinched- between the two switch housings or between the switch housing and the bars, or maybe when someone readjusted their bars and then rotated the switch housings to a new position and stretched the wiring to the point of failure.
But the starter button itself? I am sure it has happened but I haven't personally seen it.

rageglide

Quote from: ramcr913 on September 14, 2014, 09:32:19 AM
Only problem I have seen wasn't the buttons. It was the wiring getting pinched- between the two switch housings or between the switch housing and the bars, or maybe when someone readjusted their bars and then rotated the switch housings to a new position and stretched the wiring to the point of failure.
But the starter button itself? I am sure it has happened but I haven't personally seen it.

Ditto... my problems have always been associated to the molex connectors.  On a softail for example there are 2 block connectors in the starter/run circuit, wiring goes through 4 crimp connectors per direction (to handle bars and back to coil and relay.)  12 crappy molex pins that are exposed to dirt and vibration, they ultimately build up quite a bit of resistance.   I've had problems caused by the crappy connectors on two seperate bikes.  re-wiring point to point on one and on another to a relay fixed the problems.  You would be surprised how much extra wire is present on these bikes strictly because they are built on a mass production assembly line.