May 09, 2024, 05:37:37 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

All lights shorted out

Started by IslandSporster00, September 02, 2014, 05:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IslandSporster00

I was trying to replace the front turn signals on my 2000 Sportster earlier today and was running into problems because the original signals had 3 wires running to them but the new ones I purchased only had two running from them. I was able to hook up the left one only using two  of the original wires which seemed to work fine until I noticed that the rear turn signal was no longer working. When I went to troubleshoot the problem using the left signal, two of the wires touched, sparked, and all of the turn signals and the headlight shut off and won't come back on. I'm at a complete loss and my bike is my only means of transportation. Please help me.

hdbikedoc

burnt a fuse replace (under side cove behind battery looks like a triangle just pull and it comes out  and disconnect battery to work on bike ,also if its your only transport don't mess with the signals till you have time and a manual to check wiring there is a diagram on this site
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

JBarrettB

You blew the lighting fuse.
As for the front lights, you are giving up the running light by changing to two wire lamps. You should be leaving out blue to have them work as signals. The blue will be hot so don't leave it dangling.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

Panzer

Yup, you blew a fuse..............no big deal.
When you find the blown one, get a few as spares if you're going to do more wiring trials.
Just my .02
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.