April 27, 2024, 12:52:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

rear wheel fitment question

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, September 03, 2014, 08:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I need a new rear wheel/rim for my 2004 softail standard. 3/4 " axle. 16" dia x 3" width.

What I would like to know is, will any 16 x 3 rear rim fit from any model?

I am looking at several options (Harley used rimes some solid and some spoked as my original)

I have looked at a sportster rear solid and some other ones but I am not sure what will fit.

Anyone know what the interchangeability would be? maybe a chart or some way to tell?

Thanks
Member since 2004

Boe Cole

If you are looking at a HD replacement rim, you should be able to go to the parts/accessory manual and check to see if the rim you are contemplating buying is listed as a fit for your bike.  If an aftermarket rim, you may want to call the manufacturer to see if it will fit stock or with an available adapter.

Just my $0.02 thoughts.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Well most accessory catolouges are for newer models and I dont have an older one.......

I see many used HD rims and am looking at rear rim from a sportster which is just like a solid fatboy rim but not sure it will fit.
Very good price and close to my home area.....

So I guess will a 16 x 3 or 3.5 rear rim from any model fit any model?

Member since 2004

Tsani

Yes and no. While the Diameter and width may be the same, you need to check axle diameter as well as offset spacing. If it is a laced wheel, you can change the offset. Mag type may require different spacers or may not be compatible at all.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I understand I may need different spacing. Assuming the axle size is the same (3/4") which I know.

So the question still is will any models rear wheel fit as long as size and axle and spacing is correct?
Member since 2004

88b

I put an 03 Lightingstar rear in my 01 Heritage but the offset was different. It fitted but I had to adapt the bag mounting bolts. With aSportster the belt is on the right so the wheel will be in backwards , shouldn't matter but the valve will be on the wrong side.

Tsani

Short answer is no. Not all are direct bolt up.
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Well I figured that would be the short answer. That is why I asked if there may be a listing or cross reference
for wheel fitment....
Remember if it was easy I probably  would not have asked....lol
Member since 2004

Tsani

I will check my computer tonight. No promises but I may have a cross reference. Seem to remember using it for a Brother who got a deal on some wheels.
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Tsani

Took a look and can't find it. Been on the road for 6 mo and every thing is different between my laptop and desktop.  will keep looking but...

I did look at an older accessory book. I have them back to 2005. Thunderstar wheel for example, same pn fits sporties and up to 03 softies. Things change with 04 up. A solid Fatboy style rim, different part numbers for softies and sporties so something is different there. Your going to need to settle on the wheel style you want and do the research based on that. Most dealerships can probably bring the info up on their computers. If I run across the list I have (had), I will post it. Good luck to ya. You can pretty much make anything fit if your will to get into it, but in the long run may wind up costing you more than it is worth.
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

revnrob

Just put a Fatboy mag on my 04 Fxsts.
  I don't remember what year of Fatboy the mag came off of but I wanna say that that any 02 to 05 Fatboy mag is a direct bolt on.
I used my stock pulley and stock rotor.