May 08, 2024, 01:56:33 PM

News:

Electronic flasher units vs. the old kind?

Started by 1982fxr, September 03, 2014, 01:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1982fxr

I keep seeing how the newer electronic flashers are supposed to be better than the old kind but never see where anyone says why.  I don't know diddly about electrical and just bought electronic #758 to get my blinkers set up.  Should I have bought the old one?  Does it matter?

1982 FXR w/stock charging system and 1998 Evo motor installed.  if it matters.  thanks

dynamagic

The new "electronic" flasher units are more reliable, produce less heat, use less power, last longer and can sustain more lights bulbs.
The are better by far ... I use them from day one on all my bikes and cars. In today's vehicles that's all you will find ... electronic flasher units.

4FXRS

Here are my thoughts, specifically geared towards my 1984 FXRS with press and hold to operate turn-signal buttons, and the small headlight shell:
I have this flasher: Custom LED Electronic Flasher Relay - "ELFR-1 QD" (Two wire plugin and required no wiring changes) and the comments are based on this flasher.

Electronic Flasher:
    Advantages: Constant flash rate under all loads; Can mix LED and incandescent bulbs with no effects up to the load rating of the flasher; Flasher will last longer, probably the life of the bike; Usually more weather resistant; Silent operation, although you could not hear any flasher in the headlight shell on the FXRS;Small and light enough to carry one as a spare in the headlight shell if desired; Direct plugin with no wiring changes - might need to insulate one connector though;
    Disadvantages: Constant flash rate - will not indicate a bulb failure; Does not mount in the same way as the mechanical flasher; Does not immediately light the bulbs when the turn-signal button is pressed - a slight delay; Usually needs to be ordered online, so not quickly available when you might need it; A little larger than the stock unit - (can Velcro to the metal headlight shell to hold it in place); Like any electronic unit, is prone to damage from abuse - exceeding the rated electric load and possible over-voltage damage;

Mechanical Flasher:
    Advantages: A stocked component - available at most dealers; Will indicate failed bulbs by changing flash rate, or not flashing at all; Immediate lighting of bulbs when turn-signal button is pressed; Will fit into the stock holder in the headlight shell; Very small size; Small and light enough to carry a spare in the headlight shell if desired;
    Disadvantages: Mechanical contacts and heating element - more prone to failure; Not as weather-tight under hostile wet conditions; Usually cannot handle LED bulbs without a load resistor; Does not support 4-way flasher mode when holding both turn-signal buttons down as the flash rate changes;

dynamagic

Nailed it 4FXRS  Ones off the best detailed reviews I have read :up:

ConstantMesh

Thanks!  My curse of being an old engineer...