April 27, 2024, 02:12:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clymer vs HD shop manuals

Started by 06ultra, November 08, 2008, 06:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

06ultra

November 08, 2008, 06:40:47 AM Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:43:06 AM by 06ultra
I just received a new Clymer shop manual for my shovel and got to say its its very accurate. I own two other HD manuals and this new book is very nice and my cost was 36 bucks compared to the 60 bucks for the HD. Just my 2 cents.

gryphon

You will find some problems with the Clymer. For one thing they usually won't bother to mention if a nut is left handed thread. They do have some pictures that the HD doesn't and vice-versa. I gave up on Clymer years ago. The most used books around my shop are the parts manuals. Not only do they give you an accurate picture of each part, they also show the order in which they go together and make it much easier to order when you have the correct number already.

dave_9113

A lot of folks don't like the Clymer books, but I like them.  If you have the FSM, both really complement each other.  Clymers has way better pictures and better price.  I also agreed that the parts manual is so valuable. 

96flhpi

I bought the Clymer when I converted my '82 to points - have the factory man but since it's '78 1/2 to '84 it only covers elec ignitions.  If I had to chose only one it'd be the HD, but if you can have both it's worth it, to me anyway.  Find that one is clearer on some things, the other on other things.

Vin

bericuda

i'm with dave and vin also....i like both!

06ultra

You're right about no info on left handed threads, I tried to look up info on parts I know are left handed and it showed no info on it. At least I know they are anyway. Guess the next book will be a parts manual added to the growing library.

Podunker

I have HD service manual for '70 to '72 EG/SG in digital format.  I just go to the computer and find what I need and print off a copy and who cares if I rip it or get grease on it.  Of course, I'd hate to get drunk and accidentally hit the "delete" key.  ;D

06ultra

Quote from: Podunker on November 09, 2008, 05:05:08 AM
I have HD service manual for '70 to '72 EG/SG in digital format.  I just go to the computer and find what I need and print off a copy and who cares if I rip it or get grease on it.  Of course, I'd hate to get drunk and accidentally hit the "delete" key.  ;D

If you don't mind me asking, How much did you pay for the cd format? I'm gonna be looking for the parts manual soon and guess HD makes them and others as well.

Podunker

Quote from: 06ultra on November 10, 2008, 05:05:25 PM
Quote from: Podunker on November 09, 2008, 05:05:08 AM

If you don't mind me asking, How much did you pay for the cd format? I'm gonna be looking for the parts manual soon and guess HD makes them and others as well.

$8.49 American.  It was an instant download, not CD.  Got it here:  http://www.e-junkie.com/ej/search.php?q=harley+shop+manual&e=more:marketplace&s_start=0

I need a parts manual, too.  Can't find one anywhere on the web for '71 flh.