May 09, 2024, 06:55:30 AM

News:

Which D&D Fatcat baffle for build?

Started by dynaglider, March 14, 2009, 03:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dynaglider

Which baffle should I use for my build?  95 inch, SE heads reworked, 48 Mikuni, Woods 400G, SE high compression pistons, 10.75-1.

se

the standard baffle will be fine or if you would like it a little quiet go for the quiet baffle
G
specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

dynaglider

Standard or performance baffle?  Thanks.

monkeyfeet

For performance go with Hipo baffle for sanity go with with Quiet baffle. if you are making any power at all the Quiet baffle ain't quiet either  MF

se

you know you just dont jump on the performance baffle because you think you need it.
lots of time on the dyno with all 3 baffles and like i said before you want the standard or quiuet baffle.
you want the reality you dont have enuff motor for the performance baffle period.

blk-betty

Standard baffle and if you can put up with the noise otherwise the quiet baffle.

I had a similar build, 95" HQ 10.5:1 with HQ0033g cams - tried both baffles on the dyno, performance made 1hp/1tq higher at the peak but from 2500 to 3500 the tq line was 5-7 lower with the performance baffle, not to mention it was loud as f##K.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

se

Thanks blk-betty i dont have the shets in front of me i would have to go out to the garage and get them i also beleive the dip is more pronounced with the performance baffle.

dynaglider

Bought pipe with perf baffle from HTT member.  Where can I get other baffles at best price?  Thanks to all!

AllanW

Not to hijack this thread but you may have to much carb, 48 on a 95" ?  :dgust:

NYC-Fatboy

Big bore quiet baffle.  I was told by D&D to use the big bore baffle for a 96 ci if cams were in the future.  :wink

se

well i dont really care what D&D says i know guys running a fat cat with performance baffle in their 117 and 120. the regular baffle i very good.
if you want it quiet o with the quiet baffle. but dont go with the performance bafflr.

Sc00ter

Quote from: se on March 15, 2009, 01:46:36 PM
well i dont really care what D&D says i know guys running a fat cat with performance baffle in their 117 and 120. the regular baffle i very good.
if you want it quiet o with the quiet baffle. but dont go with the performance bafflr.

If you ask them to, they will build a "quiet" performance baffle (they called it a "quiet" big bore baffle).  I don't see where they list or advertise this, but like I said, if you ask them to, they will build it - they did for me anyway.....

Black Diamond

I asked D&D about my 117 build.

Their response:

The best system for your bike would be the Boarzilla with the Q baffle. The Q baffle is still a performance baffle but a little Qer than the standard Boarzilla baffle. The Boarzilla is a loud system even with the Q baffle. The Fat Cat with the Big Boar Q baffle would be Qer the low end would be great but the top would not be as good as the Boarzilla.

503-31B FLH/FLT Boarzilla 07-08 2-1, Black, Perforated  $1,029 f/s 1-7/8" primaries 2 1/2" 
503-31BQ FLH/FLT Boarzilla 07-08 2-1, Black,Quiet  $1,029 f/s Yes O2 Bungs Core
503-31G FLH/FLT Boarzilla 07-08 Boarzilla Ghost Pipe, Black  $379 g/p   

503-32B FLH/FLT Boarzilla 07-08 2-1, Chrome, Perforated  $929 f/s 1-7/8" primaries 2 1/2" 
503-32BQ FLH/FLT Boarzilla 07-08 2-1, Chrome, Quiet  $929 f/s Yes O2 Bungs Core
503-32G FLH/FLT Boarzilla 07-08 Boarzilla Ghost Pipe, Chrome  $329 g/p   

502-31B FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Black, Louvered  $885 f/s 1-3/4" primaries 2 1/4"
502-31BQ FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Black, Quiet  $885 f/s w/O2 bung Core
502-31BB FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Black, Big Boar  $913 f/s  2 1/2"
502-31BBQ FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Black, Big Boar, Quiet  $913 f/s  Core
502-31G FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 Fat Cat Ghost Pipe, Black  $379 g/p   

502-32B FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Chrome, Louvered  $785 f/s  2 1/4"
502-32BQ FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Chrome, Quiet  $785 f/s  Core
502-32BB FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Chrome, Big Boar  $813 f/s 1-3/4" primaries 2 1/2"
502-32BBQ FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Chrome, Big Boar Quiet  $813 f/s w/O2 bung Core
502-32G FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 Fat Cat Ghost Pipe, Chrome  $329 g/p

I went with the Big Boar Quiet baffle for noise reduction and low end. I let you know what I think of em when the motors done. FWIW

JW

Sc00ter

March 15, 2009, 04:58:01 PM #13 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 06:00:34 PM by Sc00ter
Quote from: Black Diamond on March 15, 2009, 04:49:21 PM
I asked D&D about my 117 build.

Their response:

The best system for your bike would be the Boarzilla with the Q baffle. The Q baffle is still a performance baffle but a little Qer than the standard Boarzilla baffle. The Boarzilla is a loud system even with the Q baffle. The Fat Cat with the Big Boar Q baffle would be Qer the low end would be great but the top would not be as good as the Boarzilla.

503-31B FLH/FLT Boarzilla 07-08 2-1, Black, Perforated  $1,029 f/s 1-7/8" primaries 2 1/2" 
503-31BQ FLH/FLT Boarzilla 07-08 2-1, Black,Quiet  $1,029 f/s Yes O2 Bungs Core
503-31G FLH/FLT Boarzilla 07-08 Boarzilla Ghost Pipe, Black  $379 g/p   

503-32B FLH/FLT Boarzilla 07-08 2-1, Chrome, Perforated  $929 f/s 1-7/8" primaries 2 1/2" 
503-32BQ FLH/FLT Boarzilla 07-08 2-1, Chrome, Quiet  $929 f/s Yes O2 Bungs Core
503-32G FLH/FLT Boarzilla 07-08 Boarzilla Ghost Pipe, Chrome  $329 g/p   

502-31B FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Black, Louvered  $885 f/s 1-3/4" primaries 2 1/4"
502-31BQ FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Black, Quiet  $885 f/s w/O2 bung Core
502-31BB FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Black, Big Boar  $913 f/s  2 1/2"
502-31BBQ FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Black, Big Boar, Quiet  $913 f/s  Core
502-31G FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 Fat Cat Ghost Pipe, Black  $379 g/p   

502-32B FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Chrome, Louvered  $785 f/s  2 1/4"
502-32BQ FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Chrome, Quiet  $785 f/s  Core
502-32BB FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Chrome, Big Boar  $813 f/s 1-3/4" primaries 2 1/2"
502-32BBQ FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Chrome, Big Boar Quiet  $813 f/s w/O2 bung Core
502-32G FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 Fat Cat Ghost Pipe, Chrome  $329 g/p

I went with the Big Boar Quiet baffle for noise reduction and low end. I let you know what I think of em when the motors done. FWIW

JW

Jeff,

I see they do list it now...  When I bought mine, it was not a standard offering.  What you purchased is the same as I have, except I also had mine heat coated.  (maybe you did too?)   I think you'll like it!

Scott

dynaglider

Thanks to all!  I think I'll try to get a standard baffle too before I dyno tune.  Any ideas where I can pick one up for cheap?

Sc00ter

Quote from: dynaglider on March 15, 2009, 05:35:50 PM
Thanks to all!  I think I'll try to get a standard baffle too before I dyno tune.  Any ideas where I can pick one up for cheap?

http://www.automotivemachine.com/harley.htm

Ask for Steve.... :up:

7hogs

Standard or quiet. Big bore is to much...................... I have two used ones. One with standard and one with big bore.

Admiral Akbar

Everybody know that the performance baffle is best..  DnD would never do anything else.. They've been building pipes for years and I'm sure that they'd only say the right thing.. Max

mem3314

I have a 103 with reworked SE 103+ heads, SE pistons, 50mm SE EFI, Crane Cam that is producing 124 HP and 119 ft lbs.  I started with a Fat Cat Standard baffle but for me it was too quiet (my wife's bike was louder) so I went to a Performance Baffle and it is too loud.  My guess is that your butt dyno can't tell the difference so it becomes a matter of what sound you are looking for.  There is a noticable difference in the sound level from the Std to the Perf baffle, the Perf has a much sharper sound on my bike, 2006 Street Glide.  I do think a Boarzilla is too much pipe.

se

when you lose 10-12 ft lbs of tq right in the area you ride your butt dyno can tell. that is you dont have too much butt that you lose all feeling down there.
sound has nothing to do with it. i dont know any one who went to a 2into 1 for the sound. we learn to like the sound for the power increase it gives.
if you want loud run streight pipes.
and a borzilla on your bike probley will be too big not on my bike it is not . when picking a performance pipe there are other things to consider not just cubic inches.
G

Don D

He's Right!
The performance baffle would not be on my list. I would also skip the standard baffle. The Standard and Quiet are the same internally, one just has some more packing. nearly the same and the SLIGHTLY more quiet sound level is welcome on long rides. Next step the Boarzilla with QB.

Sc00ter

Attached is my dyno sheet - Cycle Rama Heads and Cams, HPI throttle body and A/C assembly, D&D Fatcat with performance 'quiet' baffle - as tuned by John Golden - Rolling Thunder Dyno.  The selection of pipe and selection of pipe baffle are components of the overall build package - as are the selection of all other components of the build.  There is probably a place for every pipe and pipe baffle - dependent upon the goal of your build and the remaining components of the build.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

blk-betty

Ok you guys are baiting me. 

I'm at work an no access to files but when I get home I'll post dyno runs with standard and performance baffles for my past bike. 95" and similar build to what dynaglider has - that way we're comparing red delicous to goldens rather than red delicous to florida oranges as in the 110" dyno run above.
Coastal SC

Sc00ter

I am only commenting on my build and the components of my build.  I have no idea if my build would have come out better with a standard baffle, as I did not try a standard baffle.  No comment whatsoever on anyone else's build.  No baiting at all coming from me - just a friendly dialogue - stating my results.  I believe 100% that your build reacted exactly like you say it did with the different baffles, given your match of components.   :up:

Don D

OK what is the "performance quiet baffle"
Oxymoron
The performance baffle is a straight through withsome holes for perforations and is loud as heck!
The quiet and standard baffle are the same and expanded metal.

Sc00ter

Quote from: Deweysheads on March 16, 2009, 01:53:14 PM
OK what is the "performance quiet baffle"
Oxymoron
The performance baffle is a straight through withsome holes for perforations and is loud as heck!
The quiet and standard baffle are the same and expanded metal.

I don't know what the construction consists of, but this is the D&D part number and description for it....  It is the pipe Wes Brown of Cycle Rama suggested I use - so I did...   :wink:

Don D

New one on me. What is your impression of the sound level? Still has the 1 3/4" primary tubes.

Sc00ter

March 16, 2009, 02:28:16 PM #28 Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 02:38:27 PM by Sc00ter
Quote from: Deweysheads on March 16, 2009, 02:17:51 PM
New one on me. What is your impression of the sound level? Still has the 1 3/4" primary tubes.

It still has the 1 3/4 primary tubes.  A friend has what they call the "big boar baffle".  This one:

Way to loud for me.  My pipe - the "Big Boar Quiet" is much quieter, especially upon acceleration.  My pipe is tolerable quiet - when in the neighborhood, if I am easy on it, the neighbor's don't turn their heads.  When by friend comes into the neighborhood, even when being careful - he gets "the look".

Don D

blk-betty

March 16, 2009, 04:36:51 PM #31 Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 04:45:09 PM by blk-betty
Scooter

I honestly didn't mean anything personal and didn't mean to imply that you or anyone else was baiting me.  Probably a poor choice of wording on my part.  What I  was trying to convey was that I felt like this thread had gone on long enough and it had been determined that on a 95" build that the performance baffle would not give as good of numbers as the standard baffle for dynaglider's bike. 

No harm no foul, I hope.

So I went back and looked at my runs and what do you know, the peak tq is actually higher with the performace baffle but the peak hp is higher with the standard baffle.  Peaks, notwithstanding, the standard baffle gave a much better overall power picture with more area under the tq curve, especially from 2500 to 3500 where most of "my " everyday riding was done.

Of course this data is only applicable to my build but the trend should be comparable with a 95" build of similar components.  My build was a 2002 FXST (B Motor) with CV 44 carb, HQ ignition, HQ heads set up at 10.5:1 using SE high-comp forged pistons, HQ 0033g cams, SE backing plate and air filter, stock gearing (that was changed to 3.37 after the 2 dyno runs) adn D&D Fatcat.  Both runs were done by John Golden but on differet days in different locations but both within 500 yrds of the Atlantic Ocean so we can say at sea level.

This run is the Performance baffle:

This run is the Standard baffle: 

Coastal SC

AllanW

blk-betty

I was editing as I'm a terribe typer.  Do you still not see it?  It shows up fine for me.
Coastal SC

se

the performance baffle for the fat cat is the standard baffle for the borzilla.
also the low cat that they have out now when Dave at JD's did a back to back comparsion to a fat cat and low cat . the fat cat made more hp/tq even tho they are suppose to be similar pipes.
also the fat cat with the performance baffle lost 10ft lbs of tq in a mild 95in build at the famous tq dip.

dynaglider

Thanks blk-betty!  I'm going to get a standard baffle too, so I can see which one will be best for my build.  Looks like the standard was better on yours.  Thanks to all!

AllanW

Black Diamond

FWIW: Best price I got on my Fat Cats was from Eric at www.hdpipes.com  Beat everyone else by $50.00.

JW

Admiral Akbar

QuoteOf course this data is only applicable to my build but the trend should be comparable with a 95" build of similar components.

I think that this is the first reasonable statement I've seen in this thread.. Max

Sc00ter

Quote from: MaxHeadflow on March 16, 2009, 11:15:03 PM
QuoteOf course this data is only applicable to my build but the trend should be comparable with a 95" build of similar components.

I think that this is the first reasonable statement I've seen in this thread.. Max

But your two posts in the thread have been noteworthy!!   :hyst: :hyst:  (a joke, a joke...)