May 08, 2024, 09:44:29 PM

News:

Which D&D Fatcat baffle for build?

Started by dynaglider, March 14, 2009, 03:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don D

OK what is the "performance quiet baffle"
Oxymoron
The performance baffle is a straight through withsome holes for perforations and is loud as heck!
The quiet and standard baffle are the same and expanded metal.

Sc00ter

Quote from: Deweysheads on March 16, 2009, 01:53:14 PM
OK what is the "performance quiet baffle"
Oxymoron
The performance baffle is a straight through withsome holes for perforations and is loud as heck!
The quiet and standard baffle are the same and expanded metal.

I don't know what the construction consists of, but this is the D&D part number and description for it....  It is the pipe Wes Brown of Cycle Rama suggested I use - so I did...   :wink:

502-32BBQ FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Chrome, Big Boar Quiet  $813 f/s w/O2 bung Core

Don D

New one on me. What is your impression of the sound level? Still has the 1 3/4" primary tubes.

Sc00ter

March 16, 2009, 02:28:16 PM #28 Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 02:38:27 PM by Sc00ter
Quote from: Deweysheads on March 16, 2009, 02:17:51 PM
New one on me. What is your impression of the sound level? Still has the 1 3/4" primary tubes.

It still has the 1 3/4 primary tubes.  A friend has what they call the "big boar baffle".  This one:

502-32BB FLH/FLT Fat Cat 07-08 2-1, Chrome, Big Boar  $813 f/s 1-3/4" primaries 2 1/2"

Way to loud for me.  My pipe - the "Big Boar Quiet" is much quieter, especially upon acceleration.  My pipe is tolerable quiet - when in the neighborhood, if I am easy on it, the neighbor's don't turn their heads.  When by friend comes into the neighborhood, even when being careful - he gets "the look".

Don D

blk-betty

March 16, 2009, 04:36:51 PM #31 Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 04:45:09 PM by blk-betty
Scooter

I honestly didn't mean anything personal and didn't mean to imply that you or anyone else was baiting me.  Probably a poor choice of wording on my part.  What I  was trying to convey was that I felt like this thread had gone on long enough and it had been determined that on a 95" build that the performance baffle would not give as good of numbers as the standard baffle for dynaglider's bike. 

No harm no foul, I hope.

So I went back and looked at my runs and what do you know, the peak tq is actually higher with the performace baffle but the peak hp is higher with the standard baffle.  Peaks, notwithstanding, the standard baffle gave a much better overall power picture with more area under the tq curve, especially from 2500 to 3500 where most of "my " everyday riding was done.

Of course this data is only applicable to my build but the trend should be comparable with a 95" build of similar components.  My build was a 2002 FXST (B Motor) with CV 44 carb, HQ ignition, HQ heads set up at 10.5:1 using SE high-comp forged pistons, HQ 0033g cams, SE backing plate and air filter, stock gearing (that was changed to 3.37 after the 2 dyno runs) adn D&D Fatcat.  Both runs were done by John Golden but on differet days in different locations but both within 500 yrds of the Atlantic Ocean so we can say at sea level.

This run is the Performance baffle:

This run is the Standard baffle: 

Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

AllanW

blk-betty

I was editing as I'm a terribe typer.  Do you still not see it?  It shows up fine for me.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

se

the performance baffle for the fat cat is the standard baffle for the borzilla.
also the low cat that they have out now when Dave at JD's did a back to back comparsion to a fat cat and low cat . the fat cat made more hp/tq even tho they are suppose to be similar pipes.
also the fat cat with the performance baffle lost 10ft lbs of tq in a mild 95in build at the famous tq dip.
specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

dynaglider

Thanks blk-betty!  I'm going to get a standard baffle too, so I can see which one will be best for my build.  Looks like the standard was better on yours.  Thanks to all!

AllanW

Black Diamond

FWIW: Best price I got on my Fat Cats was from Eric at www.hdpipes.com  Beat everyone else by $50.00.

JW

Admiral Akbar

QuoteOf course this data is only applicable to my build but the trend should be comparable with a 95" build of similar components.

I think that this is the first reasonable statement I've seen in this thread.. Max

Sc00ter

Quote from: MaxHeadflow on March 16, 2009, 11:15:03 PM
QuoteOf course this data is only applicable to my build but the trend should be comparable with a 95" build of similar components.

I think that this is the first reasonable statement I've seen in this thread.. Max

But your two posts in the thread have been noteworthy!!   :hyst: :hyst:  (a joke, a joke...)