April 28, 2024, 06:12:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

92 XLH Oil Tank Vent Hose/ Transmission vent tube question

Started by 08FLHTC, September 06, 2014, 12:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

08FLHTC

Used bike has a hose going from the oil tank vent fitting (Hose fitting coming out the top of the tank) is connected to the transmission vent fitting (Comes from top of transmission near the center immediately behind the starter).   I feel these fittings should not be connected together but should each go beneath the bike to free air!  Am I correct? I do have the HD Shop manual but these are not addressed in the manual!

FSG

QuoteAm I correct?

No

below is from a 93 SM, does your SM not have a similar oil line routing diagram?

08FLHTC

Yes!  See the vent line coming from the starter going some place in the belt area?  I am thinking this goes to free air under the belt pulley cover! 

08FLHTC

Note that the trans vent hose fitting is for a larger hose then the oil tank vent!

FSG

I'll have to check the hard copys on my shelf to find a better diagram and verbage.  The only Sporty I've ever had was an 82 Ironhead.

08FLHTC

Ok here is what I have found out:

Parts list "Crankcase Assembly" item 44 P/N 6350-68 = Hose 3/8" ID is fastened to item 43 P/N 63547-89 "Breather Tube" is connected with a clamp, with no clamp on the other end!  I assume it just goes to open air behind the transmission?

Parts List "Oil Tank with Filter" Item 22 P/N 63501-68 = Hose 1.4 ID X ½" OD is connected to the breather of the oil tank with a clamp.  BUT there is a clamp listed for the other end also, so where does it connect to?

08FLHTC

I just noted that:
Parts List "Crankcase with Cover" item #18 P/N 63501-88 Hose 1/4" ID is the same part number as the above listed vent tube for the oil tank!  It is connected to a fitting item #17 on the right crank case cover, presumably under the rear belt pulley cover!  Is this where the oil tank vent hose connects to?

14Frisco

The gearcase vent hose should connect to the oil tank.

The transmission vent/breather hose should vent to atmosphere - route up under seat, behind/on top of oil tank, to side of rear fender, without any dips or low points.

08FLHTC

Thank you, thats what I figured after I looked at the parts book!  Thank all for there ifo, as usual HTT has helped me solve the problems!