May 10, 2024, 12:53:37 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1980 flh

Started by GREG CASSADY, September 07, 2014, 07:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GREG CASSADY

GREG_CASSADY: I just purchased a 1980 FLT- I ran the battery down while washing, etc. went to charge same, hooked positive up and because cover plate blocked negative I attached it to frame,didnt leave it on long and decided to try trickle charger, charger readout indicated no charging, I assume I may have blown the starter relay which I found under left hand cover, if any fuses blown where are they, possibly under speedometer face plate ? That the only place I haven't unveiled... could I have blown or fried any other components that are easy switch outs ?

motorplex88

If your charger is hooked directly to the positive post on the battery and a good unpainted ground to the bike, there are no fuses or relays to hinder your charging process. [grounding directly to the negative post on the battery would be ideal.]

xlfan

I would suspect all the main wires, both  positive and ground. Hook off all in both ends and cleanup corrosion. Remember the ground wire between engine and chassis, if memory serves it is located behind inner primary to a frame member. As said, these main power lines are not fused.

xlfan

Mule

Are you sure your battery isn't shorted? Could be just a bad (shorted ) battery.

david lee

you should have at least a reading on the charger regardless if battery is good or not there are no fuses.  i always put earth direct to battery not on frame check water level. how old is battery ? i never trust a battery on a used vehicle they dont last like they used to