May 04, 2024, 07:16:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

internal wiring for handle bars

Started by heron2000, March 14, 2009, 05:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heron2000

does anyone have some simple instructions for running wiring internal on 1 inch bars

Wingnut

Use a shop-vac to suck a piece of string through the bars. Tape wire to string and pull through.
Never ride faster then your angel can fly.

specialx1

Little talc powder works for me in addition to the vac trick herron metioned, specially if ya got bunch of wires to pull thru the talc helps em slip little easier as you pull em,
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

codyshop

Also make sure there are no burrs in the dimple holes!  Ray

Big Dan

If you have enough wire for the new bars, it's much better to remove the pins from the connectors, pull the wires, then put the pins back in the connectors as opposed to having any splices inside the bars. There's a little tool that looks like a tiny screwdriver that makes it much easier. You can get the tool at Napa. If they have more than one pin tool, it's the Delphi type.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

heron2000

thanks for the advise - what size hole do you drill
Leroy

alstar2

I use air & blow some fishing line through.the bars you buy already drilled
recomend using a one piece top clamp, if you don't have one.I think they
have had some problems with bars breaking.just remember it has to be
17# test fishing line.lol   Al

HenryJ

Isn't something missing here?

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the bars are stock height I believe you will need to lengthen the wires to allow for the internal routing.

At least on my wifes bike I see no way the current wires would reach if I were to pull them through the bars.

My bike has 12" mini apes so it was a moot point. I had to spice.

alstar2

I just put some 12.5 apes on an 06 rg & did not extend the wires, but
you do have to relocate the wire connectors.I would run the wires &
check it out.  Al

Big Dan

I put taller/wider bars on My Ultra and did not have to extend the wires. It was close, but it worked.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

maineultraclassic

No need to extend the wires on many bikes with different bars.

I just put a set of Wild 1 575's on a '08 Streetglide, all stock wires and cables were used. It looked good when I was done, only the brake line and clutch cable outside the bars..........very clean.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

Sc00ter

Quote from: Big Dan on March 15, 2009, 05:05:29 AM
If you have enough wire for the new bars, it's much better to remove the pins from the connectors, pull the wires, then put the pins back in the connectors as opposed to having any splices inside the bars. There's a little tool that looks like a tiny screwdriver that makes it much easier. You can get the tool at Napa. If they have more than one pin tool, it's the Delphi type.

I agree with Big Dan...

It's a PITA, but worth it when your finished!