May 04, 2024, 06:21:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Preventing rust.

Started by Phu Cat, March 14, 2009, 07:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phu Cat

When my kids were real young I felt givin up somethin dangerous like ridin motorcycles was the responsible thing to do.  Thinkin I might want to ressurect that bike someday back in the early 80's  (this was before the Harley bug bit) I cleaned the bike up real good and poured 2 cans of STP in the gas tank, then slowly rolled the tank around so it was completely coated on the inside.

Just recently I opened that tank to see what it looked like on the inside.  It's so shiny you might think it was a new tank.  STP may not be good for much else but it stays where it's put to prevent rust like nothing else I've ever ssen.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

specialx1

ya it for sure adheres!
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

PoorUB

Years back I used to take my Suzuki dirt bike and coat the whole works with LPS 3, (LPS 3 is some thick spray lube, makes WD40 look like some amateur stuff!), before storing it in the winter. I had a poor shed to store it in and was afraid of rust and corrosion. When I would drag it out int he spring it was filthy, dust stuck to everything! One trip to the car wash and it was good as new. I Stored it like this for a few years. If I had questionable storage for my HD I probably would do the same.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Clintster

Phu Cat, just curious what kind of bike?  You know I have always wondered what your name on the site is, or means, again just curious? TIA, Clint
Drive fast, take chances

Phu Cat

Clint, The bike is a '78 Kaw 750 twin.  It has more low end grunt than our big twin cuz of the 360 degree crank, but only makes about 55 horse on the top end.

Phu Cat was a little Air Force base (hardly anybody's heard of it.  It was in IIcorp, bout 15 clicks north of Qui Nhon)I was stationed at in Nam.  The gov was trying to create a combat unit for the Air Force and Phu Cat was experimental.  No Army, no Marine, no ROKs.  We ran all our own patrols, etc.  Have connected with a couple guys thru this screen name.

PC, 69-70
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Clintster

Phu Cat, Thanks for your service, the guys who served in Nam did not get the proper treatment by the American public.  Sorry for the lack of support you folks received, whenever I get a chance to thank a Nam Vet I do, you guys deserve it !!  On Topic , those were cool bikes, didn't get the press the four cylinder 750's.  Probably gets great fuel mileage and reliable as can be.  I wish I still had the GS 750 I had back then.  When in the Navy rode that bike from ohio to Bremerton, Washington.
Drive fast, take chances