May 04, 2024, 05:50:16 AM

News:

Heel or toe?

Started by Wingnut, November 08, 2008, 06:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnut

After years of riding FX style scooters, dirt bikes, etc., I went out and got myself an 06 Streetglide in Sept. of 05. Did my own mods. (Dewey heads, cam changout, 95", PC III etc.) Rode this thing for three summers now and still feel awkward shifting with my heel, can't get used to it.  Is it just me, or is there anyone out there that feels the same.
Never ride faster then your angel can fly.

RKC03

Think you're not alone, as they sell a "doodad" that covers up the splines when you remove the rear section of the heel-toe shifter. I ride a FLHRC and have never used the heel shifter myself. I, however, have not made any changes ...yet  :teeth:
RKC03

cowboy

I left mine on just to keep my boot from sliding back :smiled:
cowboy 94 softail
AlvinTX

mtnmotorrider

I took mine off as soon as I got the bike home.  Much more room on the footboard now for my size 13 foot!  I just used an old chrome axel spacer I had on hand to fill in the space betwen the toe shifter and the case.  Works great for two years now.
I like most dogs better than most people.

bouncingVman

Easier to use if you wear steel toed work boots.  :teeth:

I was the same way at first, now the heel shifter is all I use and would never go back. But then again I cruise more now and use the highway pegs constantly... easier to hit the heel shifter when moving my foot from the highway pegs.
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

marc

Had a Wide Glide for many years and then bought a Geezer Glide...First thing I did was get rid of that damn heal shifter...

Faast Ed

I take mine off every time.

I gave it a good effort to try and get used to shifting with the heel, it never happened.
Now I take the rear shifter off whenever I get another bike.

As others have said, more room for the foot, too!
≡Faast Ed>

Geezerglidebill

I started using a heel shifter in 1974 and although not all my bikes since then have had them, I would rather have one. You can use it if you like or not. If you don't have it you can never use it.

GGB

roadking911

Put new shifters on the first day of delivery, only used the the toe one to this date, 5 years now

Roadking911

roadtrain

Myself I only have the toe shifter fitted, as I like the extra room provided by leaving the heel shifter off.

It's an personal choise so go with what you like the best.

RT

DenverBagger

I like the heel shifter - it gives you the option to always push down to shift.

I always get extended shift lever from Walter's Workshop - it gives you a little more room - http://www.waltersworkshop.com/extended-shift-levers.html

Bakon

I use mine and in a pinch they can be swapped when the splines wear and they can't tighten anymore. Flipped mine to get home once.
wasting time

cyrus

I like the heel shift now. If I were to use the toe only for upshifting I get shin splints on very rugged roads with dozens of shifts per mile. I did accidently down shift once when I was up shifting at red line when I first got the bike- threw the rear wheel into a skid until I could grab the clutch again.
Cyrus in Halifax, NS

ROADGLIDE04

I TOOK MINE OFF FIRST THING. AFTER FOUR YEARS OF LOOKING AROUND FOR SOME DIFFERENT ARRANGEMENT I FINALLY WENT WITH HAWG HALTERS FORWARD CONTROLS. IN MY OPINION THEY LOOK MUCH CLEANER AND ARE GREAT FOR LONG TRIPS.

Arrowsmit

heel shifter here...I'm lazy. Hehehe

VicW.

Scooter Trash

Prefer using the heel and toe shifter on my dressers most of the time.
However, when things get gnarly, you know exciting traffic etc, I tend to use the toe exclusively.

wolf_59

Always thought it would be a pretty smooth set-up but after almost 5 yrs. I still have to force my self to use the heel shifter, only gets used about 5% of the time if that. It's just not natural !

madjack

I leave mine on, have gout in my big toes. I've been on rides were the day starts out ok, but the toe begins to flare up. There is no way I could have used the top of the foot to upshift. For those that don't have the gout, You just can't imagine the pain envolved  ooouucchh.  not lol,  Gene

Scooter Trash

Yeah, I do know. You can't put a sheet on your toe without it killing you! My sawbones prescribes Alaprurinal. I have been taking it for years with problems.

Scooter Trash

I met with NO problems!!

aquaman

I like the heel shift.  Just stomp and go.
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock.
Will Rogers

Sportsterboy

Is that like "allopurinol"..... :wink:

FLTRI

The cure to this delimma?
Just readjust the heel and toe levers so they are as low to the board as possible and still complete an up or down shift without hitting the board.
Now you will not be able to choose how you shift. This will retrain the rider in a matter of hours, or in the cases of the really stubborn, days to use the heel and toe shifter.
Come on, try it, but don't give yourself the option because we are creatures of habbit, and some never get the goods in life because of it. :wink:
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

2001FLSTC

Had only ridden bikes with toe shift before I got my Heritage.  That's a one way street once I tried the heel shift.....find it hard to use a toe shift now......take my dirt bike out and kick back with my heel.

I have size 11 feet and no problem with room for my boots on the boards....find on the highway as an added bonus the heel shift keeps my foot from sliding back.

Personal preference I guess.