May 03, 2024, 09:11:25 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

76 Shovel Electronic ignition

Started by mikesevo, March 15, 2009, 06:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesevo

Hey everyone,  I'm looking to convert a 1976 shovelhead, FL model to electronic ignition useing stock 1990's module, cup and sensor.  Is this possible with wireing changes?  A little history of my ability, I have built complete EVO bikes from the ground up and wiring the bikes one wire at a time.

springer-

I would dump the stock module stuff and go with a good aftermarket ignition.  They are much simpler to install and wire.  They are also more adjustable than the stock module (not adjustable).  Crane HI-4, DTT, Dyna 2000 are all good examples.

mikesevo

I totally agree that would be much simpler to use, but is this possible?

hd76fxlr

I have used the Crane Hi-4...Had heat problem...They may have fixed it by now.I have both the dyna 2000i and 2000ip...Both have been flawless.My 2cnts.Charlie

springer-

Quote from: mikesevo on March 15, 2009, 06:52:29 AM
I totally agree that would be much simpler to use, but is this possible?

They fit any cone style engine.  1970 to present including Sportsters with the cone style.

mikesevo

buzzurd

baldoldfxr

the ultima 2k ignition is a dyna 2000 but much cheaper.

pan64

Do these aftermarket ignitions require the old mechanical advance system???

springer-

The ones mentioned in this thread do not use the advance weights.  There are other aftermarket ignition systems that do use the advance weights like the Twin Power unit or the Dyna "S" ignition.  For technical reasons I would not use the Dyna "S" as it is very old technology and just about any other ignition is a better design.

76shuvlinoff

Been running a Dyna 2000i since 2003 in my 76 FLH, I had it on my 74"er then put it on my 93. I now have dual plugs so I had to buy another set of coils (but I think they have a single coil module that works for dual plugs) I can't remember the resistance value of the coils I am using but they're the old green ones. I also went to single fire with the flip of a dipswitch. This ignition has been zero trouble since I put it in (knocking wood). It is not recommended for kick start applications. Dynatec suggests the Dyna S for kicking.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

springer-

The green coils are 3 ohm, the black are 5 ohm and the red are 1.5 ohms.  Dyna coils anyways.

Simons_shovel

I have been running a Crane Hi4 on my 82 FXRS for years, only had one problem when a wire came off one of the diodes that connect to the primary side of the coil. 

brent

i have used the dyna s for years no problems and simple 

ricochet

Anyone know how many wires and what gauge they use on the Dyna S or Ultima equavalent ignitions?

ricochet

randallwhitman

Quote from: pan64 on March 15, 2009, 05:56:14 PM
Do these aftermarket ignitions require the old mechanical advance system???

The way to go with electronic, is to get one that has no moving parts.  In other words, it does not use the troublesome advance assembly.  I've run a Compufire (with a VOES) on my dual plugger for at least 10 years with zero problems.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

Ultrashovel

I would look for one that has a tach drive wire and also a VOES control. I definitely would not buy any electronic ignition that uses weights. The whole point of an electronic ignition should be to get away from the weights.

By the way, it's best to buy a matching coil from the manufacturer. Also, if they specify resistor spark plug wires and cables, there's a good reason. It's to match the load to the output portion of the spark control unit.