April 27, 2024, 11:18:42 AM

News:

Front axel

Started by Evo1, November 08, 2008, 07:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evo1

I'm up grading the front brakes on my 90 FLHTC with late model twinky parts. The question is..... The late model fork lowers use a 1" axel and my wheel uses a 3/4" axel. I'm thinking of making two bushings for the lowers to bush down to 3/4". Is there anything wrong with doing this or do you have any other suggestions?

Trip

Dont ...................go buy the correct sealed bearings....Harley even has em.

Evo1

Thanks!    I did not realize that the wheel could take different bearings. When asked the question the dealer was very unhelpful. I have no doubt that there is more practical knowledge on this site than at any of the dealers.  Thanks again!

gryphon

The conversion you want to make is pretty straight forward but it does present a few problems. One thing is that If you go to a 1" axle and have a front wheel speedo drive then you can't run your speedo. It can be bushed out, I have done it on my old shovels so that I could continue the use the stock front wheel. For my front axle I just used a 3/4" rear axle and centered the wheel with spacers. The discs also need to be centered in the calipers. The left leg is already 3/4" because the 1" axle steps down. I only had to bush the right side. I know that on the 2000 and later wheels you can swap out between 3/4" and 1" bearings but I was also unaware that 1" bearings were available for the early wheels which use a different type of bearing from the later wheels. If you don't have to worry about a speedo drive then it's easiest just to buy a complete front wheel of of ebay complete with the late style rotors. I am not sure about the touring bikes but I know that on the softails, FXR's, and 4 speed frames with a 3/4" rear axle you can run a rear wheel speedo drive. It's a much cleaner setup than the front wheel drive. I've been running one for years now with zero problems.

Evo1

I was wondering about the speedo drive. All things considered maybe my original thought to bush or make a press on sleeve for the right side of the axle may just be the simplest.

I'll have to look into the possibility of relocating the speedo drive to the rear.  Which side works the best, pulley or brake disc?

Evo1

Just had another thought.  Would it be possible to turn down a 1" axle to 3/4" where needed or is it too hard to turn down?

gryphon

All the rear wheel speedo drives I've seen have been left side (sprocket side).