May 09, 2024, 09:47:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What Should I do next after Smart Tune

Started by Road King Ray, September 17, 2014, 07:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road King Ray

Ok I have a 2011 Road King, SE-254E cams, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, V&H Twin Slash Rounds, V&H True Duals, H-D Super Tuner. I had it tuned at the dealer after upgrades. It ran good but felt it was not right. Seemed to run to hot even in cooler temps. So I downloaded the SE program and found the cal installed was for Big Bore Cylinders, High Compression Heads, Race Exhaust, no were near my set up. I found Cal 44AAR001 which was closer to what I have, changed the engine to 96, lowered the red line rpm from 6500 to 5000. Ran about 4 Smart Tune sessions and VE tables appear within the 5% of the previous table, if I'm doing correctly. set the throttle responsesensity for matching (twist grip 40% throttle plates 40%). Bike runs much better and stronger along with being cooler. I have Decell pop on slow roll off of throttle or a quick roll off at about 2,000 rpm not all the time. I did notice that I was going through more fuel then before. So as a Automotive Tech for over 25 years I did something that is not correct. I sniffed the exhaust what I found was the Front Cylinder had no raw fuel smell and the Rear Cylinder did. So I know the Rear Cylinder is running rich. So here is my question should I try to do another Smart Tune with as much data, or do I change the VE tables to lean it out. In the Automotive field we have no access to any of the tables unless you were a calibrator. So re-calibrating my bike is new to me but I understand what is going on.  :scratch:

joe_lyons

I would make the dealer redo their job and make sure they do it right this time.  Have you touched any of the other tables other than the ve tables?
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Road King Ray

Yes I have touched the other tables. The Tune was done over a year ago. So If I went back they would charge me again. At first I did it just to see what cal was used as a base. Then the more I read the manual I thought I can do this. I don't think they do any recordings then upload the readjusted VE tables and then tune from there. I think they use just the base VE Tables and adjust using the other tables. I have made the bike more responsive by enriching the Acell Enrichment, Adj the Decel Enleanment for some decel pop, and Throttle Responsivity for a 1to1 match when you twist the grip. When you acell now it will push you back against the back rest. It never did that before.

hrdtail78

Your next step is to verify what the narrow bands are reading.  Smart tune adjust the VE around the switching point.  With the pipes you have.  The rear has a tendency to suck a bunch of fresh air into the exhaust across the sensor.  Your sensor location is easier for this fresh air to hit.  The sensor doesn't know what it is reading.  From out of the combustion chamber or fresh air.  It see's lean and adds fuel.  If you look at your rear VE do you have a spike or hump where you are smelling rich?

Not that the header is good or bad.  IME with that header.  Running closed loop or mapping VE with the ECM's closed loop doesn't work in the lower RPM and MAP areas, but closed loop does work in your cruise area most of the time. 

I would find a good tuner that has the equipment to tune and verify the results.  Good Luck

Jason.
Semper Fi