May 05, 2024, 02:35:16 PM

News:

Front Fork Oil

Started by Shortlegs, March 15, 2009, 12:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shortlegs

March 15, 2009, 12:13:16 PM Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 12:25:49 PM by Shortlegs
Forgot to buy HD's E Oil while at the stealer yesterday, found a quart of New BellRay 15w  fork oil on the shelf in garage, here, its snowing like gangbusters here I,m bored and the ole lady is lookin for chores for me to do, any body have any idea of the weight of the E oil HD says must be used in there Showa front ends.
  Thanks in advance, gotta head out to the garage, she is looking at me like a wounded cougar with a mop in her hand.

PC_Hater

Belray used to say that their 10W was the correct alternative for HD 'E' oil.
Your forks would probably enjoy a bit more damping from the 15W, and if you don't like it, you can go and play in the garage again to put 10W in the forks.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Norton Commando

I've always used ATF in the forks of my motorcycles.
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

stroker800

In my eary FL front end(72-73) I have used 30 wt non detergent motor oil,,,Iwas told bout same wt as HD heavy fork oil.
Dave

road-dawgs1

Allegedly it is supposed to be this:
HD Type E = Fork Oil 10wt (Type Eâ,,¢)
HD Type B = Fork Oil 15wt (Type Bâ,,¢)
HD Type H/D = Fork Oil 20wt (Type H/Dâ,,¢)

Another school of thought claims this:
E is 5 wt
B is 10 wt
SE is 15 wt
SE heavy (racing) is 20 wt

I mix a bottle of E and a bottle of SE together and use that.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Shortlegs

Thank you all for the reply's, guess I cant really do no harm by puttin it in, Like PC says if I dont like it I can always change it.
Still snowin here in Victoria BC, didnt somebody say spring was commin, seems like we had warmer weather in Feb, out on the wet coast that is

Mike52

Shortlegs, I used Bel-Ray 20wt fork oil in my '06 Street Glide when I added the chrome sliders, I love the improvement, several of my buddies with '05 E.Glides rode my bike after the change and they loved it too, wanted me to change their forks to the Bel-Ray. I'd say go for it.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

harleyjt

I sent a note to BelRay and asked how their product lines up with Harley's B and E, etc.  I was surprised by the response, but here it is.  Go figure.....
jt

Dear JT,

Thanks for writing in.

Harley Davidson Type B fork oil has similar viscosity to Bel-Ray High Performance Fork Oil 15W and Type E fork oil has similar viscosity to Bel-Ray High Performance Fork Oil 20W.

Thanks for using Bel-Ray Performance Products.

Check out our website at www.belray.com.

Regards,

SirTech
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

Evo160K

Shortlegs,
Unless you have to put in oil now, why not wait?  Although Belray said "similar", they didn't say "identical".  I wouldn't mix it, as harmless as that might be.

Mi_RDGlide

Quote from: Mike52 on March 15, 2009, 04:20:48 PM
Shortlegs, I used Bel-Ray 20wt fork oil in my '06 Street Glide when I added the chrome sliders, I love the improvement, several of my buddies with '05 E.Glides rode my bike after the change and they loved it too, wanted me to change their forks to the Bel-Ray. I'd say go for it.

Mike

Mike Im going to try Bel-Ray 20wt in my 06 RG, let ya know how it works in a few weeks.
You only need to be 10% smarter than the thing your working on.

Shortlegs

Thanks again for the reply's, front end's together now, complete with chrome sliders, i'm like a crow cant get enough of this shiny stuff.