May 08, 2024, 02:20:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Whats best tire changer?

Started by Flhfxd, September 23, 2014, 06:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flhfxd

Looking to buy a manual tire changer. I know the Coats 220 is a good unit but I can't find any used ones anywhere ( I'm on a "reality" budget ). Anyone know of a website to source a good North American made manual tire changer? I will not buy Asian products. I want to do heavy motorcycle, car and pick up truck tires. As I said, I'm on a budget.
Cheers, Flhfxd,
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

Coyote

Wicked

I just sold my Coats 200 Cycler manual. Wasn't really strong enough for light truck tires and wouldn't adjust enough for the larger dia car tires.  I fixed both those problems by making a center-post style adapter to fit in it.   I do NOT miss that manual bead breaking one bit!!
Picked up a 2yr old Atlas for not much more than the used manual ones I seen on Kijiji...

Flhfxd

Nice. I like the No-Mar products but I'm a bit hesitant to pull the trigger. It's a lot of money. I was hoping to find something like an older used Coats 220 for about 1/2 the cost of new. There's an indy guy close to me and he has two, But isn't interested to sell either. Keep searching I guess......
Cheers, Flhfxd.

Ratman1640

I just bought a Nomar tire changer and it works well . It clamps the wheel well but the demount bar tip will bend if your not careful when taking the tire off , it should have a bolt that runs up through the center but the mounting is easy for the most part. I have only used it twice and Im sure with usage it will get easier to use but no metal to metal as advertised. Will not scratch the rim !!
where every you go..... there you are.......

Flhfxd

Does anyone have info on the Harbor Freight tire changer? Can you do truck tires too? Its way less expensive. And what makes the No-Mar worth so much more?
Cheers, Flhfxd.

PoorUB

Quote from: Flhfxd on October 06, 2014, 11:55:00 AM
Does anyone have info on the Harbor Freight tire changer? Can you do truck tires too? Its way less expensive. And what makes the No-Mar worth so much more?
Cheers, Flhfxd.

I have a HF tire changer. In the stock form, right out of the store it is ok, but there is a guy that makes a demount/mount bar, and poly rim blocks for the HF changer. Buy these and it is a pretty good changer for the money. I have never tried to do a car or truck tire on it, but I doubt it could be any worse than some of these stiff tires used on the late model baggers! I have mounted many tires over the years with my HF changer. I am very satisfied with it for motorcycle tires. The only issue is the rim wants to slide in the poly blocks so I strap the rim through one of the spokes on the cast wheel. I have been intending on making a stop of some sort, but never get around to it.

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

mor pwr

I have a No Mar tire changer Jr. Pro model. I have changed over 200 tires on it in the last 3 years. Once you learn the technique on how to do it, it's a snap. 

Nebraskarider1

Quote from: Flhfxd on September 23, 2014, 06:58:45 PM
Looking to buy a manual tire changer. I know the Coats 220 is a good unit but I can't find any used ones anywhere ( I'm on a "reality" budget ). Anyone know of a website to source a good North American made manual tire changer? I will not buy Asian products. I want to do heavy motorcycle, car and pick up truck tires. As I said, I'm on a budget.
Cheers, Flhfxd,
Quote from: Flhfxd on October 06, 2014, 11:55:00 AM
Cheers, Flhfxd.

I take it you had a change of mind on Asian products if you are considering the Harbor Freight tire changer? I have one and its ok but some of No-Mars tools may help with it I made my own Mojo blocks for it, stiff tires can be a test because the blocks make it a little harder to get the tire down in the low spot of the rim. I don't think HF makes the motorcycle attachment anymore though, but I did hear someone say they were redesigning it and gonna have it again. The car changer part works great on car tires but 10 ply Light Truck tires can be a pain if you care about your aluminum rims. Plan on some rim protectors and some Stubby plastic tools help too, and probably No-Mars yellow thing tool and their mount/demount bar. Plan on a little reinforcing here and there on the bead breaker too. Might as well just get the No-Mar with the tools. I got tired of the labor, maybe I didn't do enough to get onto the "technique" and needed some of No-Mars tools, but bought a powered Derek Weaver, does my bike tires and my 10 ply LT tires easily with no scratches, but again made in China, hard to avoid these days when you are on a budget. $1044 vs. God only knows how much for an American made machine, hard to justify for home use. Bottom Line,... if I was gonna do manual over again I'd try No-Mar or their cheaper brand before the HF. Spend it now or spend it later.

Jaycee1964

Best one is at your Indy's shop while you sit across the street in the diner having breakfast.
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

Flhfxd

Spend it now (and save $$$), or spend it later is definitely the way the world works. Yes, I hate spending money on overseas crap but the changer is is less than $100.00!
I was looking at the Ultimate Jr. Pro package which costs somewhere around a grand. Big difference. I have quite a few buddies who ride (all types) so I'm hoping to use this frequently, may be get some free beer etc for the garage fridge.  :wink:  I do understand that I would need some No Mar accessories, yellow thingy, mount de mnt bar, etc. I'll look closer and see what the real difference is. In a way I'm comparing apples / oranges, but it's only because I haven't decided how big I want to go on this purchase.
Thanks for input.
Flhfxd.

Durwood

I agree with Jaycee, LOL.

I bought the No-mar, it does the job pretty good, but by the time you get the optional rim clamps, you could pay for a pneumatic machine.

Fairweatherrdr

My cousin has a HF changer. I used it once and bought a NoMar. I am not sorry. There really is no comparison. The HF unit is little better than changing one with a couple of tire spoons on the garage floor, and about as easy to keep from scratching a wheel.

PoorUB

The NoMar is probably the way to go, it is on sale at this time. I can not complain about my HF changer with the Mojo accessories. I have less than $200 into it and I don't scratch rims either. With the stock HF demount bar and rim clamps you will scratch up you rims.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

04 SE Deuce

I have a No-Mar/Jr Pro also.  Like Durwood said it does pretty good,  a pneumatic machine would be easier but I don't need it. 

Technique and doing every thing/step right makes it fairly easy.  Last time I changed a pair of tires for a knowledgeable friend his comment was "you made that look easy."

If your mechanical ability leans towards assess and finesse then a manual No-Mar will be fine.  If your more the 2 thumb type and tend to force things then you may be better with a pneumatic.

Changing tires on a manual changer is kinda like SEX...technique/finesse,  proper positioning,  lifting that lazy tire up,  getting it down in the center,  using your yellow thing,  mastering your mount/demount bar,  making sure the friction areas are wet/lubed,  knowing/using the right amount of effort and not forcing it.   Rick

60wt

if it's for your own use.... this is what I did....Bought  Harbor freight tire changer, got the No-mar rim clamps, made some brackets to mount rim clamps to HF tire changer...got no-mar mount/ demount bar... bolted trailer receiver hitch to HF tire changer.... slip it into pick up truck receiver....open beer...change tire.......( highly recommend  use of  tire slikem of some sort)....$$$very happy$$$ :smiled:
I'm going nucking futs

kristian

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on October 07, 2014, 12:11:22 PM
I have a No-Mar/Jr Pro also.  Like Durwood said it does pretty good,  a pneumatic machine would be easier but I don't need it. 

Technique and doing every thing/step right makes it fairly easy.  Last time I changed a pair of tires for a knowledgeable friend his comment was "you made that look easy."

If your mechanical ability leans towards assess and finesse then a manual No-Mar will be fine.  If your more the 2 thumb type and tend to force things then you may be better with a pneumatic.

Changing tires on a manual changer is kinda like SEX...technique/finesse,  proper positioning,  lifting that lazy tire up,  getting it down in the center,  using your yellow thing,  mastering your mount/demount bar,  making sure the friction areas are wet/lubed,  knowing/using the right amount of effort and not forcing it.   Rick

damn, had to step out for a cigarette after reading your post!   :slap:
Kris

Flhfxd

Yeah thats funny. I'll never look at changing tires the same way again.
Cheers, Flhfxd.