May 05, 2024, 09:10:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2003 1200 Problems

Started by SkinHD1, March 15, 2009, 03:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkinHD1

Hello all.  A friend of mine is having problems.  When he is cruising down the road he says it stutters every once in a while and the tach drops a little  when this happens.  When he gets on it hard it starts to miss around 4-4500 rpms.  It sounds like an ignition problem.  Any ideas or suggestions?

SkinHD1

andyxlh

Hi Mate
I agree, I'd look at the plugs and leads first. If they have been in there a while change them. Could be bad fuel or watr in it too.
cheers
andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

calif phil

Rusty or coroded spark plug wires, A bad igntion module is another fairly common problem on sporty's

SkinHD1

Thanks for the info.

SkinHD1

Hossamania

Check for vacuum leaks around the carb or efi gaskets, spray some carb cleaner at the base of carb and at the manifold to head gaskets. If it changes idle you're leaking. But don't get fooled by fluid being sucked into the throat of the carb. Also if it is a carb, has the mixture screw been drilled out and adjusted?Does it sit for long periods (winter)?. Could be dirty, gummed carb.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.