May 09, 2024, 05:35:46 AM

News:

S&S 144 engine Specs

Started by HD/Wrench, September 29, 2014, 03:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CowboyTutt

QuoteThat's going to be about 670 lift on those stilts, isn't it?  They must feel very confident in their valve train for long term use.  -Tutt

Definition of long term:   The warranty is 6 months.... so long term would be 6 months plus 1 day..

I hope that Dorfman sees this post, but IIRC he told me that the S&S spring pack on my "as delivered" CNC B2 heads was almost 600 lbs at the valve seat.  Not sure what the B3 heads are running in the 143 but doubt it is different.  That is not a recipe for valve train longevity.  Don swapped out some Woods dual springs that will get the job done very well but not torture the valve train. 

Don, please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't want to spread inaccurate data.  Sending you a text Pard. 

Thanks and Regards,   

-Tutt 

HD/Wrench

I would bet that he was saying on the cam nose ( max lift) . 600 on the seat would mean 900+ open.

CowboyTutt

November 24, 2015, 01:24:03 PM #177 Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:26:34 PM by CowboyTutt
Your probably right Steve.  I've notified Dorfman for some clarity here.  Current valve springs are W188 with S&S TI retainers as best as I can tell from invoice.  Current pressure at the seat is just under 200. 

Thank you for your help. 

Regards,

-Tutt 

Don D

The B2 heads came with triple springs that were 235 seat 650 open. Trimmed that back a bit.

CowboyTutt

Thanks for the prompt response Don.  I'm sorry for my inaccurate post but knew you would correct it.  Everything about my build with you has been about making incremental changes for more power and longevity.  I'm sure it will pay off in the end.  Thank you Sir! 

-A- 

Buffalo

My 124 has the triple springs, 640 cams,  rated for 173 seated, 430 over the nose if memory serves. 2" intakes. Would a 2.3" intake really require springs as heavy as 600lbs over the nose?? I would have thought this to be the perfect place to run behives.  just writing out loud   Buffalo

Don D

The B2 springs shipped are for the larger spring pack, not the same as what is used on Super Stock heads.

CowboyTutt

Buffalo, I questioned the same thing to Dorfman about my build about using beehives with similar rocker ratios (1.7 Baisley corrected on intake, stock ratio on exhaust), and timing and lifter marks.  Not the best way to go as I hope they can explain. 

Regards,

-Tutt 

Don D

It's the perfect place not to run beehives. None have the length and proper spring rate.

strokerjlk

Quote from: CowboyTutt on November 24, 2015, 01:11:22 PM
QuoteThat's going to be about 670 lift on those stilts, isn't it?  They must feel very confident in their valve train for long term use.  -Tutt

Definition of long term:   The warranty is 6 months.... so long term would be 6 months plus 1 day..

I hope that Dorfman sees this post, but IIRC he told me that the S&S spring pack on my "as delivered" CNC B2 heads was almost 600 lbs at the valve seat.  Not sure what the B3 heads are running in the 143 but doubt it is different.  That is not a recipe for valve train longevity.  Don swapped out some Woods dual springs that will get the job done very well but not torture the valve train. 

Don, please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't want to spread inaccurate data.  Sending you a text Pard. 

Thanks and Regards,   

-Tutt

what makes you say that? now you will never know for yourself.
how many miles does one have to run in order to have "longevity" ?
i put 45,000 miles on the SE heads with over 500 lbs of nose pressure. some of the guys that said it should not/could not   be done "because of "longevity" are still bench building their engines in the meantime.
this is exactly how internet myths get started. do it, run it, test it,before you make statement like this. because S&S ALREADY HAS.
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

sfmichael

Quote from: strokerjlk on November 24, 2015, 07:13:37 PM
Quote from: CowboyTutt on November 24, 2015, 01:11:22 PM

Thanks and Regards,   

-Tutt

what makes you say that? now you will never know for yourself.
how many miles does one have to run in order to have "longevity" ?
i put 45,000 miles on the SE heads with over 500 lbs of nose pressure. some of the guys that said it should not/could not   be done "because of "longevity" are still bench building their engines in the meantime.
this is exactly how internet myths get started. do it, run it, test it,before you make statement like this. because S&S ALREADY HAS.

great point  :beer:
Colorado Springs, CO.