May 08, 2024, 12:55:20 PM

News:

110 octane experience

Started by N-gin, September 30, 2014, 05:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-gin

I recently went on a ride all day and ended up at a fuel station with 110 octane. Now I've been riding for 150 miles that day, so I was pretty in tune with how the bike was reacting and overall running.
The bike is my 09 Dyna, 107cuin. CCP is 197, sm660 cams, Dons pro heads with grooves. Tuned by Paradise.
I should also add I had recently used a gas can full of 91 octane that has been sitting in the garage for a about five weeks. After adding the fuel to the bike I experienced spark knock when blipping the throttle and even roll on. Since the addition of the fuel can fuel I have filled up 4 times with any were from 91-93 octane. With the same spark knock events.
So this leads us to the current setting of me adding 2.5 gallons of 110 octane to the 1.5 of 91 octane at the fuel station.
About 2 minutes of ridding I noticed the engine was smoother and of course no knock. My handlebars didn't shake or vibrate as much. Overall running was really better.
Engine power was down some which I expected being a slower burning fuel, but was smooth.

I never had a problem with spark knock after Paradise had tunned the bike. It ran excellent until I added the old can of 91. However I will say the engine is smoother with the 110 octane even after the fresh tune.

My question is:
Why will the engine run smoother (less vibration) ?
I was thinking maybe my compression is to high for the fuel I'm running, and need to start getting an additive.
Any thoughts?
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Admiral Akbar

The 110 typically burns a little slower, power stokes are not as strong.. You could probably get the same thing by backing off the timing a little and running 91.

Max

rbabos

Everything mentioned points to timing too much advance. Pretty bad when it pings blipping the throttle. For overall efficiency and cost, you'd be further ahead with 91 and correct timing.
Ron

strokerjlk

Try some Heet in the tank . Then put a new set of plugs in it .
Sounds like you picked up some water from the lawn mower fuel .
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

2006FXDCI

2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

N-gin

September 30, 2014, 06:02:49 PM #5 Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:10:23 PM by N-gin
I'll try the Heet.I had first thought that I had bad fuel but after running several fill ups through I would have thought it would have pasted through already.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Ohio HD

I played around with Turbo Blue 110 octane. Was mixing 1/2 and 1/2 with 93 octane. It did eliminate detonation I had in some high MAP areas. I also could feel that the motor was smoother and more responsive, just about everywhere. I had experimented with adding some fuel in the areas I had detonation before experimenting with the Turbo Blue, but that would only delay the detonation a little. I ended up dropping the timing in a few high MAP areas.

Notice how the Turbo Blue changes the color of the exhaust in the pipe? When my friend runs it at the same 1/2 and 1/2, in his race bike, he sees the same change in the exhaust color.

[attach=0]  

2006FXDCI

The tune was fine until he used the lawn mower gas . Thats when something changed . I agree after a few tanks it should of cleared so i would be looking at the plugs or fuel filter . Pinging by just blipping the throttle is strange , spark advance in that area should be low .

strokerjlk

it makes a diff what turbo blue you use
stoichiometric varies
re flash the closed loop map.
or use the open loop map while you run the heet through it .
either way . re flash a map or re set adaptive fuel with data master .

Turbo Blue Unleaded (100 octane): 13.9:1
Turbo Blue Unleaded Plus (104 octane): 13.7:1
Turbo Blue 110: 14.7:1
Turbo Blue Advantage: 14.9:1
Turbo Blue Extreme: 15.0:1

2006FXDCI

I always forget about the adaptive controls  :embarrassed:

N-gin

Adaptive controls?
:idunno:
Someone tell me how to reset.
Been a while since I messed with the TTS program. Last time I messed with it was before the blue box. About 4 updates ago

strokerjlk

Quote from: N-gin on October 01, 2014, 03:24:51 AM
Adaptive controls?
:idunno:
Someone tell me how to reset.
Been a while since I messed with the TTS program. Last time I messed with it was before the blue box. About 4 updates ago
Just re flash either one of your maps. The AFV's  will be reset .

N-gin

Ok I bought some Heet, and fresh 93 octane.. I di look for 91 but couldn't find. Im sure I could of found it 15 miles away but didn't want to drive that far, it was getting late.
I drained the tank in a separate fuel can, and added several oz. of Heet to the tank. then poured 1galon of fuel in, then reflashed with :

N-gin

I also got some spark plugs from the store. regular champion coppers.
Took it for a few miles down the street and even the highway. I put an extra gallon of fuel on the seat hoping to run out of fuel but dint ride far enough to run out. Vibrates a tad but not as bad as before. There might still be a little 110 mix in the tank. As far as pinging goes it didn't. I did notice on heavy deceleration it backfired maybe around 3000 RPM.
As far as weather it is a little cool outside, 65 degrees.
Ill have to ride it more to make sure all the old 110 mix is completely out then put the other gallon of fresh 93 in.

N-gin

Is there a possibility that the O2s got a little coating on them from the 110 mix?
I'm thinking it will skew the readings.

An after thought is when the tune was new it was fine kind of like it feels now with the reflash. I do remember that the more I rode it the more vibration accrued. I'm thinking the O2s adjusted over time..

strokerjlk

Quote from: N-gin on October 01, 2014, 04:43:04 PM
Is there a possibility that the O2s got a little coating on them from the 110 mix?

An after thought is when the tune was new it was fine kind of like it feels now with the reflash. I do remember that the more I rode it the more vibration accrued. I'm thinking the O2s adjusted over time..

turbo blue is hard on 02 sensors . and yes it forms a coating on  the o2 sensors .
it is also pretty bad stuff if it has sat in the tanks all year. I had a bike come in to tune that had it in the tank ,it had to be drained to even get the bike to run.
its a catch 22 on racing fuel out of the pump. in the spring ,they put it in the same tank that had kerosene in it all winter. then it sits in the tank all summer until they run it out.
your pipe isn't the best at maintaining a closed loop tune either . (that's why I gave you a open loop map as well)
I sent you a new closed loop and open loop map to try also.
might check for intake/exhaust  leaks and make sure your IAC port is clean also

q1svt

October 01, 2014, 09:43:28 PM #16 Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:50:40 PM by q1svt
Quote from: N-gin on October 01, 2014, 04:43:04 PM
The coating would be from the  L E A D

3-4 gals generally will not kill them, but will shorten their life (RacePac says running leaded fuel can reduce a WB O2 service life down to 50 hours)

Does your ecm tuner have an open air calibration or test procedure?
Many products like RacePac, Innovative Motorsports, even TMax have built in tests/recalibration procedures for WB O2's.. Most of the WB O2's used have a common connector so an Innovative A/F gauge/meter can be hooked up to your WB O2's to check them.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/whycalibrate.php
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.