May 07, 2024, 02:17:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Which post on solenoid?

Started by bob_e95482, March 16, 2009, 04:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob_e95482

Does the top post go to the battery? Bottom to starter?

LT611

Rodney_C

I would have to disagree with that, your top post goes to your battery and the bottom goes to the starter I have the book here if you need further info.

Old Crow

I believe it's actually the longer of the two big posts that goes to the batt.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

dave_9113

What type of coil do you have in the first place?  Some coils have markings on them, but I'm assuming yours does not.  On a stock shovelhead wiring set up, the positive does go to the bottom terminal, with top going to ignition.  Best to know your exact coil type.

dave

81hogman

LT611

Hmmmmm,i guess it must have changed,for the last 29 yrs mine has been bottom-batt.,came from factory like that and has been reconnected that way every time motor was put back in LOL,oh well, :soda:,guess i should spend some more time with my book  :hyst:

bob_e95482

When I think about it, the solenoid's a coil, that, when energized, pulls in the plunger. The posts meet the disc, current flows through the disc from one post to the other post. It should be able to work either way. If so, why is one post longer than the other?
One more question- I needed a longer cable from the solenoid to the battery, I got a 6GA at the Tractor Supply, should it be 4GA?

Old Crow

Was out working on my '82 today.  Battery hooks to the long post, which on this solonoid is the bottom post.
Seems like sometimes if they're hooked up  backwards, when  you hit the button, the solonoid will kick in, but not quit when you let go of the button.

ramcr913

I'm with Old Crow- the longer stud goes to the battery. This would be the top one. At least that's what my manual shows.

Bob- you are correct in assuming it shouldn't matter because electrically, not much is happening except a washer connecting the two terminals. However, if you have a manual check out the solenoid continuity tests. There are two coils within the solenoid- the "pull in" coil and the "hold in" coil. The pull in coil is wired across the short terminal (starter) and the small solenoid terminal.  The hold in coil is wired across the solenoid terminal and ground (the solenoid case). This is why you may experience a solenoid not quitting when you let go of the button if its wired backwards.

LT611- I can believe yours was backwards from the factory, stranger things have happened. I cannot explain why the hold in coil is releasing when you let off the button. As long as its working, I sure wouldn't worry about it.

Old Crow

Went out and pulled the cover off my wife's evo Superglide.  On that solonoid, the long terminal is indeed the top.  It's also got the battery lead hooked up to it.

bob_e95482

I have an Accel solenoid, with the long stud on top. I hooked the battery cable to it. Here it is so far-

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]