May 06, 2024, 12:10:09 AM

News:

Super G leaks

Started by ChopperBob66, March 16, 2009, 11:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChopperBob66

I've got an S&S Super G, that leaks from the overflow. I've disassembled it, cleaned it, and it will good for a few weeks. But, then it starts leaking again. I've checked the float level, and it's good. Each time I've disassembled it for this problem, I haven't found any dirt or debris in the bowl or on the needle/seat. The carb is almost 5 years old. Does the needle/seat tend to wear out, or get deformed over time, so it won't always properly seat itself? Thanks for any help/assistance/advice.
Bob
MMC(SS) USN ret.
Phoenix, Az

Ironpig9

Chopper Bob,
Is it leaking a little or alot? Every time I've had a carb leak (a lot) it's been the float sticking. And I've torn them down and the float looked fine. Have you super cleaned the float assembly and or looked for any wear marks on it? You have a perplexing problem, the worst kind. Good luck.
Ironpig9

PS Check the float real closely to make sure it's not leaking (have a crack or something like that). A fine crack that would slowly let it lose air and fill with fuel might fit your description of the problem. Maybe a new float is in order.
"The road goes on forever...."

Admiral Akbar

If you damage the viton needle the carb will dribble.. Not hard to do it. If you see any kind of mark in the rubber, replace it.. I've managed to damage a couple just messin' around. Max

ChopperBob66

I don't think it's a cracked or leaking float. I would think the problem would be more frequent, or continous. Checking the float and attached hardware for wear is a good idea though. It could have worn in a place where it occasionally hangs up. I've inspected the needle pretty close (with magnifying glass), and couldn't see any unusual marks. I guess I'll just replace the needle, (should the seat be replaced at the same time?). I guess it can't be too expensive. Thanks for the input.
Bob
MMC(SS) USN ret.
Phoenix, Az

ChopperBob66

Oh yeah, the leak rate is about 1-2 drops per minute. Not a constant "flow". And now, after thinking about that; if the float was hanging up, it would probably be a constant flow. Just thinking (which gets harder and harder at my age).  :idea: :hyst:
Bob
MMC(SS) USN ret.
Phoenix, Az

Panzer

I agree with Iron.
If it were mine, I'd replace the needle and seat (usually a matched pair) & the float.
How much can it cost.
In there, may as well do the whole works.
But, that's just me......hate doing a job twice.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

massheadcase1

Just went thru that same bs with one of those....replaced the needle... still leaked... replaced the float still leaked.....replaced the seat problem solved....Headcase

Panzer

Hey..........Headcase did a follow up.
Wish more people would do the same and let all know what works and what doesn't.
Headcase.......... :up:

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

ChopperBob66

Yeah, I agree.  Well, I don't want to replace everything at once (float, needle, seat). Then we will never know which one was the culprit. I'll get out the magnifying glass and inspect the float for damage, and the bowl and hinge for any wear. And replace the needle and seat as a set to start with. If it still leaks, I'll replace the float. I'll let you all know the results.
Bob
MMC(SS) USN ret.
Phoenix, Az