April 27, 2024, 10:00:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lifter Blocks and Tappets

Started by 1972XlchBobber, March 16, 2009, 03:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1972XlchBobber

1972 Ironhead

My front intake lifter has a slight toggle to and fro which occurs at top dead center. 

My local parts guy said to try it on the valve which is most in line with the lifters.  Which valve operates in a straightest line with the lifters?

What gets warn down, the lifter block or the tappet?

Thanks, Mike

wreck74

the block wears the most. american ledgend has them for $54.99 each.http://www.legendmcs.com/storelobby.html

saltcaveminer

well if its the block thats worn then it wont really matter which lifter is in the hole (they will all be loose)the lifter fit is .001 Salty

cajun1957a

I too am having an issue with a lifter block on a 75 xlch 1000.  The second one from the front will not go in.....is there a trick? It almosts looks as if it is hitting on the cylinder base.  Its very tight.  All the others dropped right in.  I mic'd it out and its round..so is the hole.

randy

saltcaveminer

it looks like its hitting the cylinder base because it is hitting the cylinder base!unbolt the base nuts on the jug .lift the jug just enough to install the block and all will fit.Salty

rider7816

Quote from: 1972XlchBobber on March 16, 2009, 03:00:16 PM
1972 Ironhead

My front intake lifter has a slight toggle to and fro which occurs at top dead center. 

My local parts guy said to try it on the valve which is most in line with the lifters.  Which valve operates in a straightest line with the lifters?

What gets warn down, the lifter block or the tappet?

So did you just replace the blocks and lifters or just the blocks?

I too am having this problem.

Frank

Thanks, Mike

dr evo1

turn the lifter block so the bolt hole is facing out install the block then turn the block so the bolt hole lines up.