April 28, 2024, 10:20:14 AM

News:

3.37 GEARING PART NUMBERS

Started by BONERACIN, November 08, 2008, 10:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BONERACIN

Does anyone know the part#'s for the clutch basket and comp sprocket to convert my 04 FXDWG to 3.37 gearing?
Boneracin
"Uncle Sam made me cut off my mullet"

igofar

Clutch Basket PN: 37846-99A List: $320.00
Compensating Sprocket PN: 40269-85A List: $63.50
Primary Cover Gasket PN: 60539-94B List: $30.50
SE Clutch Spring PN: 37951-98 List: $24.95
Primary Chain PN: 40037-79A Around $60 MSRP
Primary Chain tensioner PN: 40063-05 $100

Prices may not be correct as this is old information.
This information is second hand to me so best to verify.

Brad

BONERACIN

Do you have to replace the chain, and the adjuster? I am not sure how true it is but i heard that you can just replace the basket and sprocket. Thanks for the input.
Boneracin

Arrowsmit

Quotei heard that you can just replace the basket and sprocket

true

VicW.

BONERACIN

Thanks  for the info Arrow. Just replacing the sproket and basket will save me some money. Does anyone have any experience changing the gearing on 5 speed Dynas?
Boneracin

Tattoo

I have done many, get a shop manual and just take your time.
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

maicoman

Hey boneracing. I to was going to regear my primary. The cost factor slowed me down untill I found a screamin eagle primary comp. gear & chain set on ebay.The comp gear is 21 tooth & you use your stock clutch basket. $100. & change. you cant go wrong.

Tattoo

that set up tends to be a little to low for some guys.

MontePopham

I changed out my comp sprocket and chain. 2004 softail springer. 80mph = 4,000 rpm. About 500rpm more than stock.

BONERACIN

Maicoman i heard that if you just change the comp sprocket that it tends to break the tensioner. Is that true? Because that seems like alot cheaper to receive the same end result.
Boneracin

Tattoo

The 3.37 gear ratio in my experiences is the way to go.

maicoman

Thats the first i've heard about breaking the tensioner.While the gearing might be a little high with the 21 tooth & stock basket,how can you go wrong for the money? The SE kit is allways on ebay. Most of my riding is secondary roads. I do everything I can to stay off the highway.The few hundred I saved I will put towards a 6 speed trany in the future. Good riding,tom

BONERACIN

Thanks for the advice. I think that i am going to sprocket and chain route. This should make up for my week low end. I am running a stock 88 with the tw37g cams. I recieved some bad advice on what cam to get and after i had already dropped the money for it i had to put it in. Hopfully the lower gearing will pacify me until i can get the money saved to do the topend. Maybe Obama will drop some more money on his military members, Daddy needs some go-fast parts.
Boneracin

BONERACIN

Can i buy just the clutch basket and sprocket and reuse my old chain and tensioner?
Boneracin

Mike52

November 10, 2008, 10:18:53 AM #14 Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:24:01 AM by Mike52
Quote from: BONERACIN on November 10, 2008, 09:26:37 AM
Can i buy just the clutch basket and sprocket and reuse my old chain and tensioner?

If you are referring to the 3.37 parts, the answer is yes, it's a direct bolt-in swap. I would get the parts from Zanotti's or Jenni, don't forget to get the gaskets while you're ordering, won't want to forget these and pay $30 + at the local dealer for the outer primary cover gasket.

I'm almost positive the, Compensating Sprocket PN: 40269-85A List: $63.50, price has jumped drastically, I believe it retails for $135 now. It's $108 from Jenni, $102 from Zanotti's. I think I have a new in the package sprocket, if interested, I'll check.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

steelknee57

I bought my 2004 Roadking used. The previous owner had installed 37B cams in the stock 88" with Rineharts and a DFO. He also put in a SE 6 speed trans.

The bike could not pull in 6th gear below 80 mph. I went ahead and did the 3:37 gearing and it was a big help. I could use 5th upto around 65 and then use 6th to cruise at 70-75 mph. Best mod I ever did.

BONERACIN

Got parts on the way. Hopefully it will be fun, :teeth: if not it is just a few hours to but it back stock. 
Boneracin

Ultrashovel

I changed the motor sprocket and clutch basket on my 2004 Ultra about a year ago. I prefer the 3.37:1 gearing for everything since the bike was over heared even for solo work with an 88" engine. The 3.37:1 is absolutely perfect for my sidecar, too. It's the way to go.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the new clutch basket came with a new clutch bearing already installed at no extra charge.

i got my parts from Zanotti's. Their prices and service are number one.  :up:

nhrafan

Can the 3.37 Primary be done on the 2007 baggers? all I have seen has been 06 and earlier.

ClassicRider2002

BONERACIN~~~

Here is a "LINK" which will take you to probably as much information as you really will want to know about doing a 3.37 final gearing to one's bike, SIMPLY, CLICK & VIEW:

3.37 FINAL GEARING MODIFICATION THREAD INDEX FOR TWIN CAMS 1999-2006

Regardless of the "model" of one's bike the information contained within the THREAD INDEX will be appropriate for basically any model from 1999-2006 TWIN CAM's.  The procedure for modifiying one's bike is basically the same.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2