May 06, 2024, 12:37:56 AM

News:

Ultra--CB

Started by deltafarmer, March 16, 2009, 05:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deltafarmer

What kind of range are you guys getting ? I can only get about 1/2 mile,  thanks

Coyote

I can get 2-4 miles out of mine. Depends on terrain. But I did take the time to tune it properly. They do not come tuned from the factory (or dealer).

deltafarmer

This is my first time using a CB.  How do you "tune" a CB ?  Thanks!!

harleyjt

Quote from: deltafarmer on March 16, 2009, 06:19:14 PM
This is my first time using a CB.  How do you "tune" a CB ?  Thanks!!

You set the antenna length by using a SWR (standing wave ratio) meter to achieve as close to 1 to 1 as possible.  Personally, I can't get much closer than about 1.5 which is acceptable.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

truck

Just like you, about 1/2mile, which is enough for group rides.
In the old days, in the 18 wheeler, I could talk a hundred miles, with a little heat.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

adayrider

Quote from: trück on March 16, 2009, 07:35:42 PM
In the old days, in the 18 wheeler, I could talk a hundred miles, with a little heat.

You must of been using that heat for smoke and sending smoke signals.  :hyst:   You can't do no 100 miles on a mobile unit. I suppose you could do it on a base if you got the antenna high enough with nothing between you. Half a mile isn't very far. Their is 2 sides to this, the output and input. If you have a good proper tuned antenna on the input side (recieve) which I haven't seen on a Harley, is all you can do. And on the output (transmit) It takes a proper antenna and power. Which I believe is only 3 watts now, use to be 7 years ago. Again I doubt Harley has much at all on either. Like Coyote says it depends on terrain, You can't drill a radio wave through a mountain but if you are out in the open flats 2-4 miles would be good for a Harley. But that depends on who you are talking with. If you have your cb set up proper but the person you are trying to talk to doesn't then it won't work. With a little tuning you should be able to do a mile easy with another properly tune radio anywhere. speacially if you get on a channel no one else is using.

truck

Quote from: adayrider on March 17, 2009, 03:47:10 AM
Quote from: trück on March 16, 2009, 07:35:42 PM

You must of been using that heat for smoke and sending smoke signals.  :hyst:   You can't do no 100 miles on a mobile unit. I suppose you could do it on a base if you got the antenna high enough with nothing between you. Half a mile isn't very far. Their is 2 sides to this, the output and input. If you have a good proper tuned antenna on the input side (recieve) which I haven't seen on a Harley, is all you can do. And on the output (transmit) It takes a proper antenna and power. Which I believe is only 3 watts now, use to be 7 years ago. Again I doubt Harley has much at all on either. Like Coyote says it depends on terrain, You can't drill a radio wave through a mountain but if you are out in the open flats 2-4 miles would be good for a Harley. But that depends on who you are talking with. If you have your cb set up proper but the person you are trying to talk to doesn't then it won't work. With a little tuning you should be able to do a mile easy with another properly tune radio anywhere. speacially if you get on a channel no one else is using.

250 watts gives a lot range. :wink:
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

adayrider

I have a buddy with a Texas star (i think that is who makes it) Sweet 16 HD (1600 watts) with a 100 watt preamp. With high output alternator that is like 250 amp output and runs 6 batteries insted of 4. He's got the best or is it the most $ antenna he can buy. He can only do about 25 -30 miles with it in the right spot. Now that is in PA where nothing is flat. Maybe he can get 100 miles out west where it is flat but I doubt it.

I'm not attacking anyone here, just funning with ya, but this my BIG rigging story and I'm sticking to.  :hyst:
All the truth to. Most of it anyhow. :wink:

You can tell your trucker story ant way you like BUT it must start with "your not going to believe this "Potty mouth" but": :pop:

Coyote

Quote from: adayrider on March 17, 2009, 09:03:34 AM
I have a buddy with a Texas star (i think that is who makes it) Sweet 16 HD (1600 watts) with a 100 watt preamp. With high output alternator that is like 250 amp output and runs 6 batteries insted of 4. He's got the best or is it the most $ antenna he can buy. He can only do about 25 -30 miles with it in the right spot. Now that is in PA where nothing is flat. Maybe he can get 100 miles out west where it is flat but I doubt it.

I'm not attacking anyone here, just funning with ya, but this my BIG rigging story and I'm sticking to.  :hyst:
All the truth to. Most of it anyhow. :wink:

You can tell your trucker story ant way you like BUT it must start with "your not going to believe this "Potty mouth" but": :pop:

Many people talk around the world on 10 meters. Propagation on this band varies but you can easily talk hundreds of miles. And lots do it mobile as well.
More info can be found here  http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_meters

adayrider

CB (Citizen Band) is not 10 meter, it is 11 meter. 10 meter requires a licence. They might have change that a few years ago though. Yep if you go 10 meter you can talk a long way.

Coyote

Quote from: adayrider on March 17, 2009, 10:45:41 AM
CB (Citizen Band) is not 10 meter, it is 11 meter. 10 meter requires a licence. They might have change that a few years ago though. Yep if you go 10 meter you can talk a long way.

The prorogation characteristics of 27MHz and 28MHz are essentially the same. Both can be used for long distance communications.

adayrider

Quote from: Coyote on March 17, 2009, 11:15:12 AM
Quote from: adayrider on March 17, 2009, 10:45:41 AM

The prorogation characteristics of 27MHz and 28MHz are essentially the same. Both can be used for long distance communications.

Thats right they are the same prorogation characteristics. And as far as using them for long distance communications, well that would all depend on what you consider long distance. Hundred of miles on a mobile CB (27mhz), only if you are getting a skip. And you can not control skip. Says on Wiki has something to do with sun and such. Just not going to happen with a mobile radio. You can't make enough power and you can't get your antenna high enough.

Paniolo

Are the CB bands the same as the FRS hand held famiy walkie talkies?
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Coyote

Quote from: Paniolo on March 17, 2009, 04:21:15 PM
Are the CB bands the same as the FRS hand held famiy walkie talkies?

No, the FRS band is up in the 462/467 MHz range and used to be know as the Class A CB band. It was (and still is) a licensed band for GMRS but its use dropped off with all the low cost cell phone options. The FCC created the FRS usage by using the splinter frequencies and restricting the transmit power. Those FRS devices do not need a license.

dbenoit3

Deltafarmer.  If your only getting 1/2 mile you either have the wrong antenna or it is way off on the SWR. Any cheap out of the box radio will give you 2 to 5 miles as long as the antenna is matched. Like Harleyjt said you'll need an SWR meter to match the antenna. 1 to 1 up to 2 to 1 you'll be fine. 3 to 1 or more and you'll burn out the finals.  You also might try the shorty antennas. There not tuneable but should get you pretty close to the correct match.  Been driving trucks for 25 years and tried just about every trick in the book to get more range. You'll find that with all the BS that goes  on CB's you will just turn it off most of the time.

dbenoit3

Hey Truck.  If you think 250 Watts gives you range. You need to try 600. now that bad boy will blow some smoke.  lol

deltafarmer

Is cutting to proper length the only way to tune properly?  Thanks.

harleyjt

Quote from: deltafarmer on March 17, 2009, 06:37:25 PM
Is cutting to proper length the only way to tune properly?  Thanks.

You may not need to do any cutting.  There is some adjustment up and down  at the set screw.  Sometimes you do need to cut a little off, but usually only a small amount if at all.  Sometimes you need to raise it in the mount.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

slo-poke 03

Can't you tune it with the tuning coil inside the tour pack? It looks like a bare wire inside a coil of wire, seems like you could cut the bare piece inside the coil. I will add the disclaimer that I don't know JS but why else would it be called a tuning coil?

Coyote

You will need to cut the antenna. For my 07 ultra, I had to remove about 2". They make it on the long side as it's hard to add some back. I got mine down to 1.5:1 on the band edges and 1.2:1 in the center. Later, I bought the JM shorties. Unfortunately, you can't tune those. I had to exchange several with them before getting one that was good. BTW, my bike stock was way over 3:1.