May 05, 2024, 07:22:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bike lifts

Started by streetgliding, March 16, 2009, 06:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

streetgliding

Howdy,
New to this posting thing so bear with me.
Has anybody got suggestions as to which bike lift to get for the home body that wants to restore an old shovel FL? Air over hydraulic-- Inexpensive is good  Thanks

road-dawgs1

'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

willymax4

harbor freight's got them from $299.99 to $699.99
RIDE LIKE HELL AND YOU'LL PROBABLY WIND UP THERE

PoorUB

Check out Directlift.com. I bought one of there lifts, and other than it is a heavy sucker, I am satisfied.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Redrubicon2004

I have been looking at these.  Not sure how well they are made but the price seems pretty good!  I am currently using a Handy and its really nice!

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-lifts.htm

truck

This is pretty much a Harbor Freight lift like what I have, but mine isn't air powered.
http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-table-lift.htm
Nothing wrong with a Handy.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

dablaze

I got my Handy when a dealorship upgraded. They explained to me that an employee made a claim about his back and they ended up having to get custom Handys that all lifted 6" higher. I would ask around the dealerships and shops.

Of course used has its issues, I need to buy a new Pnuematic pedal for mine...anyone got one for sale?

I do like the Handy lift though.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

rabbit

Really like the Handy lifts, we have two. But for long term projects we made a table with eye bolts, (4) swivel locking wheels. That way the lifts aren't occupied and you can roll the project bike in and out of the way.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Dalton GA

kickstart

Quote from: rabbit on March 17, 2009, 04:28:40 AM
Really like the Handy lifts, we have two. But for long term projects we made a table with eye bolts, (4) swivel locking wheels. That way the lifts aren't occupied and you can roll the project bike in and out of the way.
Years ago I used wood table/benchs to rebuild projects, just have a ramp to unload when done, real easy.
I used small hydraulic lift on that table also.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93033
or
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94813
They can be bought for as low as $59-79 @ Sears. Any lift you buy - make sure the bolts are grade 8- change them cheapo's out ASAP.
I have a direct lift I bought several years ago and had no complaints. They are good for everyday on and off use.
http://www.directlift.com/procyclexltdt.asp
several different models to choose from and half the cost of a Handy.
Space and $$$ it's your choice
It's not about gun control.
It's about CONTROL.

04fatty

He said inexpensive is good. Unless you find one used, forget the Handy then. It's an excellent lift but every time I look at mine I think I ought to be able to ride it for what I paid for it(haha). A friend has a Direct lift and it's a very solid lift for the money.

rabbit

[/quote]
Years ago I used wood table/benchs to rebuild projects, just have a ramp to unload when done, real easy.
I used small hydraulic lift on that table also.

We made our table the same height as Handy lift when in up position, that way no ramp needed.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Dalton GA

ChopperBob66

Bought the Pro-Cycle lift from DirectLift a few years ago. Works great. It's heavy, but you also get a little two wheeled dolly thing, to help you move it around. When I bought mine they had a special promotion, where they would give you (free of charge) a heavy duty scissors jack called a "black jack", for getting the wheel up. Putting the black-jack under the frame also helps stabilize the bike while its on the lift. And the people at direct lift are great. I accidently plugged in the air hose once with foot pedal fully in the lift position. The lift "flew up", and overpressurized the air cylider, and blew out the O-ring seal on the shaft. I called Direct Lift, and a guy patiently "walked" me thru reinstalling it over the phone. If you have a long term project, the lift is more than worth it. Especially for an old guy like me, who can't stay hunched over working on a bike on the ground for very long. I have since made a few bucks with the lift, working on other bikes.
Bob

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
MMC(SS) USN ret.
Phoenix, Az

kickstart

Quote from: ChopperBob66 on March 17, 2009, 10:25:16 AM
Bought the Pro-Cycle lift from DirectLift a few years ago. ................ If you have a long term project, the lift is more than worth it. Especially for an old guy like me, who can't stay hunched over working on a bike on the ground for very long. I have since made a few bucks with the lift, working on other bikes.
Bob

Ditto Bob , I bought the extra side extensions with mine. WHen the SO saw it the lawnmower was on the lift.
She "when did you get that ?"
Me - I've had it, it's to fix the mower.
She - "That's a bike lift !!!!"
Me - Jeez , I never thought of that, Yeah it would work for the bike

..... and that's when the fight started
It's not about gun control.
It's about CONTROL.

willymax4

chopperbob66
the cook's been raggin on me about how much i've been spending on my shop and tools.
i showed her your pics and guess what, she ain't raggin no more. thanx.

ChopperBob66

Actually Willie, I haven't spent as much as you would think. And alot of it is spread over time.
The top box on the left, I bought in 1972 at Sears when I was stationed in Idaho Falls in the Navy. And still have 90% of the tools I bought with it.
The roll away box is about 20 yrs old.
The box on the floor is full of metric tools only, from when I was a Jet Ski mechanic about 18 yrs ago.
The box in the middle I got for "free", full of tools, off of one of the submarines I was stationed on in the Navy, and being decommissioned. Actually got all kinds of goodies then. Including the rack of small drawers on the left full of fittings, nuts, and bolts.
The flourescent lights I bought from a store being demolished for $3 each.
I painted the floor myself. Just about killed my knees.
My luckiest find though was the rack of drawers on the right. When I was building my bike, I went looking for chrome nuts and bolts. I walked into an EasyRider store that use to build bikes and was going to close the shop in the back. I asked about nuts/bolts, and he took me into the back and showed them to me. He said make me an offer on both sets of drawers. They are FULL of Gardner-Westcott, grade 8, chrome nuts and bolts of every kind. Fine thread, coarse thread, button head, allen head, hex head, etc.,etc.,etc.  Got all of them for $300. I started to total them up one day, as each little section of the each drawer shows the price of each nut/bolt. I quit after totalling up one set of drawers, and there was about $1700 worth. Hadn't even started the second set of drawers. That was being at the right place at the right time.
I always keep my eyes open for shops going out of business, and even department stores. Great place to get shelving. Got some nice shelves/racks when Mervyns went out of business. You would be amazed at what you can find really cheap.
Bob

MMC(SS) USN ret.
Phoenix, Az

PoorUB

Quote from: kickstart on March 17, 2009, 10:52:22 AM
Ditto Bob , I bought the extra side extensions with mine. WHen the SO saw it the lawnmower was on the lift.
She "when did you get that ?"
Me - I've had it, it's to fix the mower.
She - "That's a bike lift !!!!"
Me - Jeez , I never thought of that, Yeah it would work for the bike

..... and that's when the fight started

When I bought the Direct Lift I never cleared it with the wife first, she probably would not have said anything if I told her about it first, but she was not a happy camper when she saw the bill for it. A couch, and three living room chairs later I think she has forgiven me!!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

L-

A table lift is the only way to go in my opinion.  I use a Handy.  Been reliable for years.  It is an older model with out the drop outs for tire installation but I have K&L jacks for that task.  There are cheaper imitations but I am a stickler on the Handy.  I never needed the extra sides as I have roll tables for tools.

L-

JohnnyM

I bought my Handy life from an indy going out of business.  It was old when I got it 10 years ago but still works perfectly. My recommendation goes to Handy.

mokeypoole

I built my own for less than 100 bucks.  The chock at the front is from Harbor freight and it was the most expensive single item.  SInce it is in three pcs I can remove teh rear and change rear tire, remove the middle and do oil changes or remove the front and change front tire.  I use a scissor jack from the junk yard ($5) with a 1 inch dia pipe welded to the top to lift the bike up to pull either the front or rear section out.  Middle slides out easy.  Make sure you attatch the three pcs when loading the bike on it or they will slide apart.

x52gnr

Quote from: rabbit on March 17, 2009, 04:28:40 AM

Great idea>>>> :up:
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

Deye76

Quote from: ChopperBob66 on March 18, 2009, 09:53:13 AM
Actually Willie, I haven't spent as much as you would think. And alot of it is spread over time.
The top box on the left, I bought in 1972 at Sears when I was stationed in Idaho Falls in the Navy. And still have 90% of the tools I bought with it.
The roll away box is about 20 yrs old.
The box on the floor is full of metric tools only, from when I was a Jet Ski mechanic about 18 yrs ago.
The box in the middle I got for "free", full of tools, off of one of the submarines I was stationed on in the Navy, and being decommissioned. Actually got all kinds of goodies then. Including the rack of small drawers on the left full of fittings, nuts, and bolts.
The flourescent lights I bought from a store being demolished for $3 each.
I painted the floor myself. Just about killed my knees.
My luckiest find though was the rack of drawers on the right. When I was building my bike, I went looking for chrome nuts and bolts. I walked into an EasyRider store that use to build bikes and was going to close the shop in the back. I asked about nuts/bolts, and he took me into the back and showed them to me. He said make me an offer on both sets of drawers. They are FULL of Gardner-Westcott, grade 8, chrome nuts and bolts of every kind. Fine thread, coarse thread, button head, allen head, hex head, etc.,etc.,etc.  Got all of them for $300. I started to total them up one day, as each little section of the each drawer shows the price of each nut/bolt. I quit after totalling up one set of drawers, and there was about $1700 worth. Hadn't even started the second set of drawers. That was being at the right place at the right time.
I always keep my eyes open for shops going out of business, and even department stores. Great place to get shelving. Got some nice shelves/racks when Mervyns went out of business. You would be amazed at what you can find really cheap.
Bob

Did you make the work bench? Love it. :up:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

DarrellV

I looked around allot when I was ready to buy a lift. I bought the TCML from www.completehydraulic.com it came with the jack as well which is great. I changed my foot pedal to hand controlls that I mounted onto the table. I have better controll plus easy to move the lift around the garage this way. The people are great to work with as well.

Sonny S.

Quote from: DarrellV on March 20, 2009, 06:29:33 AM
I looked around allot when I was ready to buy a lift. I bought the TCML from www.completehydraulic.com it came with the jack as well which is great. I changed my foot pedal to hand controlls that I mounted onto the table. I have better controll plus easy to move the lift around the garage this way. The people are great to work with as well.

Complete Hydraulic works for me  :up:
I will say that if ya got the $$$, buy the Handy. It's Made in USA, and that's reason enough.

dave629

I got to go with the Made in USA thing, too. The HD was made (mostly) in America and I don't use Harbor Freight chink-made tools to wrench it. I hate pressing 1 for English. Sorry for the rant, but I'm not sorry for my choices :duel:.
Dave

hot rod 98

I got my complete hydraulic lift two years ago, works flawlessly. 1500 lb lift, 110" long table, drop out rear, table extension for choppers, and  a real nice service jack. I also purchased the side extentions to make it 48" wide. Fits snowmobiles, lawn mowers, atv's, etc. The whole deal was shipped to my door for just less than 800.00.

ChopperBob66

Yes Deye, I made the benches. Bought some paint and painted all the benches to match the cabinets. (kind of "anal" about how my garage looks and functions.) :hyst:   Firm believer in keeping garage neat and clean; easier to find what you are looking for and makes for better working conditions. Still looking around for a small refrigerator, so I don't have to keep going in the house for beer.  :beer: Although the wife is pretty good about being my "beer wench". :soda:
Bob
MMC(SS) USN ret.
Phoenix, Az

ChopperBob66

Mokeypoole; that is one of the best innovations I've ever seen. Love it.
Bob
MMC(SS) USN ret.
Phoenix, Az

Deye76

Quote from: ChopperBob66 on March 20, 2009, 12:34:28 PM
Yes Deye, I made the benches. Bought some paint and painted all the benches to match the cabinets. (kind of "anal" about how my garage looks and functions.) :hyst:   Firm believer in keeping garage neat and clean; easier to find what you are looking for and makes for better working conditions. Still looking around for a small refrigerator, so I don't have to keep going in the house for beer.  :beer: Although the wife is pretty good about being my "beer wench". :soda:
Bob

My garage is not nearly as nice as yours. I do have a small fridge, well stocked.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

willymax4

saw this tool box at lowes the other day, it's got an onboard pioneer stereo and a built in fridge in the lower left corner,
i want one bad.

Reddog74usa

A friend of mine bought one from Harbor frieght and took it right back as he did not like how it moved around with his FLHS on it. he said it was to flimsey. I have a Handy lift. It is a quality piece that will last and you can always get parts if you ever did need em. The Handy is a bit more but it's worth it.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Ultrashovel

Quote from: Reddog74usa on March 20, 2009, 03:12:06 PM
A friend of mine bought one from Harbor frieght and took it right back as he did not like how it moved around with his FLHS on it. he said it was to flimsey. I have a Handy lift. It is a quality piece that will last and you can always get parts if you ever did need em. The Handy is a bit more but it's worth it.

You said it! I love my Handy lift. I feel good that it was built with American labor in America. They're the original and the real thing!

northbrun

I messed up and bought one from Harbor Freight.. the one built like the handy lift.. it works well, is sturdy, But the foot valve keeps chewing up the o-rings and spitting air.. Think im gonna find a hand valve and either attach it to the lift, or the colume in the garage..