May 05, 2024, 11:10:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Pingel Petcock Valve

Started by 04fatty, March 17, 2009, 06:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

04fatty

What are the advantages to a Pingel over stock? Are they worth the money? I guess they've got different outlets at 90 and 180 degrees. The stocker is at a 90 so that'd be the one to get for a twincam huh. A friend has an Ironhorse and his 111" rattles his open and closed all the time. Is that common? Any input appreciated.

Ultrashovel

I presume that your bike is carbureted since a Pingel petcock is unnecessary and won't fit on an EFI bike. On a carbureted bike, on the plus side, they offer greater fuel flow. On the negative side, if you have a leaky carburetor float valve and you inadvertantly forget to shut the petcock  off, it can fill your engine with fuel.

I had one on my now former Shovelhead and they work very well. They are far superior to the stock petcock.

04fatty

Mine is carbed. I'm thinking of a new paintjob soon and just wondered if I should throw one in. Do the stock ever develop problems?

CraigArizona85248

I have a pingle on both my bikes.  I think there are two "advantages" that mattered to me.

1) It's a manual petcock.  No vacuum required to turn on the petcock.
2) I like the looks.

You don't need more fuel flow so I don't see that as an advantage.  The stock petcock will provide all the flow you need.  I've never had a problem with my pingle petcock changing position on it's own (or from vibration).  As US pointed out, you need to make sure you get in the habit of shutting off the petcock when you park.  If not, you could end up with an empty gas tank and a crank case flooded with gas.

Do stock petcocks ever develop problems?  Sure they do.  Most common is a failure of the vacuum diaphram in the stock unit.  This leads to a situation where you could have a tank full of gas but no way to get it to your carburetor.  But I've also seen Pingle petcocks leak.  So nothing is garaunteed.

-Craig

Ultrashovel

March 17, 2009, 07:53:58 AM #4 Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 08:50:40 AM by Ultrashovel
As Craig says, the Pingels can leak but this is only after long usage. A friend had one that leaked and he sent it to them for repair and they fixed it for no charge. They are a good company.

Sonny S.

I've got Pingle's on both my bikes. 1 petcock is 19 years old, and never been rebuilt, and doesn't leak....... worth the money....you betcha  :up:

I have had a cylinder fill with gas when the carb needle stuck, and I didn't turn the gas off..... no big deal though,and it broke me of a bad habit...lol

04fatty

I always shut the stocker off when I stop so no big deal there. Where's a good place to buy one and I guess the 90 degree exit? Anyone got a good used one laying around they'd want to sell?

snoman

Do the stock ever develop problems?

Yes, My '02 carbed classic shut down on me last summer . Short story is  " I moved the spring to the other side of diaphram in the factory vacumn operated shut-off valve " . No problems since . Just have to make sure you close valve when shutting down .
   sno

Princess Butt

I've had a Pingel on my '97 Road King for about 8 years now. It's beautiful, works flawlessly.

It's incredibly smooth operating. The only thing I would like better is if it has detent stops on it.

Does anyone know if the new ones have detents?

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

texaskatfish

After an expensive ride for Gracie ('01 FLHR) on a tow truck (I had no clue about the stock vacuum flow set up - but I sure learned!) we put a pingle on and forgottabouddit.

High quality and long service life (so far)
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

EagleFTE

I have a Pingle on an EVO.  I have to keep it shut off when not in use.  Some times even stopping to pump gas with it on will cause flooding/hard starts.  And my Pingel leaks sometimes when sitting for a while (weeks).  Sometimes it doesn't.  I've just never taken the time to replace it.

seattledyna

I put Pingle valves on all my carb bikes, I like the smooth operation and the lever is easy to use with heavy gloves, have never had an issue with one in the many years i have been using them, sure they are a bit spendy but they look and operate great!

L-

Been following the Pingel stories for a while now.  My '01 is still intact and working well but I realize that after 80,000 miles it can go. So I am thinking of replacing with simple item, w/o a rubber diaphragm in it.  I really like the looks of the Pingel but I wish they had detents.  Are there any other petcocks of their equal or better? 

L-

Ultrashovel

March 17, 2009, 10:12:45 AM #13 Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 01:04:20 PM by Ultrashovel
I've never seen any better than Pingel. As far as detents, I never needed one in 15 years of use. The only thing you would need to find would be reserve which is the middle position. That's easy to find when you run out of fuel. Just move to the lever to the middle and the engine will start firing again. It can be done on the fly.  No to worry. 

Blazing Saddles

I've had a Pingle on my '92 FXSTC for at least 15 years and it has performed perfectly.  I habitually shut off the petcock every time I shut down the bike so no worries there.  Not sure about the exact reserve limit with the Pingle but I just watch the trip mileage and always switch to reserve before the bike cuts out on the normal run position.

Blazin'

Sonny S.

Quote from: EagleFTE on March 17, 2009, 09:36:11 AM
I have a Pingle on an EVO.  I have to keep it shut off when not in use.  Some times even stopping to pump gas with it on will cause flooding/hard starts.  And my Pingel leaks sometimes when sitting for a while (weeks).  Sometimes it doesn't.  I've just never taken the time to replace it.

You've got needle & seat problems or a float way outta adjustment

Jeffd

when I ask this same question a year or two ago I was told that Golan was superior to pingel.

Ultrashovel

Quote from: Jeffd on March 17, 2009, 01:57:55 PM
when I ask this same question a year or two ago I was told that Golan was superior to pingel.

Never heard of Golan. Never saw one either.

jsachs1

Quote from: Jeffd on March 17, 2009, 01:57:55 PM

Golan,WAY BETTER............................. :up: :up: :up: has detents ,and outlasts Pingel by a long shot.
John

L-

John, yeah, that is the one,  I remember now. Thanks. 

L-

CraigArizona85248

March 17, 2009, 03:13:04 PM #20 Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:15:31 PM by CraigArizona85248
I've never missed having detents.  And you'll have to explain how Golan outlasts Pingel.  I have a Pingel that is 10 years old and another that is 6 years old and neither has shown any sort of trouble.  How does Golan outlast Pingel?

-Craig

Mike52

Quote from: 04fatty on March 17, 2009, 08:53:51 AMAnyone got a good used one laying around they'd want to sell?

I have a Pingel and a Golan that I will sell.  The Golan is new, the Pingel was used for 1 week.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

Old Crow

Quote from: BnEUltraClassic on March 17, 2009, 09:09:22 AM
I've had a Pingel on my '97 Road King for about 8 years now. It's beautiful, works flawlessly.

It's incredibly smooth operating. The only thing I would like better is if it has detent stops on it.

Does anyone know if the new ones have detents?

BnEUC

I've got the Pingle "Guzzler" on mine.  Positive detents in on and off positions, but no reserve.
I had a bit of a fuel flow problem with the stroker a while back and went slightly overboard trying to solve it. :embarrassed:
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

ramcr913

Another thumbs up on the Golan.
I replaced the stock one with a CCI cheapo, to get away from the vacuum operation. But the CCI cheapo didn't shut the gas off all the way- in the off position it continued to drip. Anyway, I replaced it with a Golan. Nice detents, good looking.

Ed Y

I replaced the stock vacuum petcock on my 99 FLHT with a mid 90's HD sportster petcock. It's been working fine for 115,000 miles.