May 03, 2024, 10:58:13 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fuel Gauge issue

Started by Muscled_up, November 14, 2014, 07:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muscled_up

I have a 12/2007 night train FXSTB and recently took the original fuel caps/gauge off and replaced with RSD tach caps.

I went with the non LED dummy cap as i have a fuel gauge in dash but since unplugging originl gauge my dash gauge no longer  works and shows fuel light on.

Does anyone know what i can do to fix this?
If i put the LED RSD tech cap will that complete circuit and make gauge work again

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Soft 02

You need a resistor wired into the plug. That all I remember. I will be doing the same thing down the road. I got the tack/speedo that has a digital fuel gauge in it.
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Muscled_up

Thanks for that i guess you have similar gauge as im using in pic

Do you know where i can get a resistor or who sells them.
Im also based in OZ so no local electrical store would work for me

Cheers

Soft 02

You will probably get more info as people chime in. Im not ready to do mine so I havnt done the research yet. The resistor tricks the fuel light into thinkin you have fuel in the tank.
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

FSG

I believe the Dash Gauge and the Cap Gauge are wired in parallel, I'll take a look.

Soft 02

That's the dash I have and you still need the fuel cap gauge for it to work. I think the OP is using the stock speedo and wants to ditch the gauge all together and not have a low fuel light on the dash.
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

FSG

I think the OP wants the Dash Gauge to work and in doing so the low fuel light will go out.

M/Up temporarily reconnect the orig cap gauge to the plug under the tank, what then does the Dash Gauge and Low Light do?

Soft 02

Did that on mine an fuel light comes on immediately.
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

FSG

Soft 02

So what value resistor will shut the fuel light off if put in parallel replacing the gauge?
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

FSG

there's more to it than meets the eye

Muscled_up

Quote from: FSG on November 14, 2014, 07:37:03 PM
I think the OP wants the Dash Gauge to work and in doing so the low fuel light will go out.

M/Up temporarily reconnect the orig cap gauge to the plug under the tank, what then does the Dash Gauge and Low Light do?

Yes FSG that is correct i have a LCD in the base of the speedo and didnt expect it to stop working
i have not tried plugging in the original ill need to do it

Soft 02

Mine said no gear indicator but that function works fine. Only thing that doesn't work is the range till empty. I also find the digital fuel indicator seems more accurate than the analog cap one. For this reason I will ditch the factory one someday.
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Soft 02

I also have considered bagging up the internals of the stock gauge and stuffing it under the tank because I have a tank lift.
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Muscled_up

I read somewhere someone has done that but it sounds dodgy

Surely they can make a plug that fits the original that fixes the issue

Soft 02

66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

FSG

OK what actual revision of COMBINATION SPEEDOMETER/TACHOMETER GAUGE  do you guys have?

As some functionality has been updated.

FSG

Soft 02

I don't know. Next time I have the dash off I'll take a pic for future reference. According to the paperwork I had the gear indicator wasn't supposed to work. If there is a way to eliminate the dial fuel gauge many would be interested. Thanks for the info regardless FSG.
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Muscled_up

I wouldnt have a clue FSG i just plugged original back in and light goes out and LCD dash fuel guage works but unlug and it goes out again

Muscled_up

Is it possible to change the backlight colour on these speedo i got mine on bike and have no instructions with it?

Soft 02

Yes but I'll have to find my box. Think its out in my shop. 600 color options. Pretty cool.
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

FSG

FSG

OK, the LCD dash fuel gauge is NOT going to work without the Tank Gauge or without it being fooled to think the tank gauge is still there because without the gauge there is no voltage divider to create the signal to the Speedo.

OK take a good Multimeter on Ohms x 1 (by 1) and measure the resistance between pins 1 and 2 of the actual tank fuel gauge. 

This is the value of resistor that will be required to install across pins 1 and 2 of the empty socket 117B after the removal of the tank gauge.