May 02, 2024, 12:25:16 PM

News:

Charlie Daniels Band at Chesters

Started by Blazing Saddles, March 17, 2009, 10:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazing Saddles

Been thinking that it might be fun to check out the Charlie Daniels Band at Chester's on Friday March 27 - pre AZ Bike Week.  Do you PHX guys think this would be good??? Too crowded to be any fun??? I've never been to the dealership let alone during Bike Week. $20.00 seems resonable - I've never seen him live.

Blazin'

They just added a lot of space that used to be an empty field to their facility.
The stage faces the open lot which they use for their riders edge training.
The stage is the back side for the new Indian show room.  Should be a great time
and plenty of room.
02 Heritage, 08 Ultra Classic, Mesa Arizona

iiggii

Go see Charlie !!!! period  :gob:.if ya like southern rock .the CDB ,do it and hes gettin old. iiggii

Scurvy

Blazin' - you making another road trip south this year?
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

xxxflhrci

Definitely see CDB.  Everybody should see Charlie do The Devil Went Down to Georgia live at least once.  I've seen him several times and always walked away with a smile.

I saw him last year with Shooter Jennings and .38 Special at Hard Rock Park in Myrtle during bike week.  The crowd wasn't bad.  We walked up and got seats about 20 feet from the stage.

Sc00ter

Never seen Charlie Daniels, but have seen 38 Special a few times...  Saw Trace Atkins and 38 Special... That was great!!

specialx1

it's only kinky the first time

Blazing Saddles

Hey Scurvy:  This is a fly down only - kinda a help my wife with her old folks trip.  Doesn't mean we're not going to get out and have some fun on our own though!!  Always been a big CDB fan and think this would be a fun evening.

Later on in the last week of May several of us are heading over to the Saskatchewan/Montana border and then riding the entire length of HWY # 191 down to Douglas, AZ then taking a different route through Grand Canyon, Zion etc. on the way back.  Several other riders from Calgary who have their bikes in PHX for the winter will be meeting us and riding back with us.  Hey, you're more than welcome to join us!!

Blazin'

Scurvy

Blazin' - what a great route! Best of Yellowstone and Utah... wife and I rode through southern Utah through Zion and up to the capital reef and loved it.

I am heading down to Phoenix, leaving Montana on the 11th of June. I have to wait until the daughter is out of school this year unless I leave the wife at home. Too bad, too because Memorial weekend is early this year and I wanted to leave on the 22nd of May. Enjoy CDB and I'll catch you on the highway one of these days.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

hogpipes1

seen him  in his prime at milw. h-d 85 yr reunion. he was good, only thing i see now is yrs later the same bands back in the day just don't sound the same . that whats time does to us all. but for $20 see him.

jumpinjack

Charlie is the MAN do not miss him. He still has it. :up: :up:

Blazing Saddles

Went to the CDB night at Chester's and it was good!!!  Charlie rocked and I especially liked his version of Johnny's Folsom Prison Blues.  Only bummer was that he quit at 9:30 WTF??? Would have been great to hear him play some more.  Also, is getting checked for ID standard in AZ??  I mean I'm in my 50's and got checked - no ID -  and you didn't get a wrist band that you needed to buy a drink.  Everyone got checked. Same thing happened going into the Rockabilly deal the week before.

BTW that was a rip off but the bands we heard were good.  Hardly any vendors and hardly any people. Talked to a few vendors who said it was really slow.

AZ was great and I missed the over 2 feet of snow that fell when I was away.

Blazin'

CraigArizona85248

Blazin,

Yeah... it's not uncommon for everyone to get carded at these events.  That way there is no question that everyone with a wrist band is over 21.  Sort of rediculous in the obvious cases like you and I, but it keeps them out of trouble.  They had to quit at 9:30pm because of all the houses right behind the dealership.  That little community has a lot of families with small kids.  They can't be rockin' all night and disturbing their peace and quiet (not everyone is into it).  That's the down side of holding events like that at a dealership.  They really aren't the best venue.

-Craig

texaskatfish

Yall don't get me wrong - we LOVE ole Charlie and I've seen him many many times.

One gripe (mine only) from more recent years..............he was getting kinda 'preachy' while on stage............has he toned that down lately?
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

Blazing Saddles

Katfish:  He played some of his great tunes but included a "preachy" song with a "preachy" intro - gotta say he kinda lost most of the crowd on that one after getting them thoroughly reved up with Folsom Prison Blues and Long Haired Country Boy - one of my personal favourites.  At one point he left the stage and the drummer went into a long, long drum solo that took up allot of time (hey - I'm a drummer).  That really cut into the time available for the full band given that they shut down early at 9:30 when the show was advertised to go to 10:00.  He also let one of his guitarists go on a personal song that was not CDB material.  All in all, he's pretty amazing at 72 years old.

Blazin'

iiggii

Ive met him 2 times -hes the man ,also has done a few preahy cds. he wrote a song rite after 9-11,and they  took it of the air pdq. Charlie for president . leave this long haired country boy alone !