May 05, 2024, 03:05:17 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

welding question

Started by scoopfraser, March 17, 2009, 11:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoopfraser

I've got a couple of shift levers that I want to weld together.  My stock lever seems to be solid steel and the other lever is a cast metal part (not cast Aluminum).  Can these be welded together or do they both need to be of the same metallic composition?

Thanks!

Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

motorplex88

Maybe. How's that for an answer :dgust:. Some parts are cast with alot of steel content and can be welded quite nicely. Other have alot of sand cast and don't do so well. Not knowing what you have and looking at it, it's difficult to say. It's possible if you've got some decent stuff to be just plain mig welded, nickled, or brazed. If it's a poor casting I would sh@tcan it cause a shifter breaking at the wrong moment sucks.

Ultrashovel

If both parts are ferrous in nature (steel based) you should be able to weld or braze them. If one is aluminum alloy-based, it won't work.

Coasty

Quote from: scoopfraser on March 17, 2009, 11:13:35 AM
I've got a couple of shift levers that I want to weld together.  My stock lever seems to be solid steel and the other lever is a cast metal part (not cast Aluminum).  Can these be welded together or do they both need to be of the same metallic composition?

Thanks!

Sean
----
Actually they can there is a meterial called a data coupling we use whel welding aluminium parts to a ships steel deck.  It wa aluminum with steel explosion welded together producing steel on one side and aluminium on the other.  Finding the stuff would be the trick. 

coasty
Coasty

scoopfraser

Thanks for the replies.  I tried a rare earth magnet on the cast part and there is a little magnetic pull but nothing like on the steel shift lever.  I would definitely prefer to have both levers steel for confidence in the welding.

Thanks!
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

Mtrman

If it is cast steel it is much harder than plate steel. Welding the two together may be a chore. If cast is heated continuously with a continuous weld....it may become very brittle.

But thats just my 2 cents!!

Cheers eh!! :beer:

Memnar

unless the shift levers are some rare ones, I would toss them and buy new replacements. welding them is probably going to be a bear....
Albuquerque, NM.