April 27, 2024, 07:18:14 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

883/1200 sporty

Started by 05RK1, March 17, 2009, 12:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05RK1

Found an 03 883 dealer converted to 1200 with 6800 mi for wifes 1st bike.  It's got all the stuff she would put on it and the price is just right.  Are there any concerns about this build?  Any advice?  I ride a 95" King 05

Panzer

If the dealer did the build, shouldn't be a problem if the dealer is known to be "trustworthy".
By all means, get a warranty "in writing".
Was always said, if the dealer did a good job, he shouldn't have a problem giving you a warranty.
Check it over from top to bottom & a few miles test ride wouldn't hurt
If so & the price is right, go for it.  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

14Frisco

There are a few different ways to do the conversion, so if you are concerned/curious about the conversion we need to know HOW it was done, i.e. what parts were involved.  In particular, what pistons and heads.  You may also want to ask if anything else was done during the conversion - some people change the cams, a fewer number of people change the sprocket(s).

In general, unless something really stupid was done, I think it will have plenty of power.  I have a 1993 883/1200 that I converted long time ago.  Next thing on my list - has been there a long time - is to upgrade the front brakes.

You may also want to ask your wife to be nice and not leave you and your FLHR too far behind, especially after traffic lights, on-ramps etc....

05RK1

Thanks guys for your responses.. I actually looked at two sporty's tonight and bought an 05 1200C with 1550 miles.  Everything is stock except for the windshield.  6000.00 from and older woman who quit riding because her husband had to give up riding his ultra due to health.  I feel like I found the perfect bike for the wife.

mayor

you did good, the '04 and up 1200's run real good from the factory.  1550 miles?, doesn't look like she had to give up too much riding.   :wink:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Hillside Motorcycle

Always a good runner done correctly.
Cannot tell you how many we have done.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Panzer

05RK1,
Thanks for the update.
Good choice, low mileage too. :up:...she's not even broken in.

Good luck with it and many happy smiles. :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.