HOW TO REPLACE BATTERY & NOT LOOSE CODES & SETTINGS ????

Started by PETE-NAM68, March 17, 2009, 12:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PETE-NAM68

Is there a way to replace the battery on a 05 FLHTCI without loosing the radio, alarm & other setting? I do remember somebody in the auto repair shops having something that would plug into the cigarette lighter to provide enough power so not to loose settings.
                                 Thanks, Pete 

truck

Not sure about the cigarette lighter on an '05, but on an '01 the cigarette lighter is dead with the key off.
So I'm thinking that if you turn the key on and then hook up the jumper to the cigarette lighter you'd be in good shape.
Did your battery crap out already?
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Ultrashovel

I wonder what codes you could lose when the battery is removed? I've had my battery out several times and only lost the radio settings. The security code is set into the TSSM so you sholdn't lose that.

As mentioned, if you really want to keep the radio settings, you can use a batery tender and connect to the battery cables or the chargig connector if you use one while the battery is out. If you turn the ignition on and do it through the cigar lighter port, I would think that the headlight would be turned on.

Panzer

I've had my battery diconnected while I hooked up my battery tender.
Never lost codes or the code to my alarm system.
I don't have a radio, so I can't tell you on that accessory, but all others stayed as was.
Hope that helps ya, mine is an 07 sporty, should stay the same for others.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

IBARider

I've got a 9 volt battery connector wired to a cig lighter plug.  never saw a need to do this on a bike, but that little 9 volt battery keeps radio and ecm settings alive. 

It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

IBARider

maybe if i show pictures.... wire these two together.  Radio Shack may even have one built for ya... I should have also stated that I use to keep automotive ecm's and radios alive...

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

chengdave2003

You can pick up the cig lighter/9 volt adapter at Walmart (in the battery end display) for about $5.00 (more or less).  It's where I got mine for working on cars....works like a charm....

Dave
http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/chengdave2003/Harley%20Davidson/

IBARider

Quote from: chengdave2003 on March 17, 2009, 05:59:36 PM
You can pick up the cig lighter/9 volt adapter at Walmart (in the battery end display) for about $5.00 (more or less).  It's where I got mine for working on cars....works like a charm....

Dave

Dang,  Another one of my drug induced ideas someone else marketed..

chengdave2003

Yeah....and at Walmart no less......

Quote from: IBARider on March 18, 2009, 07:55:08 AM
Quote from: chengdave2003 on March 17, 2009, 05:59:36 PM

Dave

Dang,  Another one of my drug induced ideas someone else marketed..

truck

Please reread replies #1 and #2 in regard to the 9 volt battery.
Maybe you could use the ACC position on the ignition switch?

chengdave2003

Exactly.  It's worth a try anyway.

Quote from: trück on March 18, 2009, 08:56:04 AM

IBARider

Quote from: chengdave2003 on March 18, 2009, 09:01:34 AM
Exactly.  It's worth a try anyway.

Quote from: trück on March 18, 2009, 08:56:04 AM

That's what we're sayin'

Coyote

If you don't have a diode between the 9V and the plug, I think something is going to smoke.  :smileo:

PETE-NAM68

Thanks for the replies gang. I believe that member (Ultrasound) gave me the best idea & safest using the battery tender. I will try hooking it up directly to the starter hot & to ground using the alligator clips it came with. The reason I think the Tender is the best choice is that it has built in overload & short protection. I will just have to be careful when disconnecting & reconnecting the positive on the battery.
                                                      Thanks Again, Pete   

northbrun

coyote; are you using the diod to prevent 12vdc from feeding back into te 9v battery and possible frying it?

Coyote

Quote from: northbrun on March 19, 2009, 08:04:28 AM
coyote; are you using the diod to prevent 12vdc from feeding back into te 9v battery and possible frying it?

Yup.

IBARider

March 19, 2009, 11:18:44 AM #17 Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 11:42:37 AM by IBARider
I'm no electric wiz, however...... Never done it on a bike, but many, many times in automotive, all makes and brands and never fried the home made 9v getup.  Even in some of your 12v systems, the alternator is putting out in excess of 15v.  some Mopar products it's 16v and it doesn't fry the 12v battery.  I'm sure that after a great deal of time on a 12v battery, the 9v may suffer, but in the amount of time to change your battery or even a couple hours... 

Heck, we used to jump 24v systems with welders and the batteries survived.  The last one of those i did had a computer in it and fried it!  So I do know you need to be aware of what you're messin with.  I guess I should have known that dirt equipment would start using computers eventually... that was in the late 80's 

The lil get up with 9v battery is just very easy and convenient.

I don't know if the premade ones at walmart or radio shack have diode in em, but my home made does not.  heck, nobody was making em when I made mine back in the 80's....

PETE-NAM68

For those interested the Battery Tender idea won't work. The Battery Tender will not put out any power without a specific voltage present. I guess I am back to the 9 volt battery idea & hope I don't fry anything. 

truck

I have a cigar lighter plug that has alligator clips on the other end and a spare 12 volt battery that I use when I remove the batteries in the trucks.
You have to be careful not to let the positive lead of the removed battery go to ground.
Like I said earlier, make sure the cigarette lighter is active before you start.

Coyote

This whole idea seems like a lot of risk just to avoid resetting the clock (an possibly some radio presets).

IBARider

Quote from: Coyote on March 20, 2009, 08:12:41 AM
This whole idea seems like a lot of risk just to avoid resetting the clock (an possibly some radio presets).

I for one am not understanding what the risks are.  This method has been used for many years in the automotive industry without, (to my knowledge), any incidence.  It was primarily used to save ecm data and in some vehicles, (toyotas) to prevent a check engine light after a battery R&R.  It's just a lot quicker to plug in external source of power than to figure out someone else's clock radio or to plug in a scanner to erase codes. 

Now do I do this on my bike.... NO  But it sure is a safe, nifty idea for those who are interested.....

04glide

Dang I just spend a minute and reset the radio. no big deal at all.

PoorUB

Quote from: IBARider on March 19, 2009, 11:18:44 AMI don't know if the premade ones at walmart or radio shack have diode in em, but my home made does not.  heck, nobody was making em when I made mine back in the 80's....

I bought one from an auto parts store in ~1978! They have had these for at least that long! And no, I don't remember the brand! :wink:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!