May 06, 2024, 11:54:52 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1976 FLH

Started by dubepj, March 17, 2009, 02:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

I found an old 1976 FLH, that the guy tells me has only about 10,000 KMS (6000) miles.  It mostly all there except one lid on the hard bags.  No windshield.  Guys says runs OK but not very fast. He says has a few leaks and smokes a little.   Carb was changed out but guy doesn't know what kind is on it now.  I think I probably get it for $6000.00.  Is this too much?  I would expect to have to do top end and to seal the primary and put on a CV carb.  What do you shovel expert think of this deal?
Thanks for the advice.

Hybredhog

6k ain't a bad price, but the more stock the better. The<< bike in my profile pic is a 76, and has 11000 miles with little if any fingered damage parts, & I paid 5k. But I did a top end, cam & lifters,prim/tranny sealing, major cleaning & polish, new paint, and it already had new tires, chain & sprockets. So How much are you ready to add on, because you'll never see that money back? If you going to make it a keeper, do it!...Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

dablaze

Yep as Jeff says, your maxed out on its value. Butyour not making an investment here...once you throw whatever you will need to do to it, you are going to be slightly over what it would normally bear on the market...but not by a ton, I would use it as a point of negotiation.

I love the '76's...paying that kind of money would not bother me for a bike I wanted to keep!

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

76shuvlinoff

I've had the same 76 flh (well at least it's still got the same frame and rear fender) for 16 seasons and I paid more than that when I got it. Hell I didn't know any better but I can't say I'm disappointed.   I figure it's just my hobby to throw some money at it to experiment and make it the way I want it ...then remake it.. repeat..  Resale?  fugedaboutit.  The family is happy to have me out in the barn between rides spinning a wrench and dreaming instead of sitting on the couch or a bar stool.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

dave_9113

<Guys says runs OK but not very fast>

What the heck does that mean?  I would offer $4-5K because you will have to do some work and hope that the bottom end is good.  If the guy owns a Shovel and doesn't know what carb he's got, you'd better be careful. 

dave 

randallwhitman

I agree with Dave......sounds like this guy is just trying to make some dough on an old HD.  Odds are good that you'll be doing a complete rebuild on the motor.  But if you want to keep it until you're too old to ride, then what the hell......go for it.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

dubepj

Thanks for all the answers guys,  Now How old is too old to ride.  I'm 57 and I hope to ride for a long time yet.  I also have a 97 FLH for the long trips.  But I can't seem to stay away from the shovels for too long.  I've bought and sold 4 so far.  I enjoy working on them and learn a lot from every one I've had.  Going for a job interview this morning so if I get the job I might buy the old girl.

motorplex88

dave_9113

57 is too old......please ship me your bike.   :wink:

dave

verson22

Offer him $4500, and be willing to walk.

Dennman

When I first saw this post,my first thought of a low mileage smoker that doesn't go very fast ,was that the bag had been run off it or the speedo replaced.$4500 tops.Have seen rebuilt dressers goin for $5000,ready ta go.These are hard times for some and fellas are unloadin their extra scoots
Don't let the bastards get you down!