May 09, 2024, 08:40:46 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

My FatBob diet. Thinking of going carbon fiber or other options.

Started by N-gin, November 25, 2014, 02:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-gin

It seems the more I do to get more performance just adds more weight... Like for instance the chain conversion.. However I've been told the belt sprockets weight more, Im willing to bet the chain tips the scale.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

04 SE Deuce

Chain is more efficient at transferring power.  FWIW   -Rick

dirty jim

I ALWAYS LIKED THE BST CARBON FIBER WHEELS, BUT $7,000 FOR A PAIR? PLUS THE TIRES AND ALL THE LITTLE BITS THAT GO WITH A WHEEL CHANGE? $7,000 WILL BUY A LOT OF HORSE POWER AND BRAKES.

turboprop

Quote from: dirty jim on November 30, 2014, 12:49:23 PM
I ALWAYS LIKED THE BST CARBON FIBER WHEELS, BUT $7,000 FOR A PAIR? PLUS THE TIRES AND ALL THE LITTLE BITS THAT GO WITH A WHEEL CHANGE? $7,000 WILL BUY A LOT OF HORSE POWER AND BRAKES.

BST carbon fiber wheels are NOT $7k a pair. More closer to half that figure.

http://www.brocksperformance.com/FL_Series+C395.aspx
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Just Nick

Don't want to steal the tread but does anyone make cf wheels for the 09up touring bikes
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

N-gin

I've made the decision if I'm going to replace the wheels I'll go with 18s. They look better and I believe they will be less weight then what's on there now. Like i said earlier these rims are not light.
My thinking is the smaller sidewall of the tire....it also appears that most of the 18 inch wheels have less meat on the wheels (more machining), for lack of a better term.
Would be nice to get some weight numbers on some of the 18 inch wheels out there.
I've looked at spokes, however nothing catches my eye. I don't think I like the spoke look..
Anyone with a fat Bob have spokes? Or maybe just for the front ???
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

1FSTRK

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

turboprop

Quote from: N-gin on November 25, 2014, 02:27:04 AM
Looking to find info on locating some carbon fiber option or just going lighter.
Items include brake and clutch levers, 18x3.75 wheel (front), front fender,  and possibly different brake setup.
For 09 FatBob

Here is my old softail with 18" rims front and rear. When I switched out the 16" wheels there was an immediate improvement in handling, then I put on the apes.....

FBobPilot

Here is a nice looking Fat Bob from a member over at HD Forum with 18" wheels, unknown how much weight was reduced:

2012 Fat Bob 107"

N-gin

Quote from: turboprop on November 30, 2014, 05:04:07 PM
Looking to find info on locating some carbon fiber option or just going lighter.
Items include brake and clutch levers, 18x3.75 wheel (front), front fender,  and possibly different brake setup.
For 09 FatBob

Here is my old softail with 18" rims front and rear. When I switched out the 16" wheels there was an immediate improvement in handling, then I put on the apes.....

Nice lookin softtail. Did you notice if the spoked wheels weighted more? I'm trying to figure out if the better handling was from a lighter wheel or bigger rim..

m1marty

Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 30, 2014, 04:45:18 PM
Spokes are HEAVY!
one of my customers has a set of (i think) Sun rims he had custom laced. 18 rear and 19 front. They are super light. Buchanan's is the place that made them.
OFFO

jmorton10

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on November 25, 2014, 01:35:02 PM

After a crash diet to remove unnecessary bling - weight 400 pounds

Bro, that bike is so beautiful.  I would give anything to have my old 57 Pan back.......

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

turboprop

Quote from: N-gin on November 30, 2014, 08:14:20 PM
Quote from: turboprop on November 30, 2014, 05:04:07 PM
For 09 FatBob

Nice lookin softtail. Did you notice if the spoked wheels weighted more? I'm trying to figure out if the better handling was from a lighter wheel or bigger rim..

Hard for me to say if the spokes weighed more, as this bike had 16" spoked wheels before the change to 18" spoked wheels. It never had a set of cast wheels on it.

vdop

I took a bunch of weight off my street bob but I never figured out exactly how much or weighed the whole bike. I did the xb wheels because they were the lightest cheapest option. Just the sport bike rubber can take 5-10 lbs a piece off. I'm running the ti-moly sidewinder sprocket which I agree is very heavy but it has held up well. I just got their basic o-ring 530 chain which seems pretty light compared to other 530s I have, much lighter than the race chain I mocked up with. It's also held up great, only adjusted twice in 8k miles and I'm not nice to it. Took a bunch of weight off the front and rear brakes, light calipers and mounts and cut the huge steel caliper mount off the swingarm. You could consider eliminating the dual disc and doing a big single with light 6 piston. I'm running aluminum dirt bike handlebars which are very light, aluminum v-rod front fender. Then added things like true track, fork brace, oil cooler, so some of it evens out. There's a lot more I'd like to do eventually, but everything I've done up to this point has been very cheap or free. Aluminum swingarm, aluminum tank and rear fender would be nice, light inverted front end. You're right about the boarzilla, the muffler is very heavy. I noticed a big increase in vibration with that thing hanging off there and it kept breaking the bracket. I'm now running a v-rod thunderheader muffler on the zilla headpipe which was probably half the weight.

boooby1744

Ceramic bearings are supposed to be a little lighter. Anyone here use them?

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.